Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...021908.article

If he were a rapper, he'd be Vanilla Ice. If he were a trashy figure skater, he'd be Tonya Harding. If he were dead, he'd be Anna Nicole Smith. As a major-league baseball manager, he is no better at the moment than Terry Bevington, who at least produced 85 and 80 wins in his two full seasons as a much-ridiculed Sox skipper. Last season, Guillen finished 72-90 with a $100 million-plus payroll and few major injuries. While Cubs counterpart Lou Piniella was a candidate for Manager of the Year, he was the clearcut Underachiever of the Year.

So why pay any attention to him? He's nothing but a megalomaniac driven by how much we talk and write about him, which tends to trivialize the more important mission of inspiring the Sox toward some state of contention in the game's most difficult division. I mean, have you ever sat back and absorbed what comes out of Guillen's mouth? It isn't funny. It's mindless.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

So why pay any attention to him? He's nothing but a megalomaniac driven by how much we talk and write about him, which tends to trivialize the more important mission of inspiring the Sox toward some state of contention in the game's most difficult division.
    So he writes something to feed the megalomaniac. Brilliant!

Jay is just mad because Ozzie has publicily trashed him in the past

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Mariotti has taken his personal feud with Guillen public (over at least the last two years) in an extremely vindictive and unprofessional manner. I saw him blabbering on about Guillen in one of the ESPN talking head shows a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. Mariotti once worked for the late, great Cincy Post, IIRC.

It makes me yearn for the days of Jim Murray, a guy who knew how to write with biting wit without being a crass bore.

Surely, Chicago can do better than this guy!

When you win World Series titles as often as the city of Chicago it's easy to take the managers who've won those titles for granted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Guillen called a spade a spade when he called out Mariotti. And Mariotti continues to prove Guillen right by whining in his columns. Mariotti comes across as the childish hack that he is. The fact that ESPN gives this guy an everyday role on Around the Horn is amazing. Of course, the "talent" on that show is pretty bad anyway (see Woody Paige and the 13-year-old host) so maybe he fits right in.

If Jay Mariotti were a journalist, he'd be...............

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Mariotti has taken his personal feud with Guillen public (over at least the last two years) in an extremely vindictive and unprofessional manner. I saw him blabbering on about Guillen in one of the ESPN talking head shows a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. Mariotti once worked for the late, great Cincy Post, IIRC.

It makes me yearn for the days of Jim Murray, a guy who knew how to write with biting wit without being a crass bore.

Surely, Chicago can do better than this guy!
    Journalism has gotten that way as of late. Look at this city and their favorites and the players they don't like. Unfortunatly jounalists think that they need to force their opninon on others instead of writing about the topic.

He's nothing but a megalomaniac driven by how much we talk and write about him
    Was this an autobiographical story by Mariotti? I wonder how he pulled himself off the ESPN hot-seat to write this blurb...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If I didn't know better, I'd say this is a work to keep people buying papers. Ozzie trashes Jay, Jay trashes Ozzie and it gets people talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

True story...

I have a friend that is a diehard Cubs fan (unfortunately) and I cannot remember what year it was exactly, but I guess Jay was failing to cover much of anything of the Cubs and so my friend wrote his email address and was just saying that he thought that Jay could benefit from writing more stories about the Cubs (since he does write for a major Chicago paper) and Jay wrote back and said, "I'm a journalist -- respect that." No lie!

Is that from his photo-op for his guest appearance on Full House?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    When you win World Series titles as often as the city of Chicago it's easy to take the managers who've won those titles for granted.
    My sarcasm detector is off the charts!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

They are both complete hacks. Weenies too.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?