Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nationals sign Bret Boone. Really.

Re: Nationals sign Bret Boone. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    My guess is that the Nats have a hard time winning 70 games this year.
    maybe, but I do see some good things going on there. First of all, Acta was a great hire, as was Larkin. Second they heavily invested in Latin America in 2007. Also, they went all in with kids and older rookies in 2007. I loved that move. Screw the Joe Mays of the world, give me the 28 year old that has finally seen some success at AAA. It might work, it might not. Getting Clippard was a steal IMO.

RFK was a hitters nightmare and you know JimBo loves him some offense. I'm betting the new stadium favors the hitters a bit. Kearns, Pena and Milledge could see nice offensive seasons. DY too. I'm not convinced Nick Johnson is anything more than a part time player anymore. The Nats will have some thump from the right side this year. Possibly more than anyone else in their division.

For them it all comes down to SP. I like the pen, I like the bench, I like the OF and the corner IF. 2B and SS is probably a little weak.

IMO JimBo fleeced both the Mets and the Yankees this offseason. For that alone he gets a small thumbs up.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    maybe, but I do see some good things going on there. First of all, Acta was a great hire, as was Larkin. Second they heavily invested in Latin America in 2007. Also, they went all in with kids and older rookies in 2007. I loved that move. Screw the Joe Mays of the world, give me the 28 year old that has finally seen some success at AAA. It might work, it might not. Getting Clippard was a steal IMO.

RFK was a hitters nightmare and you know JimBo loves him some offense. I'm betting the new stadium favors the hitters a bit. Kearns, Pena and Milledge could see nice offensive seasons. DY too. I'm not convinced Nick Johnson is anything more than a part time player anymore. The Nats will have some thump from the right side this year. Possibly more than anyone else in their division.

For them it all comes down to SP. I like the pen, I like the bench, I like the OF and the corner IF. 2B and SS is probably a little weak.

IMO JimBo fleeced both the Mets and the Yankees this offseason. For that alone he gets a small thumbs up.
    That new ballpark is going to be a double edged sword, i think RFK really hid some bad pitching last year. They haven't really added any so I figure they're going to struggle in the new park.
    Last edited by pedro; 02-18-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Somewhere there is an HGH poster with Bret Boone's picture on it.

Seriously, unless he stocked up on the juice on a recent trip to Tijuana, I just don't see BB making the team. And he better start taping all conversations at second base just to protect himself ;-)

At least this may give me my shot finally at getting Bret Boone to autograph my Faces of Riverfront poster. I thought I might never run into him. But I may be going to a few spring training games at the end of March, so hopefully he will still be around then. On the Nats currently, I still need Dmitri Young, Bret Boone; on the roster and then in the front office I still need Bob Boone and Barry Larkin. And of course I already have Aaron Boone; on the roster and then in the front office Jose Rijo. So if I get lucky and find all four of those at a Spring Training game down there (meaning Dmitri Young, Bret Boone, Bob Boone, and Barry Larkin) I could have a very fun and exciting afternoon and then also getting four more guys to sign my poster.

Got a question, how often do you think Bob Boone and/or Barry Larkin attend Nationals games spring training and/or regular season? I know that when I went to a Nationals game last year and and went to meet the players before the game where they came into the stadium, (I actually did this for two of the games last year) that I didn't see either of them entering the stadium, that doesn't mean that they weren't there, I just didn't see them and I am almost certain that Larkin would be more inclined to attend a spring training game and workout with them than a regular season game, at least that's my opinion. Can someone of more knowledge of this please fill me in on both of these guys, I would greatly appreciate it!

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

What is Bowden thinking? Sure he caught lightning in a bottle with Dmitri but that happens so rarely and his "must have" former Reds fixation is a sad reality for the fans of the Nationals franchise. Time for a new GM there. Maybe JimBo thinks he's playing baseball poker....
    Wooohooo- I've got "trip" Boone's!!!! Beat that Krivsky, mmmmmmwaaaaahahahahaa!

I hear Bowden was really upset when the Reds snatched up Mercker.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ok, I was interested in seeing just how many former Reds (at one point in their career were at least in the Reds organization) are currently somewhere on the Nationals payroll (whether that be on the 25 man, 40 man, minor leagues, just signed to some kind of contract, on coaching staff, front office, etc, etc, etc). This should be fun. I am getting the roster info and such from the Nationals main website (www.washingtonnationals.com). If you find any mistakes or anybody that I left off or whatnot, please just add on or whatever. I knew there were alot of guys, but I had no realization there were this many. I don't know if it is this common on other teams, who knows, from guys on the 40 man, to the non-roster invitees to the coach and then all the way to the front office guys, it just may be especially heightened in this age of free agency and the such. Anyways, thoughts on this. And this took a lot longer than what I had originally expected it to take, especially gathering all this info and such.

On the 40 Man Roster:
    1. Ryan Wagner -- RP -- With the Reds in the Majors from 2003 to 2005.
    2. Aaron Boone -- Utility IF -- With the Reds in the Majors from 1997 to 2003.
    3. Felipe Lopez -- SS -- With the Reds in the Majors from 2003 to 2006.
    4. Dmitri Young -- 1B -- With the Reds in the Majors from 1998 to 2001.
    5. Austin Kearns -- OF -- With the Reds in the Majors from 2002 to 2006.
    6. Wily Mo Pena -- OF -- With the Reds in the Majors from 2002 to 2005.

Non-Roster Invitees:
    7. Rob Bell -- P -- With the Reds in the Majors from 2000 to 2001.
    8. Ray King -- RP -- Drafted by the Reds in 1995 and traded away 1996, never played in the Majors for the Reds.
    9. Charlie Manning -- P -- Never played in the Majors for the Reds, but pitched for the Reds in the Minors for bits of the 2003 and 2004 seasons.
    10. Chad Moeller -- C -- With the Reds in the Majors in 2007.
    11. William Bergolla -- IF -- With the Reds in the Majors in 2005 (although he spent a LOT of time in the Minors with the Reds).
    12. Bret Boone -- 2B -- With the Reds in the Majors from 1994 to 1998.
    13. Antonio Perez -- IF -- Signed with the Reds in 1998 and was traded away in 2000 in the Ken Griffey, Jr. trade.

Coaches:
    14. Pat Corrales -- C -- Played with the Reds in the Majors from 1968 to 1972.
    15. Randy St. Claire -- P -- Played with the Reds in the Majors for parts of 1988.
    16. Lenny Harris -- Utility -- Played with the Reds in the Majors from 1988 to 1989 and then again he was brought back to the Reds from 1994 to 1998.

Front Office: (Now I am going to get the most of these I can, some might be left off)
    17. Jim Bowden -- Vice President & General Manager -- Correct me if I am wrong but he was with the Reds as their General Manager, only, from 1993 to 2003 when he was fired.
    18. Bob Boone -- Assistant General Manager & Vice President, Player Development -- Managed the Reds in the Majors from 2001 to 2003.
    19. Jose Rijo -- P -- With the Reds in the Majors from 1988 to 1995 then he pitched with the Reds in the Majors again from 2001 to 2002.
    20. Barry Larkin -- SS -- With the Reds in the Majors from 1986 to 2004.

I am sure that there are more, especially those in the Front Office, but this is all I looked up. And boy is it alot, and if this is similar with other teams as I stated before, would anybody here know if it was, because I would like to know and if so , well then I just wasted a lot of time typing all this out.....

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I hear Bowden was really upset when the Reds snatched up Mercker.
    Ha Ha!!!! Good one!!!! I bet if we release him out of Spring Training, he will be wearing a W on his hat instead of a C.

Now I'm starting to get concerned that the Reds broadcast booth is going to lose Jeff Brantley

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Now I'm starting to get concerned that the Reds broadcast booth is going to lose Jeff Brantley
    I'd send Jim flowers if he did us that favor.
    Go Gators!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Future press release...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- To shore up their starting rotation, the Washington Nationals signed veteran pitchers Pete Harnisch and Pete Schourek today. Jose Rijo is also expected to ink a deal, assuming his snake oil treatment will help him return following his 329th arm surgery. Nationals general manager Jim Bowden was playing video games and did not return repeated phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd send Jim flowers if he did us that favor.
    So would I.

Bowden's IQ is above 80, right?

i can't even figure out a periphrial reason for this.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I knew that I would forget one....and it is right up this alley, but the Nationals have Ray Knight. He will serve as the co-host of Nats Xtra, MASN's new pre- and post- game show.

http://masnstudios.com/2007/09/nationals-talent.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Bowden's IQ is above 80, right?

i can't even figure out a periphrial reason for this.
    Really it's just allowing a guy to go out on his own terms and doing a favor for a friend. One last ST with his brother and dad. No biggie.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?