Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about mlb.tv

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

question about mlb.tv

I've been looking into mlb.tv and it is my understanding that your home team is blacked out. What I'm wondering is how they pick the teams to black out. Is it based on your home address, or your current location? I've been wondering if I can watch the Reds on my laptop when I'm out on the road. If they base it on your billing address, I wonder if I could use my father's address in Wisconsin, or do they go with the billing address of your credit card? I thought we covered all this before, but I can't remember.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: question about mlb.tv

The blackout area goes by your home zip code but I am not sure how this is affected if you use someone else's card. If you are curious what teams are blacked for a certain zip code go to this page enter the zip and that will tell you which teams are blacked out for that zip code.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions...m.jsp?c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I've been looking into mlb.tv and it is my understanding that your home team is blacked out. What I'm wondering is how they pick the teams to black out. Is it based on your home address, or your current location? I've been wondering if I can watch the Reds on my laptop when I'm out on the road. If they base it on your billing address, I wonder if I could use my father's address in Wisconsin, or do they go with the billing address of your credit card? I thought we covered all this before, but I can't remember.
    you could do it, but you would be violating their terms of service. They base it on your zip code.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The blackout is based n the zip code of the billing address on the credit card and they are pretty firm on that...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

High five!

Two years ago, I moved from California to Tennessee during the middle of the season and I had mlb.tv. It was billed to my home address in California (paid for the whole season up front) and when I got to Tennessee, basically all of my games were blacked out. I think it does blackout by IP address.

You could always try some of the anonymous proxy web servers out there to give you a different IP if need be. If you do a google search you will be able to find alot of them. Here is just one. http://proxify.com/ The only thing left would be to use a credit card from a different zip code or setup a paypal account if they allow that to be used.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I can confirm what posters above have said. I've been able to watch Reds games with MLB.TV while visiting in the Columbus area, but the Astros games that are blacked out at home for me are also blacked out in Columbus.

Other posters have said that MLB.TV will also sometimes apply blackouts using geolocation if their system can determine whether a different blackout should be applied based on your computer's IP address. I've never had a different blackout area applied when I've connected remotely.

You might consider settling for Gameday Audio, which has no blackouts. You wouldn't get to see the game, but at least you and your laptop would get to keep up on the latest pearls of wisdom from Marty.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 02-18-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    /r/reds

They black out on the basis of zip code (billing address) but the actual mechanism involves your IP address. For instance, last year I could watch Reds games with no issues when traveling out of the restricted area (if you do have an issue on the road you can call mlb and get the issue taken care of pretty easily).

Personally, I think mlb blackout restrictions should be a matter of congressional over site (rather than hauling McNamee and Co. to capitol hill).

Oh, also, Fox essentially gets dibs on anything played Saturdays before 6-7pm so essentially all afternoon games are blacked out no matter where your IP is originating.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

My paypal account has a Mastercard attached to it, so I wonder if that would work as far as payment goes. Also, if they're going by IP address, wouldn't my wireless connection reflect whatever part of the country I happen to be in? I'm just trying to figure out how I can watch the Reds while I'm on the road. We have cable at home, but I spend 4-5 days a week on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro View Post
    You could always try some of the anonymous proxy web servers out there to give you a different IP if need be. If you do a google search you will be able to find alot of them. Here is just one. http://proxify.com/ The only thing left would be to use a credit card from a different zip code or setup a paypal account if they allow that to be used.
    I would recommend trying this...especially if they offer that free trial period again this year.

Your IP address, should reflect your hotel address when getting the internet on the road. I had no problems getting Reds games in Totonto, Atlanta, or San Diego last year for instance. I don't think you'll have any problems so long as when on the road, you're outside of "Reds" territory.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Your IP address, should reflect your hotel address when getting the internet on the road. I had no problems getting Reds games in Totonto, Atlanta, or San Diego last year for instance. I don't think you'll have any problems so long as when on the road, you're outside of "Reds" territory.
    In my case, if it reflects a hotel address, I'll be worried. Maybe it might show the location of the truck stop or whatever rest area I'm shut down in.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    In my case, if it reflects a hotel address, I'll be worried. Maybe it might show the location of the truck stop or whatever rest area I'm shut down in.
    If you're outside the black out area and are still getting blacked out, you can call mlb and they'll fix the problem for you after a few simple questions.

I'm heading to El Salvador for a couple of weeks in April. Has anyone had any experiance with MLB. tv while visiting outside of the country?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    I'm heading to El Salvador for a couple of weeks in April. Has anyone had any experiance with MLB. tv while visiting outside of the country?
    I've watched the Reds from Toronto.

Turn Off Ads?