Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just participated in my first draft of the year...

just participated in my first draft of the year...

Yahoo league. Hitting stats are R, HR, RBI, SB and BA (hey i just got assigned to the league, I didn't pick the stats.) Pitching stats are W, SV, K, ERA and WHIP.

here is my team, 12 team league, I picked 10th:

C Geovany Soto
    1B Carlos Peña
    2B Rickie Weeks
    3B Edwin Encarnación
    SS Jason Bartlett
    OF Adam Dunn
    OF Josh Hamilton
    OF Austin Kearns
    Util Matt Kemp
    BN Evan Longoria
    BN Conor Jackson
    BN Felipe López
    BN Wily Mo Peña
    SP Johan Santana
    SP Dan Haren
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Joakim Soria
    P Scott Kazmir
    P Justin Verlander
    P Bronson Arroyo
    P Edison Vólquez
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: just participated in my first draft of the year...

Who was your second round pick? The offense is pretty weak...

Haren. I went in strong on pitching because I knew everyone was going after offense. I don't think the offense is all that weak, but I do hate the categories.

Those are the standard 5x5 categories that 95% of fantasy leagues use.

Your team is very strong on starting pitching. You only have two relievers. I would cut Lopez and pick up a reliever, preferably one with a shot at saves. Relievers can be good at strikeouts (per inning), ERA and WHIP.

Your team has a lot of very young players, some of them might not even start the season in the big leagues (Volquez, Longoria). If they start in the minors you can cut them for relievers. Your success will hinge on some young prospects breaking out into stud status.

I notice a lot of Reds or former Reds too.

What round did you snag Kemp in? I am high on Kemp (not high on hemp ), I think he could be a fantasy goldmine.

You will probably need a better outfielder than Kearns, but you can't be stacked at every position.

I would try to trade Santana for someone like A-Rod, Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes, Matt Holliday or some other 1st round stud hitter. Deal from your strength (starting pitching) to help out your weaknesses.

Overall I would say your team looks pretty good.

Got Kemp in Rd 12. total steal. I took Kearns based on his second half (851 OPS) and moving to a new park. WMP is benched except against LH pitching.

Soto is the starting catcher in Chicago. Kid can rake. 3B is Longoria's to lose. a bit of a risk there, but EE is my starter. FeLo was a late rd pick. I'm already looking for relievers to replace him.

I am looking for a few breakout seasons. Jackson, Hamilton (500 AB's) Bartlett (he's gonna shock some people) and Weeks.

just dropped FeLo for Jon Rauch. if/when Washington starts to fade, JimBo will have himself a bidding war for Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    just dropped FeLo for Jon Rauch. if/when Washington starts to fade, JimBo will have himself a bidding war for Cordero.
    We thought JimBo would have a bidding war with Soriano too. He's got a real chance to cash in and rebuild that system though. I hope he doesn't try to hold onto Cordero, only to realize he won't be able to keep him.

I like the move though. Lopez is falling fast. Rauch is a solid pitcher, in a very pitcher friendly ballpark.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Rauch is a solid pitcher, in a very pitcher friendly ballpark.
    We don't know how their new park will play...

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    What round did you snag Kemp in? I am high on Kemp (not high on hemp ), I think he could be a fantasy goldmine.
    Sounds like I beat you to him in the NL Only Dynasty League

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Haren. I went in strong on pitching because I knew everyone was going after offense. I don't think the offense is all that weak, but I do hate the categories.
    Haren is simply not a second round pick...

I probably could have gotten him lower, but I really think he's going to dominate the NL this year.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Sounds like I beat you to him in the NL Only Dynasty League
    Yes you did. LOL

I seriously considered taking him with the first pick of the 6th round. In fact I was all set to do it. Then I saw that Smoltz was still available and jumped all over him. I figured there was a good chance that Kemp would still be there when I got my 7th pick. No dice.

Now I hope he sucks. :

Peavy wasn't there in the second round?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

A few too many Reds (or former). I try to use a guideline for no Reds on my fantasy teams, and it works. Kearns could probably be picked up from waivers if you notice that he is playing well. Wily Mo is a long shot. Pena is your only big time hitter, and he had a huge career year last season.

I do love your pitching though. I'd also recommend trading one of your pitchers for some hitting. Try to get Hanley Ramirez and a decent closer for Santana and one of your hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We don't know how their new park will play...
    The new one is a bit smaller than the current one, but by the dimensions it looks like a pitcher's park. You're right though, we don't yet know how it will play.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?