Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First look at Johnny Cueto

Re: First look at Johnny Cueto

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No thanks. I don't like taking polished pitching prospects with #1/2 starter potential and moving them to the bullpen for the hell of it.
    What makes you think he has that potential? Bailey and Volquez do, but not Cueto. Top notch closing potential? Sure. But most of the "hype" of Cueto is nothing more than Bailey bashing from what I have read this winter.

Cueto doesn't have the stuff Pedro and Oswalt did. Might as well max his ability to help the team in the best way possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    What makes you think he has that potential? Bailey and Volquez do, but not Cueto. Top notch closing potential? Sure. But most of the "hype" of Cueto is nothing more than Bailey bashing from what I have read this winter.

Cueto doesn't have the stuff Pedro and Oswalt did. Might as well max his ability to help the team in the best way possible.
    1.) Well, pretty much every prospect website agrees that he has that type of upside. 2.) We've read that many Reds officials like Cueto more than Bailey. 3.) Guys that throw 92-94 and touch 95-96 with their fastball, have nasty sliders, and a solid changeup with great command don't grow on trees. That is the stuff of a TOR starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post

Career minor league K/9:
    Cueto-9.26
    Bailey-9.85
    Volquez-9.21
    Martinez-9.38
    Oswalt-9.12

stuff seems pretty comparable there...

Homer and Cueto's numbers are very comparable at every single level.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...y+Johnny+Cueto
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Homer and Cueto's numbers are very comparable at every single level.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...y+Johnny+Cueto
    Cueto was a year younger at every level too, but that completely dismisses the entire 'stuff' argument where Bailey is on a different level. Thats not a knock on Cueto who has above average stuff, but Bailey has two potential plus-plus pitches in his fastball and curveball. Cueto doesn't have one of those type of pitches. I'm just glad we still have both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cueto was a year younger at every level too, but that completely dismisses the entire 'stuff' argument where Bailey is on a different level. Thats not a knock on Cueto who has above average stuff, but Bailey has two potential plus-plus pitches in his fastball and curveball. Cueto doesn't have one of those type of pitches. I'm just glad we still have both of them.
    And Bailey walks over 2 more guys per 9 innings. They are different type pitchers. One is short, one is tall One has "plus" stuff, and the other has "good" stuff. One struggles with control, one does not. FTR, I pointed out in the thread that Cueto was a year younger at every age.

And Aronchis, if Cueto struggles as a starter you can attempt to make him a closer so he can just throw his hardest every pitch. Thats something you do if he struggles as a starter, not before.
    Last edited by reds44; 02-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

It is a mistake to assume there is prototype of the physical appearance of a starting pitcher. It is more about what the pitcher does with his mechanics to maximize his delivery. Many, including Tommy Lasorda, felt Pedro Martinez was too short to start. Oswalt, Kazmir, and Lincecum have also overcome the short label.

But what about Cueto? He may not throw as hard as the above mentioned, but how can anyone say he is too small to start until he has failed?

Unlike tall pitchers who use leverage to generate their delivery, short pitchers like Oswalt and Lincecum use the drop and drive pitching mechanics to deliver the ball with power. If they drop too low in their delivery, it’s harder to get on top of pitches and throw on a downhill plane and thus, their pitch becomes flat.

But it is hard to label pitchers. From what little I’ve seen of Cueto, he has long arms and is not a typical drop and drive short pitcher. Though he does create power with his drive, he appears to have excellent rhythm and leverage typical in taller pitchers.

I’m not about to look at a few inches of height and ignore his minor league statistics and obvious talent. I believe time will be the only test to determine Cueto’s chances to succeed as a starter.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

"I try not to get too excited about one bullpen session," Pole said. "But we've got some good arms. I was really impressed with the arm strength of (Johnny) Cueto, (Edinson) Volquez and (Josh) Roenicke. You can't teach a good fastball."
    His fastball seems to be good enough.

he'd likely be very good in a setup role to break in to the majors.

I would like it if the Reds would pull up their organization history books and look at how Mario Soto broke into the bigs. He spent several years relieving before getting a rotation spot and absolutely dominating. Having Cueto's arm on the club (assuming he's ready for the bigs) would be a major asset, even in the pen, and give Baker options should a starter need rest or what not.

btw: Soto was a short RH who did okay, and then some.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I like him as #77. It just seems to fit him well.

Ok, continue arguing.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I like him as #77. It just seems to fit him well.

Ok, continue arguing.
    Thats just how you know he is a real long shot at making the roster....

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats just how you know he is a real long shot at making the roster....
    Oh, I know. But #77 just looks cool on his back. Kind of Like "Wild Thing" Vaughn's #99 . A mere uni-related tidbit. I am a geek.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Oh, I know. But #77 just looks cool on his back. Kind of Like "Wild Thing" Vaughn's #99 . A mere uni-related tidbit. I am a geek.
    Haha, valid. I think his control is just a tad better than Vaughns lol.

Cueto seems like a #41 type of guy. I was going to say give him number 36 (Mario Soto) but Edinson Volquez is wearing that.

#34 is a perfect fit for Bailey as it seems like a lot of Texas fireballers wear that number.

Turn Off Ads?