Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Javier Valentin overawed by Volquez

Re: Javier Valentin overawed by Volquez

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    oh I figure that Valentin is a great source-- he was probably looking forward to seeing the boss's big off-season acquisition, but then compared to the other Reds' arms, this kid's curveball apparently looked like it was thrown by a 9th grader

curveball was supposedly the Difference for him. He had no curve, got shelled at the upper levels, then finally found it for a year and blossomed. Now, perhaps he's completely lost it -- hopefully, temporarily. Makes you think of Ryan Wagner, who threw the Brigadoon of Sliders for exactly one season. Never threw it like that before, never found it again. It happens.

got lots of work to do.
    Princeton, I respect your opinions and all, but, man, I think you are way over-reacting on this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hummmm...someone who didn't like the Hamilton trade pouncing on a comment by a poor-english speaking, 2nd string catcher on the 1st day of camp about one of the two arms we got in return?

No adgenda there at all is there?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

All you have to do is look at highlights of Volquez on his mlb.com page to know that his breaking ball is behind his fastball and change. He may have struggled with his change in his first bullpen of the spring -- that's first bullpen of the spring, for those counting bullpens at home -- but the changeup, more than any other pitch, is a "feel" pitch. You're not going to have great feel at this point.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I fail to see how that backs up your argument.
    as I said, very high praise for obscure players (e.g., a Rule V choice) can be noteworthy, as can negative comments about more important players

OTOH, general polite praise for guys that really should perform for you doesn't tend to be very predictive. I often hear "so-and-so has worked hard on his changeup" only to watch that changeup junked within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hummmm...someone who didn't like the Hamilton trade pouncing on a comment by a poor-english speaking, 2nd string catcher on the 1st day of camp about one of the two arms we got in return?

No adgenda there at all is there?
    I was hoping to hear that Edinson's new teammates have nicknamed him Little Cy, not Little Whatever

I was hoping to hear that Edinson's new teammates have nicknamed him Little Cy, not Little Whatever
    Yes, because that's what has clearly happened.

Is this a slow news day and you're just looking to get something going?

By the way, if you are going to whip up a phantom argument, you could at least publish the entire quote correctly. You left out...
    But he's a got a good arm. His fastball moves. He's a good real live arm. That's what you need.
    Move along folks...nothing to see here.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The bulpen? How ironic.

I was just thinking the other day that the bullpen would be a perfect place for Javy.

come back, Roy Hobbs
    I can't seem to find his splits but I'm pretty sure Roy Hobbs could hit lefties.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The is the funniest thread of the off season.

Good stuff on both sides of the "argument".

Classic Redszone.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I'm pretty sure Hobbs wasn't a crack addict too. That may sound harsh, but Hamilton is a ticking time-bomb. I hope it ticks forever, but the only way it stops is when he's dead or using. This was a risk-reward trade that cost the Reds about $100,000 worth of investment and a year of the league minimum salary.

I get on Krivsky as much or more than anyone else, but this was a damn fine trade.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Nothing is as unimportant as ONE bullpen session on February 18th. Wake me up when he faces live pitching and isn't trying to overthrow to impress his new coaches/teammates.

Add in the language factor and I think this story is about as pointless as it comes.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    All you have to do is look at highlights of Volquez on his mlb.com page to know that his breaking ball is behind his fastball and change. He may have struggled with his change in his first bullpen of the spring -- that's first bullpen of the spring, for those counting bullpens at home -- but the changeup, more than any other pitch, is a "feel" pitch. You're not going to have great feel at this point.

Yeah, he didn't exactly come here with a 12-6 curve. So I'm not too concerned that Javy trashes his breaking stuff.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, he didn't exactly come here with a 12-6 curve.
    is it a 12:05?

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Before we draw and quarter Javy, it might be advisable to take into account that the guy doesn't exactly have a overwhelming command of the english language. That quote looks a.) like it could be a bit out of context and b.) has something lost in translation (so to speak). I could easily read into it that Javy was saying the kid can bring it, put him in the bull pen or whatever, just make sure you keep him around. (the glass is still half full)

I read the Valetin comment as a slam at first just as almost everyone else did but then after rereading it I came to the same conclusion as the above quote. In fact I believe almost everyone is reading it wrong. Javy knows there is a lot of competition for the pitching staff...He felt like his curve needed work but his arm is really good and basically said..."if you have to put him in the bullpen....he shouldn't be in the minors..."

Read what he said...He said positive after positive after the offspeed comment... It leads me to believe he really liked him.

"He needs to work on his offspeed stuff," Valentin said. "It was his first day. maybe he was trying to impress. But he's a got a good arm. His fastball moves. He's a good real live arm. That's what you need. Put him in the bullpen or whatever."

This year is going to be fun...Redszone is already blowing up and it is still Feb.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?