Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not A Good Day.....

Hybrid View

Not A Good Day.....

Bought a 2008 Honda Civic about 2 weeks ago (that's good).

Put it in a ditch this morning driving home from work (that's not so good). It's the same 3-4 mile stretch of country road I drive to and fro work everyday. It pees a lot of people off because whenever there is bad weather the county (Shelby) never, never touches this stretch of road. They don't plow it, treat it, etc. And while it's not a main road, like a state route, many Honda associates travel this road everyday to get to the plant because we have to.

You will never see a county plow or salt truck on this road; but you can't spit and not hit a Sheriff, who patrol it like crazy trying to nail Honda employees with speeding tickets. We have learned all their hiding spots though.

So I'm driving (creeping) about 25 mph down the road and I see the car about 100 yards ahead of me fishtail and then go off the leftside of the road and hit a telephone pole. So being the good Samaritan that I am I plan on stopping and offer assistance since it's out in the country and I always carry my cellphone.

When I get to the spot where he fishtailed, I soon realize WHY? It was pure whiteout to begin with. So you don't see the patch of snow that had drifted over that side of the road only. Even going as slow as I was, when I hit it, all was lost. It sucked me in like a black hole, grabbed the front end, and all I could do was hold onto the steering wheel, yell ****, and ride it out. I slid past him and down into the ditch and tore up my front bumper/fender. Got a sheriff's report, got it towed out, drove it into town, notified my agent, got an estimate ($1100.00). Nothing really major was damaged, so I am thankful for that.

Got home and there was one of those traffic light camera notices from a place called Safelight. It occurred in Springfield, Ohio over the Christmas Holidays. I'm originally from there, and we had gone down to visit my brother's family. It seems my wife tried to make a redlight while shopping with the sister-in-law. The video shows she didn't make it. It was close, but not conclusive enough to have a fighting chance of beating it. The check is in the mail.

So that shopping trip is costing me another $100.

My brother lives says the citizens are simply outraged over the eight of them they have installed. They have turned into nice revenue makers for the city.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-22-2008 at 12:44 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Not A Good Day.....

Today's my birthday, and the only gifts I've gotten are socks and insulin. They're both practical, but I'm not exactly thrilled by being reminded that I'm a type 1 diabetic with no health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Today's my birthday, and the only gifts I've gotten are socks and insulin. They're both practical, but I'm not exactly thrilled by being reminded that I'm a type 1 diabetic with no health insurance.

Happy birthday, bud! Hopefully your day goes better than GAC's does.

Good to know you're OK, GAC.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Happy birthday, bud! Hopefully your day goes better than GAC's does.
    Thank you much. My day's already picking up. I just received Amadeus on DVD and tax returns. I'm so glad I'm not GAC right now.

Thank you much. My day's already picking up. I just received Amadeus on DVD and tax returns. I'm so glad I'm not GAC right now.

Believe me, you should be glad you're not GAC all the time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Thank you much. My day's already picking up. I just received Amadeus on DVD and tax returns.
    I just bought Amadeus, a collectors edition, last week. I also got my tax return too. I know where a portion of it is going to.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They have turned into nice revenue makers for the city.
    ... which is their main purpose.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... which is their main purpose.
    Not if you talk to city officials, which I did today..... it's all about the safety of their citizenry.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

They have turned into nice revenue makers for the city.
    I think they have GPS units that you can plot locations of interest on. If I lived in area that had Red Light Camers I'd probably go ahead and get one.

Bummer day.

A few weeks ago I got hit on I-75 by a drunk driver and had my car totaled. Luckily I am fine, but I just replaced a car that has been paid off for 5 years with a $460/month car payment. Sigh.

GL

My brother lives says the citizens are simply outraged over the eight of them they have installed. They have turned into nice revenue makers for the city.
    Not to get into a discussion about concealed carry, but once the sheriff's departments realized they got a portion of the $55 fee for the liscence they quickly changed their tune on CCW. It's been a huge revenue stream for many departments.

But don't you worry, those red light cameras are only there for your safety.

Sorry to hear about your crappy day GAC.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-22-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

GAC what road? That pretty much tells the tale of all the roads to the East of State Rts 65 and 47? My road is plowed and treated pretty well by Logan county to the East, but Shelby county is half a mile to the west and they almost never treat the road at their end. I thought it would improve when a new township trustee was elected. But it has not.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    GAC what road? That pretty much tells the tale of all the roads to the East of State Rts 65 and 47? My road is plowed and treated pretty well by Logan county to the East, but Shelby county is half a mile to the west and they almost never treat the road at their end. I thought it would improve when a new township trustee was elected. But it has not.

Meranda Road. Which runs in front of the plant, and crosses 25A. I was heading east on it till I hit Wones Road. Turn right, go about a mile, turn left on 58 (also Maplewood Rd). It crosses 65, and then runs through Maplewood.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-22-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Meranda Road. Which runs in front of the plant, and crosses 25A. I was heading east on it till I hit Wones Road. Turn right, go about a mile, turn left on 58 (also Maplewood Rd). It crosses 65, and then runs through Maplewood.
    Man you are just south of me. I live up on 60. All those roads are treacherous this time of year. I get alot of Honda traffic as well, from people taking the Jackson Center bypass. The Honda folks don't like to see me on a tractor at about 3:30pm.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 02-22-2008 at 11:12 PM.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Man you are just south of me. I live up on 60. All those roads are treacherous this time of year. I get alot of Honda traffic as well, from people taking the Jackson Center bypass. The Honda folks don't like to see me on a tractor at about 3:30pm.
    I use to take 119E out of Anna, then 65 into Jackson Center, then 274 over to 33 into Bellefontaine. The roads are better maintained, or at least the trucks get to them faster; but it adds about 25 minutes to my driving time.

It's just that one stretch of Meranda that really bugs a lot of people. I don't know which township is in charge of maintaining it, if any; but once you get past there you see plows and salt trucks all over the place. I've watched county trucks come up a short way on Meranda, till that get to that stretch, and then turn off as if it's out of their territory or route. What? That section doesn't need treated/plowed?

I've been driving that way, to and from work, for almost 14 years. And in that time, during inclement weather, I can't tell you the vast number of cars that have ended up in the ditch.

Yesterday was my first time in all those years, so I count myself lucky I guess. If I hadn't been driving really slow to begin with (around 25 MPH), it could have been worse I guess.

And lets not get on the subject of deer. They must have a union hall somewhere nearby.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-23-2008 at 06:01 AM.

I use to take 119E out of Anna, then 65 into Jackson Center, then 274 over to 33 into Bellefontaine. The roads are better maintained, or at least the trucks get to them faster; but it adds about 25 minutes to my driving time.

It's just that one stretch of Meranda that really bugs a lot of people. I don't know which township is in charge of maintaining it, if any; but once you get past there you see plows and salt trucks all over the place. I've watched county trucks come up a short way on Meranda, till that get to that stretch, and then turn off as if it's out of their territory or route. What? That section doesn't need treated/plowed?

I've been driving that way, to and from work, for almost 14 years. And in that time, during inclement weather, I can't tell you the vast number of cars that have ended up in the ditch.

Yesterday was my first time in all those years, so I count myself lucky I guess. If I hadn't been driving really slow to begin with (around 25 MPH), it could have been worse I guess.

And lets not get on the subject of deer. They must have a union hall somewhere nearby.
    What you describe is par for the course around here. Meranda Rd is the border road between Salem and Jackson Townships. My guess is that neither really claim it. When you get closer to Anna does it get better or worse? I never have a need to drive west on it past STR 65.

The deer really are bad near us, in my immediate family 4 different people have hit one in the last five years.

Turn Off Ads?