Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

Re: Jay Mariotti on Ozzie Guillen - Leaves me speechless.

Thing is, Mariotti is right. His former co-workers might have taken offense that he said it, but they can't dispute his assertion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That link (down in the comments section) to Rick Telander's take on this reflected similar opinion. I have always respected Telander's writing, and he seems elated at these events also.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm sure he would have been fired a million times if the people in his department could have, but name guys are often protected by the suits who read circulation numbers. And nothing takes an obnoxious jerk to the next level like the belief he's untouchable.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Wow! That was some article. And by his former paper nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

mariotti was awful...the sun-times and ozzie are still awful...

Haunted by walks

I worked with him on the college paper at Ohio University. He was like that then. He'll find that jaymariotti.com will have less clout and a lot more competition than being Mr. Big City Bomb-Throwing Sports Columnist. The fans will find it easy to go elsewhere. If they find value in what you do, like with C. Trent, they'll pay you some mind. But not because you're one of a few who have a bully pulpit in a big city.

The future of newspapers is a whole other topic, and Mariotti's not really the guru there.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I worked with him on the college paper at Ohio University. He was like that then. He'll find that jaymariotti.com will have less clout and a lot more competition than being Mr. Big City Bomb-Throwing Sports Columnist. The fans will find it easy to go elsewhere. If they find value in what you do, like with C. Trent, they'll pay you some mind. But not because you're one of a few who have a bully pulpit in a big city.

The future of newspapers is a whole other topic, and Mariotti's not really the guru there.
    This is pretty much my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

You worked for the Post? Sweet!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Print media is dead...not just a little bit either.

I think he did the right thing to leave. He'll have a following for the same reason he became successful in the first place AND on top of that, he has a recognition as a voice people are familiar with already.

Print media by and large has gotten fat and lazy the same way radio and TV have gotten fat and lazy allowing "nobodies" like Drudge and several others beat them to the punch in delivering the latest up to the minute news.

OU, I almost went to OU for journalism myself...almost...ended up at OSU studying poli-sci instead...should have gone to OU.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Print media is dead...not just a little bit either.
    There will always be a market

That was one scathing article, for sure. The opinions seem unanimous from anyone who had to deal with him.

I think he needs some makeup tips too. Seems like he's using too much mascara when I see him on ESPN.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I think he needs some makeup tips too. Seems like he's using too much mascara when I see him on ESPN.

The voice of experience? :
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I like Mariotti. He may come off as an idiot but he is the kind of journalist I would like to have in this town. For my knowledge he doesn't back down from anyone. He sure has had his run ins with Ozzie but at the same time I would love to see a Cincinnati journalist take aim at Dusty. In reality the only reporter who has asked the tough questions over this past season is C Trent.

Whether you like him or not Mariotti now has a 3 page thread going on a Reds message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

as long as people own birds in cages

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I still buy and read the paper, personally I read enough on the net, sometimes I want to read something that isn't electronic, something I can roll up, scrawl on, carry with me in my hand without worrying about losing it.

I won't stop buying the paper, and I won't stop getting the Sunday one placed on my stoop either... that said Mariotti is a bore and a blowhard, who uses personal attacks to cover up his lack of knowledge or insight about the game.

Turn Off Ads?