Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What ever happend to Jeremy Brown?

Re: What ever happend to Jeremy Brown?

Though you keep missing the larger point that had the A's done better job of scouting the college ranks, where they were shopping, they could have come way with players who'd make Joey Votto nothing more than an afterthought.
    Yeah, take the entire rest of the draft after Votto (well over 1000 players) and I'm sure you can find a couple collegiate players who look better than Votto right now. Using that as a basis to criticize the As college scouting -- and as a way to belittle Votto's current status --is ridiculous.

At the very top, the As did well, primarily because they had volume. After that, they did poorly. My take is that part of the reason is that the were only looking at half the players, and in that half, they were prioritizing a player profile that doesn't translate all that well to the major leagues. They tied one hand behind their back and sold their performance as a magic trick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Shall we mention the old pastor who wrote in his notes "Weak point. Yell here?"
    You've lost me again and I'm tired of trying to keep the banter between you and I focused.

Here is something you said earlier. Looks like you're talking about more than Brown here.
    I was obviously-if scouts could be that wrong about Brown, then what other players have they been wrong about? I'm not sure why you're suggesting it was logical to narrowly interpret that statement in terms of a player's BMI.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You've lost me again and I'm tired of trying to keep the banter between you and I focused.

I was obviously-if scouts could be that wrong about Brown, then what other players have they been wrong about? I'm not sure why you're suggesting it was logical to narrowly interpret that statement in terms of a player's BMI.
    Your caps were clearly letting me know you were pounding your fist in an attempt to make your point seem more valid. Never mind on that comment.

Pardon my stupidity, but what is BMI? Body Makeup Index? Regardless, again, how were they "that wrong?" Did he provide any usefulness to the A's, esp. for a high round pick? What did they get for the resources spent on his development? 10 ML ABs? Would you consider that a success for the position counter to yours?

It is like you are touting a new oil drilling method because it produced a drop of oil but then had to be retired because that is all it produced. Again, it sounds to me like you're convinced and are looking for some evidence, any faint bit of evidence, to support your contention. Sorry, but Brown is not providing you much, no matter how close to the ground you lower the bar.

Here's a question...

If Devin M. mimics the career of Jeremy Brown, is that a success?

Your caps were clearly letting me know you were pounding your fist in an attempt to make your point seem more valid. Never mind on that comment.

Pardon my stupidity, but what is BMI? Body Makeup Index? Regardless, again, how were they "that wrong?" Did he provide any usefulness to the A's, esp. for a high round pick? What did they get for the resources spent on his development? 10 ML ABs? Would you consider that a success for the position counter to yours?

It is like you are touting a new oil drilling method because it produced a drop of oil but then had to be retired because that is all it produced. Again, it sounds to me like you're convinced and are looking for some evidence, any faint bit of evidence, to support your contention. Sorry, but Brown is not providing you much, no matter how close to the ground you lower the bar.
    Here's my argument in a nutshell-splitting the player development hair that you are completely masks that a player scouts thought shouldn't even get drafted came within a hair of of returning Oakland's investment in spades. This when 95% of all players drafted don't have the careers that Brown had with the As. Even a back up catcher in the big leagues can have tremendous worth.

The definition of success is debatable, but ignoring the details of Brown's career leaves out way too much information when it comes to valuating a player IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Here's a question...

If Devin M. mimics the career of Jeremy Brown, is that a success?
    At that point it would be pretty tough to argue that the Reds grossly misjudged his potential IMHO.

It's a crap shoot at best-especially with pitchers and catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's my argument in a nutshell-splitting the player development hair that you are completely masks that a player scouts thought shouldn't even get drafted came within a hair of of returning Oakland's investment in spades. This when 95% of all players drafted don't have the careers that Brown had with the As. Even a back up catcher in the big leagues can have tremendous worth.

The definition of success is debatable, but ignoring the details of Brown's career leaves out way too much information when it comes to valuating a player IMHO.
    Again, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The fact is, the A's got a negative return on this investment and you can't seem to accept that as a fact and have to resort to accusations of hair-splitting. Its not an indictment on the entire philosophy, but you insist on trying to make this a "win" when it just isn't. Time to move on.

Turn Off Ads?