Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

Re: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If Jay Mariotti were a journalist, he'd be...............
    Is this one of these ACT-type questions???
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jay Mariotti =
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

a red X? i could see that!

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'll bet Jay Mariotti is fun at parties.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Marioti and the White Sox. Snooze. As big a sports town as this city is, got no play. They're over this kind of junk from him regarding the sox. Horrible, horrible article.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Mariotti reminds me of the geek who isnt like the sad geek, but the tries-too-hard geek. Sorta pathetic.

Haunted by walks

Ohio University grad ...

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Mariotti reminds me of the geek who isnt like the sad geek, but the tries-too-hard geek. Sorta pathetic.
    Like this geek?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Ohio University grad ...
    Wrong side of the street on Friday night is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Guillen called a spade a spade when he called out Mariotti. And Mariotti continues to prove Guillen right by whining in his columns. Mariotti comes across as the childish hack that he is. The fact that ESPN gives this guy an everyday role on Around the Horn is amazing. Of course, the "talent" on that show is pretty bad anyway (see Woody Paige and the 13-year-old host) so maybe he fits right in.
    Woody Paige is a fantastic columnist for the Denver Post. Just because he plays the joker on ATH doesn't take away from his writing. He is fantastic and I read him daily (or at least the three columns he'll write a week).

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Woody Paige is a fantastic columnist for the Denver Post. Just because he plays the joker on ATH doesn't take away from his writing. He is fantastic and I read him daily (or at least the three columns he'll write a week).
    http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/woody%20paige

link to FJM and tag: Woody Paige
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1339701.story

Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti resigns

By Jim Kirk

Tribune staff reporter

9:39 PM CDT, August 26, 2008

Jay Mariotti, the opinionated and polarizing sports columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, told the Chicago Tribune he resigned on Tuesday after 17 years with the paper.

Just back from Beijing where he wrote about the Summer Olympics, Mariotti said in a phone interview Tuesday night that he decided to quit after it became clear while in China that sports journalism had become "entirely a Web site business. There were not many newspapers there.'' He added that most of the journalists covering the Games were "there writing for Web sites.''

Mariotti, whose public battles with fellow staffers, team owners, and rival columnists are legendary, didn't disclose any specific plans except to say he will continue doing his regular stint on ESPN's "Around the Horn.''

He said that he "is talking with a lot of Web sites'' and added that the future of his business "sadly is not in newspapers.''

Mariotti said that he sent a resignation letter to Cyrus Freidheim, Sun-Times Media Group Chief Executive and Sun-Times Publisher. When asked via email by the Tribune whether Mariotti had resigned, Sun-Times Editor Michael Cooke responded, "You're kidding?''

Cooke didn't reply to further requests for comment.

"They accepted it,'' Mariotti said of his resignation. "It was my call entirely.''

In a city with a strong sports journalism tradition, Mariotti is thought of as one of its premier columnists. With a style that relied on being contrarian no matter the topic, readers turned to him as much to disagree with what he had to say than agree. He added to his reputation with the scrapes he got in with the subjects he covered.

The highly-paid Mariotti quits after just signing a three-year contract extension in June. At that time, Cooke said that Mariotti was a "focal point'' of the Sun-Times sports section, praising his "pull no punches'' approach.

Commenting on his 17 years at the paper, Mariotti said he loved every minute of it. But he said that with the troubled times newspapers face, it was time to consider a new future.

"I'm a competitor and I get the sense this marketplace doesn't compete,'' he said. "Everyone is hanging on for dear life at both papers. I think probably the days of high stakes competition in Chicago are over.

"To see what's happened in this business...I don't want to go down with it.''

Seems he was well-liked and will be missed:

Good riddance

Sun-Times editor Michael Cooke said it best.

''We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days,'' Cooke said. ''A paper, like a sports franchise, is something that moves into the future. Stars come and stars go, but the Sun-Times sports section was, is and will continue to be the best in the city.''

Today, it's a little better.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Seems he was well-liked and will be missed:
    wow. That was one of the most scathing articles I've ever seen.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    wow. That was one of the most scathing articles I've ever seen.
    If there's anything more scathing than that, I'd sure like to see it.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?