Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Howard wins $10M arb case

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Ryan Howard wins $10M arb case

Pretty crazy. Nothing like an 1100% raise. Work I've seen suggests that players typically get 40% of FA value in their first arb year, 60% in the 2nd, and 80% in the 3rd. That would value Howard at $25M in FA. Though I can't help but wonder if he's getting favorable treatment for getting screwed out of a year or two by Jim Thome's presence on the Phillies.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnered=rss_phi

For a 28 year old with negative defensive value, good for Howard to get his money now. He's going to be a DH by the end of the decade, in my opinion.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-21-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Ryan Howard wins $10M arb case

Pandora's box, slippery slope, etc...

Where does it go from here?

Not a bad deal for a guy who regressed seriously last season and set the all time strike out record.

$10 mil for Howard eh?

Phillies Phans won't be happy. Howard will go from beloved to regularly booed in less than two years.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

The people who should be most happy are all the players who now get to use that as a first year comp. Visa versa for the fans of the teams of those players.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All the more reason to lock up Phillips when we did. That was a good move by Wayne.

Even first year arb cases are getting crazy. It used to be that the first year was only a modest raise.

Ironically though, I guess when the Reds lock up guys like Phillips (and the Indians with their young players) it makes the comps for 1st year arb eligilbe players go through the roof and add to the problem later on.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ironically though, I guess when the Reds lock up guys like Phillips (and the Indians with their young players) it makes the comps for 1st year arb eligilbe players go through the roof and add to the problem later on.
    I'm pretty sure you can only use the results of other arb cases, not guys under LTC. That said, I imagine most guys signing long term deals make less in their first year of the contract than they would have made in arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can only use the results of other arb cases, not guys under LTC. That said, I imagine most guys signing long term deals make less in their first year of the contract than they would have made in arbitration.
    You might be right, but I'm not so sure. For example, I know that in the last year of arb, they can compare themselves to any player regardless of service time. Naturally, the bulk of those big money comps did not get their awards in arb, they got them through free agency.

You do bring up a good point about most LTC being backloaded though.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    $10 mil for Howard eh?

Phillies Phans won't be happy. Howard will go from beloved to regularly booed in less than two years.
    He strikes out too much and doesn't hit in the clutch
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    $10 mil for Howard eh?

Looks like Pat Burrell might be off the hook a lil bit now.

Let's see if Phillies Phans run Howard out of town like they did Abreu.

It's good for him, but kind of scary for small market teams.

This is definitely hypothetical, but what happens if this is Jay Bruce in 3 years??

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's good for him, but kind of scary for small market teams.

This is definitely hypothetical, but what happens if this is Jay Bruce in 3 years??
    We better get him signed after year 2.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    He'll be booed for making too much money.

Reds fans love prospects when they're cheap, but they have several problems with established, great players when those players cost some coin.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Corrected this one for you Cyclone.

Reds fans love prospects when they're cheap, but they have several problems with established, mediocre players when those players cost some coin. And they hate Adam Dunn whenever he doesn't hit a homer.

I have a feeling that Howard will have a tough year next season. He regressed from the NL MVP to an Adam Dunn type player (not that being an Adam Dunn type player is a bad thing). I think the Philly fans will expect him to return to MVP form especially for what he is being paid.

Turn Off Ads?