Hernandez, Fe.
    Martin, R.
    Myers, B.
    Ortiz, D.
    Upton
    Verlander

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Crunch Time: Who do I keep?

Ortiz, Felix, Martin is probably who I would keep. I'd give serious consideration to Upton and Granderson as well, but would keep the three I listed.

Martin is a top 2 catcher and will only get better.
    Ortiz is a lock for 40/110 in the Red Sox lineup
    Felix would give you an ace to base your rotation off.

Upton is great, but it was his 1st season of putting up numbers last year. Granderson has to be platooned since he can't hit a lefty to save his life.

I need more info to help you here. What type of league is it? what stats count? how many teams in the league? what are the roster positions?

Upton, Martin, Ortiz

Upton has 2b eligibility still I believe, so that's huge. Martin is arguably the best fantasy catcher, than Ortiz gets you your power and rbi numbers a kick start. I'd also consider Granderson.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Yahoo points league 7X7
    Hit:avg,hr,runs,rbi,sb,2b,ops
    Pitch:w,L,sv,era,k's,whips,holds

Joba - The reason is because he is a great pitcher. People don't realize he has 4 plus pitches and some plus plus pitches. He and Bucholz are the best pitching prospects in baseball. Joba is just a great and dominant pitcher. He's suppose to start this year in the pen then move to the starting rotation. That means he would get plenty of Holds. In a Holds league, many ignore it, but the category matters just as much as saves. In this case, Joba will Prove extremely low ERA and WHIP, with plenty of SO and several Wins with probably few losses as a RP. Then he gets moved to the rotation and helps in the SP categories. In 2009 he could easily be a top 5 starter in MLB. He is that good, and you will want that in the future.

Ortiz is also a keeper. Easy choice.

Martin is the next choice. A big reason why Upton was not picked is because he will not be a 2B in the future. His value is at 2B, but at OF he just isn't as valuable. Martin will be a C for awhile and is very good. Martin had basically the same statline as Upton last year.

I disagree a ton with the Joba choice. That's like taking him in the 3rd round of a draft. He won't have enough innings to have all that big of an effect on WHIP, ERA and SO. Keepers should usually be more proven too. Joba hasn't even played a full year yet and you want him as a keeper? In a TON of leagues the only pitchers you see kept are Johan, and Peavy.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I Can't believe people are serious about using Joba as a keeper. Someone in my MLB Roto league was talking about it to in email this week.

The guy is going to spend at least one month, if not one and a half in the minors this year, per the Yankees.

If it's a 10 team league and you have 3 keepers - Joba doesn't even enter the realm of best 30 fantasy players. Not Best 50 or Best 100 either.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

As for who I would keep - in your 7x7 Points Dunn & Ortiz will both help in 5 categories, Ortiz in all but SB - and their power will boost OPS big time.

I would keep Verlander or King Felix - it's a tossup honestly, so I'd go with whomever you like better. But FYI - Verlander has a much better shot at wins this year.

Who else thinks I should keep Dunn over someone like Russel Martin or a BJ Upton?

Martin, Granderson, and Ortiz.

None of the Pitchers would I consider being top 30 in all of baseball.

I wouldn't even consider Dunn at all, especially over those two.

- Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?