Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Javier Valentin overawed by Volquez

Re: Javier Valentin overawed by Volquez

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    oh I figure that Valentin is a great source-- he was probably looking forward to seeing the boss's big off-season acquisition, but then compared to the other Reds' arms, this kid's curveball apparently looked like it was thrown by a 9th grader

curveball was supposedly the Difference for him. He had no curve, got shelled at the upper levels, then finally found it for a year and blossomed. Now, perhaps he's completely lost it -- hopefully, temporarily. Makes you think of Ryan Wagner, who threw the Brigadoon of Sliders for exactly one season. Never threw it like that before, never found it again. It happens.

got lots of work to do.
    it's

one

freaking

day.

it's a quote from a backup catcher that has no business on the roster much less slamming his new pitcher.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I love quoting Bob Gibson:

"A curve ball is not something you can pick up overnight. It took me years to perfect mine."

wonder where Volquez will be playing when he finally picks it up?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    "The only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it. Get back behind the plate unless you want the medic to carry you back to the dugout." -- Bob Gibson
    No doubt to Tim McCarver. I'm sure he was annoying as a teammate as well.

Well I think Javy came to camp looking like a dirigible.

Maybe he needs to stop working on the buffet table.

I'm hardly concerned about this on the first day. Classic overreaction.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

wonder where Volquez will be playing when he finally picks it up?
    Dag, Princeton, you are sounding like Bad Fundamentals did toward Adam Dunn

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Before we draw and quarter Javy, it might be advisable to take into account that the guy doesn't exactly have a overwhelming command of the english language. That quote looks a.) like it could be a bit out of context and b.) has something lost in translation (so to speak). I could easily read into it that Javy was saying the kid can bring it, put him in the bull pen or whatever, just make sure you keep him around. (the glass is still half full)
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Well I think Javy came to camp looking like a dirigible.

Maybe he needs to stop working on the buffet table.

I'm hardly concerned about this on the first day. Classic overreaction.
    Hey Javy shut up, lose some weight, and quit swinging for the fences on every swing and I will pay a little more attention to you.

oh I figure that Valentin is a great source-- he was probably looking forward to seeing the boss's big off-season acquisition, but then compared to the other Reds' arms, this kid's curveball apparently looked like it was thrown by a 9th grader

curveball was supposedly the Difference for him. He had no curve, got shelled at the upper levels, then finally found it for a year and blossomed. Now, perhaps he's completely lost it -- hopefully, temporarily. Makes you think of Ryan Wagner, who threw the Brigadoon of Sliders for exactly one season. Never threw it like that before, never found it again. It happens.

got lots of work to do.
    No one had a curve like Chris Gruler.. nobody

Looks like the coaches were a little more "overawed"....or at least more media savvy :

Fay's blog:
    I talked to experts about the young arms today. Both Dick Pole and Dusty Baker were impressed by Monday's first session by the guys they hadn't seen.

"I try not to get too excited about one bullpen session," Pole said. "But we've got some good arms. I was really impressed with the arm strength of (Johnny) Cueto, (Edinson) Volquez and (Josh) Roenicke. You can't teach a good fastball."

Said Baker: "They're looking good. Some guys ahead of other guys, especially the ones who play played Winter Ball. They have a big advantage because they're ready. They looked real good. But we've got good arms in this camp. Good young arms. Good veterans arms.

"Hopefully, we'll have a big pot to chose from."

Baker mentioned Scott Sauerbeck, the left-hander from Northwest High and Miami University, as one of the impressive veteran arms. That's the second time Baker's singled out Sauerbeck. Sauerbeck pitched last year in the minors for Houston and Toronto. He's 20-17 with 3.82 ERA in 487 big league games.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Before we draw and quarter Javy, it might be advisable to take into account that the guy doesn't exactly have a overwhelming command of the english language. That quote looks a.) like it could be a bit out of context and b.) has something lost in translation (so to speak). I could easily read into it that Javy was saying the kid can bring it, put him in the bull pen or whatever, just make sure you keep him around. (the glass is still half full)
    I agree. I say conversations between Fay and Valentin should require two interpreters.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Looks like the coaches were a little more "overawed".

BMO, the positive statements that come out of early spring training are rarely predictive, unless such statements are about a pretty obscure player. Volquez's trade partner Josh Hamilton, for instance, drew enormous praise last year

early negative comments, on the other hand, are more likely to come home to roost.

BMO, the positive statements that come out of early spring training are rarely predictive, unless such statements are about a pretty obscure player. Volquez's trade partner Josh Hamilton, for instance, drew enormous praise last year

early negative comments, on the other hand, are more likely to come home to roost.
    Someone is a:

Oh geez....So you are going to bank on what Javier freaking Valentin said about a young gun like Volquez based on ONE day of ONE workout. Seems like you're reaching a bit, looks like you just don't like the trade and are looking for the first little bit of dirty laundry to blow out of proportion.

By the way, his offspeed stuff looks fine to me.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...e=v_free&_mp=1
    Last edited by Tommyjohn25; 02-19-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Volquez's trade partner Josh Hamilton, for instance, drew enormous praise last year.
    I fail to see how that backs up your argument. If anything it contradicts it, as Hamilton had a pretty dang good season last year, all things considered.

Ok, but I'm going to a different tea leaves reader for a second opinion. Or maybe I'll try a tarot card expert.

Turn Off Ads?