Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trying not to cuss

Re: Trying not to cuss

Believe it or not, the "fake" words aren't always substituting for what someone's really thinking. It's possible that some people don't have the "bad" words on their mind at all. For me, words like shoot and daggone just come out. You don't have to worry about something else slipping in that case. And I know I'm not cool, so who cares? I don't think people should assume that any word is a substitute for anything else. Don't you think that maybe they should be given the benefit of the doubt?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    Believe it or not, the "fake" words aren't always substituting for what someone's really thinking. It's possible that some people don't have the "bad" words on their mind at all. For me, words like shoot and daggone just come out. You don't have to worry about something else slipping in that case. And I know I'm not cool, so who cares? I don't think people should assume that any word is a substitute for anything else. Don't you think that maybe they should be given the benefit of the doubt?
    I see your point. That's pretty much where I am. I just don't like to use foul language. But you have to wonder about the origin of the substitute words. I think they came about in an effort to avoid the other word, even if some of us aren't tempted to use the other words in the first place. And of course the point of my initial post was to kind of poke fun at that mindset, like my wife's grandmother using bangladeshi instead of bugger.

I love to swear in both English and Italian

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The worse cuss word I can think of right now is "cheap freight." I just lost a load bid on an expedited load board to some other company that bid .50 a mile to run a 600 mile time sensitive run. Who in the @#$% can afford to run for .50 a mile? A trend nowadays is for carriers to combine several small loads onto a larger truck and run each load for a rate too low to be run in an exclusive vehicle. That's making it harder for smaller companies like me that run smaller vehicles to find freight that pays well enough. When companies do junk like that, the shippers start expecting to pay those rates going forward and then more drivers are forced to either haul cheap junk or sit. It has me on the verge of using some language I'm normally not tempted to use.

my college coach says "dookie" a lot. It's hard not to erupt in laughter when he's trying to chew us out. "Stop playing grab butt out there. Dookie plays!"
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    I am speaking more about kids than I am anything. You know they want to cuss, but are afraid of getting in trouble, so they use the "fake" words.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    my college coach says "dookie" a lot. It's hard not to erupt in laughter when he's trying to chew us out. "Stop playing grab butt out there. Dookie plays!"

OK, Who made a dookie in the school urinal?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I cuss only when I'm mad, or agitated. I've found that if I use a substitute like "darn," or something like that, I'm only holding in my anger. Since I'm not one that holds in anger well, I usually just say what I want to say, and move on. I feel a little better if I just vent, rather than hold it in.

There are some people that I've met before that would see me for almost a month before they heard me cuss. The looks on their faces when they would hear me drop a F-bomb for the first time would be priceless!
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 02-22-2008 at 03:58 PM.

I think that words and language for cultures change over time.

It seems to me that most usage of words today that are called profanity are expressions of frustration or fear. They don’t really reference an act of procreation or the passing of bodily waste, they are often used to express an upset or a frustration.

Instead of correctly saying that I am perplexed and frustrated over something, I in the past might have uttered you f ing such and such gd this and that. Or ah S… when actually I was afraid of some negative consequences that might not even occur, I should have just said that I was worried and afraid of a bad outcome.

Sometimes I just found myself being lazy and not expressing or communicating correctly, opting for profanity and eventually through not exercising a proper vocabulary, losing that vocabulary to the use of profanity. I think that I have changed that in my mind now and no longer take the cheap way out with profanity that really doesn‘t explain much to other‘s that might hear me anyway. I think!! I hope so, I got tired of hearing myself.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post

It seems to me that most usage of words today that are called profanity are expressions of frustration or fear. They don’t really reference an act of procreation or the passing of bodily waste, they are often used to express an upset or a frustration.

Instead of correctly saying that I am perplexed and frustrated over something, I in the past might have uttered you f ing such and such gd this and that. Or ah S… when actually I was afraid of some negative consequences that might not even occur, I should have just said that I was worried and afraid of a bad outcome.

Sometimes I just found myself being lazy and not expressing or communicating correctly, opting for profanity and eventually through not exercising a proper vocabulary, losing that vocabulary to the use of profanity. I think that I have changed that in my mind now and no longer take the cheap way out with profanity that really doesn‘t explain much to other‘s that might hear me anyway. I think!! I hope so, I got tired of hearing myself.
    F@#$'in Good Post!
    Witty signature.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post

Man, you must be really old.

Just kidding. My mother always told me curse words were largely used by people who were either too lazy to think of a more descriptive word or too poorly educated to know one. I'm old too, so I now agree with her assessment.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?