Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Giants fans don't want Rich Aurilia starting any more than Reds fans did

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Giants fans don't want Rich Aurilia starting any more than Reds fans did

http://www.marinij.com/giants/ci_8312608
    SPRING TRAINING
    2007 Aurilia pain the neck for Rich
    Fans soured on veteran infielder who struggled to recapture old Giants magic
    By Andrew Baggarly, MEDIANEWS STAFF

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — During a question-and-answer session at FanFest earlier this month, someone asked Giants manager Bruce Bochy about his plans for third base. Bochy mentioned Rich Aurilia. Groans followed. A few boos, too.

For Aurilia? The only player remaining from the 2002 World Series team? The guy who hit six home runs that postseason? A fan favorite during the prime of the Giants' renaissance years?

"I don't see how you can boo Rich Aurilia," Giants outfielder Randy Winn said. "He played so many years on so many good teams here. Maybe they were unhappy the team didn't sign Alex (Rodriguez) or something like that."

Or maybe they are ready to move beyond the Barry Bonds era and would rather see a prospect than take a nostalgia trip. Either way, Aurilia's contract expires after this season, and another difficult year would turn his happy homecoming into an awkward exit.

Aurilia is optimistic, saying his injured neck has recovered and he is determined to start on opening day.

"You want all the younger guys to do well and be professional as they go about their business and that's something I can offer to those guys," Aurilia said. "But you know what? I want to go out and play. And I want to win. And I'm going to do everything I can to accomplish both those things. Regardless of who the fans want to play third, I'm just going to do my job and help this team." All of Aurilia's accomplishments with the Giants — seven opening-day starts, the banner 37-homer/206-hit season in 2001, helping four clubs reach the playoffs — didn't make last season's numbers any glossier. Amid two stints on the disabled list, he hit .252 with five home runs in 99 games.

Aurilia said he understands if fans believe he's not the same player. He didn't recognize himself last year, either. He hit .339 over his first 16 games before his neck stiffened up and remained that way for the rest of the season. Eventually, Aurilia realized the problem: a car accident in spring training, when he was rear-ended on the way to Scottsdale Stadium.

"It didn't bother me for two months, but I talked to several people who say necks can be funny like that," Aurilia said.

"All I know is sleeping wrong shouldn't make you feel like that. I was miserable from May on. My mood at home was miserable. I wasn't the same person."

How did the injury affect his hitting?

"Well, for starters, I couldn't turn my head to face the pitcher," he said. "It threw everything off from there. ... But I take responsibility for my performance. I was out there playing. Whether I was 100 percent or not, I could have said, 'I can't play.' That was my choice."

Aurilia had two rounds of cortisone injections that brought temporary relief. But the pain didn't go away until this winter, through rest and work with a physical therapist.
    Now, in the final year of his contract, he is pain-free and hopes to be the player who hit .300 with 23 home runs for the Cincinnati Reds in 2006.

"There's no question we need him," Bochy said. "We need his bat, we need his glove at third, and he'll play a big part in our season."

While the Giants don't have an everyday third base prospect to push Aurilia, there's a good chance they will trade for White Sox third baseman Joe Crede. In that event, they'll still need Aurilia to back up at all four infield positions and be a safety net in case Daniel Ortmeier flops at first base.

Aurilia understands if some fans consider him a favorite VHS highlight tape in a Blu-Ray world.

"If they get another third baseman, they can cheer him," Aurilia said. "It doesn't change the way I go about my job. I play hard every day like I've always done. Fans have that right to cheer or boo whomever they want. I've come off a bad year and proven people wrong before. I'm looking for the opportunity to do that again."

And, hopefully, be a fan favorite.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Giants fans don't want Rich Aurilia starting any more than Reds fans did

There was quite a bit of teeth grinding over the Reds not resigning him last year if memory serves. Amazing what one year does for the memory of some folks. Now its "thank god".
    Giants are going to be awful in impressive fashion this year. Sabean has really outdone himself. If it werent for Zito, Lincecum & Cain, I'd say they would be game for 115 losses easy.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-20-2008 at 11:16 AM.

He hit .339 over his first 16 games before his neck stiffened up and remained that way for the rest of the season.
    Common reaction when you have to look over your shoulder all the time to see the end of your career creeping up on you.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Can y ou blame Giant fans?

At some point you hope your GM wises up and looks at the facts, not 2001.

How could anyone not like the Nature Boy? Whoooo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Can y ou blame Giant fans?

At some point you hope your GM wises up and looks at the facts, not 2001.
    Their "depth chart" is depressing... if you're a Giants fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/depth?team=sfo
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Giant fans can't wait for Angel Villalona, eh? Can't say I blame them. He'd probably be as productive at this point.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I'm so glad this is someone else's problem now.
    Go Gators!

The Reds got a compensatory draft pick for Aurilia and arguably turned it into their best prospect outside of the Fearsome Four (Todd Frazier). Kudos to Krivsky for not offering that extension and instead electing to obtain Jeff Keppinger.

All dyslexics must untie!

"Fannnns won't give Rich credit (credit)

Bruce still gives him love"

(and PT)
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?