Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest batch of updates from Fay including Dunn contract info

Latest batch of updates from Fay including Dunn contract info

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Dunn: Nothing going on on extension

Adam Dunn is in camp. Could it be his last as a Red?

Dunn says nothing is going on as far as talks about a contract extension. The Reds picked up his option on Oct. 31. But, as it is, he'll become a free agent after the season. Any hope something gets done?

"I don't know anymore," he said. "We'll see what happens. I'm really not worried about it."

Dunn said he feels great. He had arthroscopic surgery Sept. 26. He had been playing with bulky knee for over a year.

"It's good," he said. "I haven't done a lot of agility stuff. But it's better than it's been in a long time. It should make it easier to play."

Dunn, by the way, is a NASCAR convert after going to the Daytona 500.

"It was awesome," he said. "I wasn't a fan of NASCAR. Being their live and seeing how fast those guys go . . . it's amazing. I don't know how to describe it. TV will never be able to capture the speed, the noise.

"I love it."
    All the young arms II

I talked to experts about the young arms today. Both Dick Pole and Dusty Baker were impressed by Monday's first session by the guys they hadn't seen.

"I try not to get too excited about one bullpen session," Pole said. "But we've got some good arms. I was really impressed with the arm strength of (Johnny) Cueto, (Edinson) Volquez and (Josh) Roenicke. You can't teach a good fastball."

Said Baker: "They're looking good. Some guys ahead of other guys, especially the ones who play played Winter Ball. They have a big advantage because they're ready. They looked real good. But we've got good arms in this camp. Good young arms. Good veterans arms.

"Hopefully, we'll have a big pot to chose from."

Baker mentioned Scott Sauerbeck, the left-hander from Northwest High and Miami University, as one of the impressive veteran arms. That's the second time Baker's singled out Sauerbeck. Sauerbeck pitched last year in the minors for Houston and Toronto. He's 20-17 with 3.82 ERA in 487 big league games.
    Enjoy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Latest batch of updates from Fay including Dunn contract info

Thanks. I suspect the Dunn talks will start relatively soon now that BP is signed long term. Doesn't mean a deal will get done, but the talking should start soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XU Lou View Post
    Thanks. I suspect the Dunn talks will start relatively soon now that BP is signed long term. Doesn't mean a deal will get done, but the talking should start soon.
    I would still rather see them try to trade Dunn that way Bruce can play a corner spot which is more natural position, and we could find a speedy center fielder who can hit lead off.

Just my wishful thinking though
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I would still rather see them try to trade Dunn that way Bruce can play a corner spot which is more natural position, and we could find a speedy center fielder who can hit lead off.

Bruce has a corner spot being kept warm for him - RF.

We need more OFFENSE besides Bruce in the OF.

And, contrary to unpopular belief, we CAN spend the $$ on Dunn, and still be at or less than we were last year - and keep money for Free Agent pitchers and "speedy center fielders who can hit lead off".

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

For as long as I can remember the reds have always had enough offense. Not a comment about Dunn but I tend to not worry about our offensive production that much.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Eric Karabell had this to say about Roenicke in his Reds Fantasy Preview last week:

"Josh Roenicke, son of former major leaguer Gary and nephew of Ron, gets his fastball into the mid-90s, but hasn't reached Triple-A yet. In a year, he could be in Cincy's bullpen."

I'm eager to see how he fares this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    And, contrary to unpopular belief, we CAN spend the $$ on Dunn, and still be at or less than we were last year - and keep money for Free Agent pitchers and "speedy center fielders who can hit lead off".

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Color me dubious. As someone who posted the Reds payroll plans on here a few months ago covering 2008-2011, I don't know that that statement is quite accurate.

I'll go back into my graphs, now knowing what we know about contracts, especially the Cordero signing and BPhil extension.

Not sure, but I think we'll be surprised. I'll wait to say with certainty that the Reds can afford Dunn AND other needed parts once I see the actual numbers laid out.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

We really have no one close in the minor league system who could immediately replace Dunn's production, so a LTC is important for the Reds to pursue. I am surprised there has been no talk about a LTC, but there is plenty of time to get one done

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    We really have no one close in the minor league system who could immediately replace Dunn's production, so a LTC is important for the Reds to pursue. I am surprised there has been no talk about a LTC, but there is plenty of time to get one done
    Yea I was thinking of trading for prospects and letting norris hopper/freel/dickerson(if that is his name i forget) take over there, but I have been so frustrated with Dunn and his supposed "coming of age" the past two season we were supposed to see that him leaving would not hurt me.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Don't worry; it's just a matter of time before The Magnificent Juan Pierre is a Red. Bank on it.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Yea I was thinking of trading for prospects and letting norris hopper/freel/dickerson(if that is his name i forget) take over there, but I have been so frustrated with Dunn and his supposed "coming of age" the past two season we were supposed to see that him leaving would not hurt me.
    I have no idea what you're expecting from Dunn, but being the best hitter/run producer on the team pretty much does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by danken12 View Post
    I have no idea what you're expecting from Dunn, but being the best hitter/run producer on the team pretty much does it for me.
    Best hitter...NO
    Farthest hitter...YES.

Unfortunatly, the second one has no bearing on the game of baseball.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by danken12 View Post
    Not even close to being the best hitter due to his many strike outs.
    Yes he does produce a lot runs with his HRs and Walks, but he does not make enough contact for my liking. Also there is the argument that take his bat away and you lose more runs then you make up, but I say take away his defense and put someone else better and you make many runs because his "prowess" in left field has cost the team runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Don't worry; it's just a matter of time before The Magnificent Juan Pierre is a Red. Bank on it.
    if that happened I will have a drink for you.

We have had 1000 Dunn threads but maybe it is time for another. He is the best offensive player on this team. No one has put up numbers even close to Adam Dunn in the time that Dunn has been in Cincinnati.

Will someone please tell me what Reds player is a better hitter than Dunn? What Reds in history have been as productive in 4 consecutive seasons as Dunn? Name a Red besides Dunn to drive in 100 runs since 2001... Name a Red besides Dunn to walk 100 times since 2001... name a Red besides Dunn to hit 35+ HRs besides Dunn since 2001... name a Red to score 100+ runs since 2001.

I'm sure once again people will find a reason to bash AD, but the guy produces better than anyone on the team.

Turn Off Ads?