Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nationals sign Bret Boone. Really.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Nationals sign Bret Boone. Really.

I hear the Red Sox GM, Theo Epstein, is angry with Jim for unnecessarily driving up the price of Sean Casey.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Think Deion can still play CF?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Think Deion can still play CF?

Could he ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Maybe Kevin Mitchell could be brought in to help the young OF'ers along.

Maybe Jimbo will lure Bernie Stowe out of retirement.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Maybe Kevin Mitchell could be brought in to help the young OF'ers along.
    He can babysit Millage and Dukes....err.... bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Really it's just allowing a guy to go out on his own terms and doing a favor for a friend. One last ST with his brother and dad. No biggie.
    But what if it's not? What if it's more than that?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022102803.html

"I'm going to cross my fingers as I say this. Everybody here from the front office to the coaches is just raving about the depth of talent we've got this year compared to last season," Kasten said. "Just imagine if we have a healthy [pitching ace] John Patterson. All of a sudden you are talking about us in the [pennant] race with everybody else.

"It's a heady thing to think about."

You think Stan Kasten's memory pill RX has run out?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    You think Stan Kasten's memory pill RX has run out?
    No, I think Jim Bowden has brainwashed him.

Maybe Kasten's plan after being part of such success with the Braves is to have the most dysfunctional and disastrous team in baseball
    Go Gators!

Per the Nationals website at MLB.com via Rotoworld:

In better shape than expected, Bret Boone has already been moved from minor league camp to major league camp by the Nationals.

The Nats will get Boone a lot of at-bats early on in the spring to see if he's a realistic option. If he struggles, he'll probably be quickly eliminated from the competition for roster spots.
    I predict Boone makes the team with Felipe getting cut before the roster deadline that guarantees his contract. I know this won't be popular with some, but I think the Reds should look to pick-up Felipe if that happens with an eye toward giving him some OF time. A guy who can hit LH (switch hitter actually), that can back-up the RH Hitters in the MI is a logical back-up IMO and Felipe could make a decent OF who may have the range for CF next year (maybe after playing some OF in winter ball). His LH bat would fit with Hopper/Freel while Bruce slides over to RF. I'd hope that Dunn gets extended and stays in LF, but I suspect he'll be gone and the Reds will pick-up Griffey's option or re-sign him for two years at a reduced annual cost.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I know this won't be popular with some, but I think the Reds should look to pick-up Felipe if that happens with an eye toward giving him some OF time. A guy who can hit LH (switch hitter actually), that can back-up the RH Hitters in the MI is a logical back-up IMO and Felipe could make a decent OF who may have the range for CF next year (maybe after playing some OF in winter ball). His LH bat would fit with Hopper/Freel while Bruce slides over to RF. I'd hope that Dunn gets extended and stays in LF, but I suspect he'll be gone and the Reds will pick-up Griffey's option or re-sign him for two years at a reduced annual cost.
    .260/.316/.388 Lifetime against LH's... he can't hit them at all.

I pass in my world, also pass on trying to save his career by letting him learn the OF on the Reds clock, nor would I like to see them pay for a low OPS in the OF if his only tool is he's fast and switch hits.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    .260/.316/.388 Lifetime against LH's... he can't hit them at all.

I pass in my world, also pass on trying to save his career by letting him learn the OF on the Reds clock, nor would I like to see them pay for a low OPS in the OF if his only tool is he's fast and switch hits.
    Yeah, I want him for his ability to hit Left Handed not for his ability to hit against LH. My wording was unclear. Phillips, Gonzalez, EdE, Freel and Keppinger are all RH Hitters. It would be nice to have a guy who can stand in at those spots swinging from the left side who can also be a LH bat off the bench, possibly play some OF and is athletic. Its a better use of the LHPH roster spot than having a back-up 1B who is a less powerful, slower and less versatile version of the starting 1B. It would also be a better use of a spot to have him as a LH supersub than to have three overlapping skillset RH in Keppinger (who I like a lot), Freel (who I like OK when he isn't making outs on the bases) and Hopper (who would be ok if the team didn't have those other two). I would only want him if he gets released, is cheap and if it wouldn't cost any personnel to acquire him.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-24-2008 at 11:18 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Per Rotoworld,

Bret Boone revealed Monday than an alcohol problem contributed to him walking away from the game two years ago.

Boone had gotten to the point where he would drink 12-15 beers after a game. "I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I was at a point where sometimes it was more important to me to go to a hotel bar after a game," he said. "At the end, it takes away your passion and everything inside that makes you tick. I'm not proud of it. I'm proud I took care of the situation before it got to a point where it could have." Boone said he hasn't had a drink in seven months.
    The full story is on the Nats home page.

Turn Off Ads?