Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New fielding ratings (SAFE)

New fielding ratings (SAFE)

Saw a story on CBS sportsline about a new fielding rating system. Here's a link to the guy's webpage. Interesting findings
    http://stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~stjen...arch/safe.html

Based on 2002 through 2005 (so not the most up to date)
    Dunn- not awful
    Phillips 2nd best at 2nd
    Griffey- 2nd worst at CF
    WMP- worst RF'
    A-Gone average
    Jeter- worst SS
    Last edited by klw; 02-18-2008 at 10:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New fielding ratings (SAFE)

It's an interesting set of findings, supporting some conventional wisdom, skewering other parts of it.

It should be noted that the numbers are from 2002-2005, so 2006-7 isn't factored in.

IMO, the most interesting part of the SAFE figures involves a certain Reds shortstop who rated higher than Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes and Khalil Greene.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's an interesting set of findings, supporting some conventional wisdom, skewering other parts of it.

It should be noted that the numbers are from 2002-2005, so 2006-7 isn't factored in.

IMO, the most interesting part of the SAFE figures involves a certain Reds shortstop who rated higher than Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes and Khalil Greene.
    This system also seems to do a damn fine job at placing defensive run values into the correct context relative to offensive and pitching run values. We're not seeing the ridiculous +25 or -25 run values that other systems toss around.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I think another thread was started talking about how WMP was last for RF. Anybody notice he was ranked 12th for CF? Been saying all along he was miscast as a corner OF. he handles the straight on balls hit to CF much better, and he's got some wheels.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Guys where I disagree
    1B Ken Harvey - I don't remember him being defensively exception (but I'll allow that I could be wrong)
    2B Tony Womack - maybe it's my utter disgust for Womack clouding my better judgement, but he just doesn't strike me as top 20 defensively.
    3B David Bell - David Bell, really? 4th? I remember him being void of any talent, offensively or defensively. South Philly still reeks from the big pile 'o cash the Phillies burned while he was there.
    SS Jose Reyes - maybe it's just the fact that 2006-07 aren't in this analysis but Reyes is far from a defensive liability in my book.

CF Darin Erstad - Maybe during the time frame encompassed in this study he might have been a top 3 defensive CF, but now he's gone the way of KGJ.
    CF Wily Mo Pena - Granted, he was MUCH better in CF than any other OF spot, but top 12? How do you go from being top 12 as a CF, and the absolute worst RF?

Since those are the only guys that really jumped out at me, I think this is a good step to offer a better defensive metric.

Any one else notice any guys that didn't click with your opinion(s)?

he handles the straight on balls hit to CF much better, and he's got some wheels.
    And bad rubber in the form of bulky hamstrings that tend to cause him trouble.

He is beefy.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?