Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay on Roenicke, Volquez, and Cueto (And Other Notes)

Fay on Roenicke, Volquez, and Cueto (And Other Notes)

"We've got some good arms."

You hear that a lot around the Ed Smith Stadium complex. I watched Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Josh Roenicke throw live batting practice and didn't see one solidly hit ball.

Roenicke has the best arm in camp. Volquez is a notch behind. One scout told that Cueto has a chance to be best of them all. "He's got a great arm and he throws strikes."

It's going to be interesting when they try to put this club together at the end. As noted in the previous post, everyone in the mix for pitching staff has options.

Other observations:

--Another guy who looks good is left-hander Scott Sauerbeck. "His ball is really moving," Brandon Phillips said.

--Todd Coffey had a particularly rough live BP session. Norris Hopper took him out to opposite field. Adam Dunn hit balls out on back-to-back swing. And Ken Griffey Jr. hit one over the batter's eye in center. Ouch.

--Griffey is swinging the bat well. He took Aaron Harang deep as well.

--This isn't an observation because I didn't see him, but people tell me Kent Mercker threw the ball well.
    And some stuff from Dusty:
    Dusty: There are things I've got to address

Dusty Baker spent a good part of the yesterday's workout on the mini-tower in the middle of the four backfields. He spent a lot of time taking notes. He liked what he saw for the most part.

“There are a few things I’ve got to address," Baker said. "We’re doing good but we can put a little more game effort into these fundamentals and drills."

Baker tries to address things individually if possible.

"It's depends if it's team thing or not," he said. "If it's one or two, why punish the team?"

The tower vantage point lets Baker to keep an eye on four fields at once.

"It allows me to watch a lot of things at the same time," he said. "Right now, I'm learning the personnel. . . I've got a lot to see, a lot to see."

Two things we've learned about Baker in his short time here: He's a stickler for being on schedule, and he's pays close attention to little fundamental things.

Other early tidbits:

--Outfielder/first baseman Craig Wilson was released. Wilson didn't take the field after his physical. He spent most of last year on the DL with shoulder problems.

“That’s a big turning point in you life and your career," Baker said. "I’m hoping it works out. I could see it in his eyes."

--A lot of you asked about options. The following players on the 40-man roster do not have options: RHP Bronson Arroyo, IF Juan Castro, RHP Francisco Cordero, IF/OF Ryan Freel, 1B Scott Hatteberg, IF/OF Jeff Keppinger, 2B Brandon Phillips, C David Ross, C Javier Valentin and RHP David Weathers.

So that means everyone in the bubble for pitching jobs has options.

"That's one great thing Wayne (Krivsky's) done," Baker said. "That's big. Those are big decisions. If one guys is pitching better than a guy who is out of options, you could end up potentially losing both of them if you don't do it right."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay on Roenicke, Volquez, and Cueto (And Other Notes)

I get the sense that Dusty would be awesome in a bench coach role; another Don Zimmer. Just let somebody else make out the lineup and manage in-game decisions...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Coffey had a rough "batting practice" session?

I didn't know pitchers were trying to miss bats during batting practice. That must be something new.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Coffey had a rough "batting practice" session?

I didn't know pitchers were trying to miss bats during batting practice. That must be something new.
    Live batting practice is different then just normal BP. Pitches are trying to miss bats to a certain extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Another guy who looks good is left-hander Scott Sauerbeck. "His ball is really moving," Brandon Phillips said.
    That's always been Sauerbeck's problem though. If you decide to just stand there and watch his ball move, you'll get to walk to first after 4 pitches.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That's always been Sauerbeck's problem though. If you decide to just stand there and watch his ball move, you'll get to walk to first after 4 pitches.
    And unfortunately, Brandon Phillips' problem is he won't stand in the batter's box and watch four pitches move out of the strike zone.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

So Coffey got dusted up in a batting practice session. Yikes.

I know it's only one session, early on in ST. But yikes.

Norris Hopper took him oppisate field? Yikes.

All I can say.....is...well....yikes.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Early (very early) indications are that Todd Coffey's weight had nothing to do with his poor pitching, perhaps....

Am I understanding right? So, Fogg & Affeldt can be sent to AAA? huh? Can someone better explain this to me?

I bet MLB'ers liked it better back before there were blogs.

Coffey getting lit up in what used to be an unremarkable and uncommented-on ST session now travels like lightning via the miracle of modern day technogeekery and RZ buzzes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Norris Hopper took him oppisate field? Yikes.

All I can say.....is...well....yikes.
    I hear the ball just SOUNDS hard-hit coming off Hopper's bat...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Early (very early) indications are that Todd Coffey's weight had nothing to do with his poor pitching, perhaps....

I'd suggest that the correlation of a pitcher's results from pitching batting practice and anything meaningful reagrding baseball is very, very small.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Am I understanding right? So, Fogg & Affeldt can be sent to AAA? huh? Can someone better explain this to me?
    They still have options. They likely can't be sent to the minors without their permission because of service time issues. Same fro Griffey.

Another guy who looks good is left-hander Scott Sauerbeck. "His ball is really moving," Brandon Phillips said.
    This is how the Sauerbecks of the worlds get jobs.

Paging Mr. Santos. Mr. Victor Santos.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'd suggest that the correlation of a pitcher's results from pitching batting practice and anything meaningful reagrding baseball is very, very small.
    I don't think I was totally serious

Turn Off Ads?