Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunn Extension??

Re: Dunn Extention??

You think Dunn--or his people--are stupid? They know that players of Dunn's size generally have health issues sooner rather than later. I don't care what the Union is pushing for, this next contract will be setting up GENERATIONS of Dunns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW: The weight/size comps between C.C. and Dunner esp. relative to their impending FA status and desire for a long-term deal and the risk that entails could not be better parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Dunn and CC are two different animals. The Union will be pushing CC toget a huge contract because he probably will be the prized FA of next offseason. I don't think they will care too much about Dunn and his next contract considering he probably isnt one of the top 10-15 OF in the game.
    I keep hearing folks claim the union is pushing for various lengths on contracts. Could someone cite a credible source for this alleged "pushing" by the union?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    "Being their live and seeing how fast those guys go"

YOUR Reds reporter everybody!
    This is a blog entry. No editors. I miss that one quite a bit while typing on here. I'm not a big Fay fan, but dissing him for typos on a blog is a bit nitpicky.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This is a blog entry. No editors. I miss that one quite a bit while typing on here. I'm not a big Fay fan, but dissing him for typos on a blog is a bit nitpicky.
    I choose to mock.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I choose to mock.
    Good call. Stick with what your good at.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Good call. Stick with what your good at.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It's a professional blog on his employer's site. He should be expected to edit his own copy. Mistakes do happen, but they're never excusable.

FWIW, I'm in the exact same boat with the blog I write and maintain for my employer. We have advertising associated with it and the expectation is that it be professionally written and edited. If it's not, then that's 100% on me.
    Last edited by M2; 02-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd see if the Reds could get 4 years in the range of $55-60 mil. If not, I would try to work out an arrangement with a contender where the contender can extend thus making the Reds' return more favorable.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe the Reds want to see what Bruce can do before deciding on Dunn?

We all know they're stacked with lefty hitters....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Maybe the Reds want to see what Bruce can do before deciding on Dunn?

possible but I doubt it. The Reds will need two replacements in 2009 and I am sure they are going to count on Bruce no matter how he fares early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Most pitchers are right handed.
    Go Gators!

Re: Dunn Extension??

I saw this post on the Sun Deck. Looks like good news on the contract talks front. Credit to K-GAR for the post.

it wasn't a long segment but was definitely entertaining, Chris Fowler asked "aren't you supposed to be in an intrasquad game instead of on radio", Dunn replied with "man, when i make a promise to do something, i do it."

Kirk asked him about his impending contract and being a free agent and he replied saying "we're on the right track" (regarding talks i'd assume), and said he's "been here (cincy) from the start" and "wants to be here to the end."

Fowler also asked why he thought the reds could contend this year and he immediately talked about Cordero and how shoring up that position and allowing weathers to get to his natural setup position would be the biggest difference.

He also said some interesting things regarding Dusty and Narron. He inadvertenly called out Narron for not being much of a manager, said he could tell with Dusty that he has times he's playing and has times when he's serious and you know which is which. Kirk then asked if he thought the club was too loose last year and you could tell Dunn didn't want to pile on, but he did say "you know last year when we didn't get a runner over or something like that, it really wasn't a big deal and you can tell with Dusty that stuff like that will be a big deal"

He sounded really enthused and excited, came off real well in the interview i thought.

also, pretty funny part, they asked if was playing in the opener against philly tomorrow and he said "nah man, i've got a two bridge rule.....if we have to cross more than two bridges to get there, i don't go"

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65739

Here is the link to Tirico's interview with Dunn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ast&id=3265846

It's about 3/4 the way through the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I saw this post on the Sun Deck. Looks like good news on the contract talks front. Credit to K-GAR for the post.

it wasn't a long segment but was definitely entertaining, Chris Fowler asked "aren't you supposed to be in an intrasquad game instead of on radio", Dunn replied with "man, when i make a promise to do something, i do it."

Kirk asked him about his impending contract and being a free agent and he replied saying "we're on the right track" (regarding talks i'd assume), and said he's "been here (cincy) from the start" and "wants to be here to the end."

Fowler also asked why he thought the reds could contend this year and he immediately talked about Cordero and how shoring up that position and allowing weathers to get to his natural setup position would be the biggest difference.

He also said some interesting things regarding Dusty and Narron. He inadvertenly called out Narron for not being much of a manager, said he could tell with Dusty that he has times he's playing and has times when he's serious and you know which is which. Kirk then asked if he thought the club was too loose last year and you could tell Dunn didn't want to pile on, but he did say "you know last year when we didn't get a runner over or something like that, it really wasn't a big deal and you can tell with Dusty that stuff like that will be a big deal"

He sounded really enthused and excited, came off real well in the interview i thought.

also, pretty funny part, they asked if was playing in the opener against philly tomorrow and he said "nah man, i've got a two bridge rule.....if we have to cross more than two bridges to get there, i don't go"

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65739
    This is good news. Since it looks like the whole Joe Blanton trade issue is dead with the Fogg signing, the first order of business is to get Dunn signed IMO. Dunn is a true offensive force who has strengths that translate both at home and on the road. You can see that Dunn looks much leaner in 2008 and I believe that his knee issues were much more limiting than we common folk ever knew. I believe they not only resulted in mobility problems directly but also were compounded because it helped to prevent Dunn from doing things necessary to stay in shape. I expect greater mobility on the bases, better range in the field and a leaner, meaner Dunn to have a monster season in 2008. I know the concerns about his body type, but Dunn is still just 28 and a 4 year deal should be ok for him. My fear is that Dunn is allowed to walk and the team will pick-up Griffey's option as a fallback plan. I think that Griffey is a huge step down from Dunn on both offense and defense at this point but the team probably can't afford to lose them both after 2008.

I'd go up to 4 years (starting in 2008 in place of his current $13 Million deal) at $15 million per year, with a $3 Million signing bonus and an option for a 5th year at $15 Million with a $2 Million buy-out. That is $65 Million for 4 years guaranteed or $78 Million for 5 years if the option is picked-up. I have a feeling it will look like a bargain at season's end.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?