Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

Re: Sampson OUT at IU

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Who was Greenspan's first pick?
    I have heard it was Kevin Stallings.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Not a fan of the Bill Lynch hire? I thought he did a great job this year all things considered after what happened with Hep.
    I agree and Lynch is a nice guy but the momentum that was built last year will soon grind to a halt and IU will soon return to the basement of the Big Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I agree and Lynch is a nice guy but the momentum that was built last year will soon grind to a halt and IU will soon return to the basement of the Big Ten.

You don't know this for sure. How stupid would Indiana have looked if they fired Lynch after he took IU to their first bowl game in 14 years?

Indiana only had one move here and they made the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    You don't know this for sure. How stupid would Indiana have looked if they fired Lynch after he took IU to their first bowl game in 14 years?

Indiana only had one move here and they made the right one.
    True, but we will see in a few years. I hope I am wrong and Lynch is a good choice, he by all accounts is a nice guy and he is my friends uncle my marriage so I wish him all the best.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

According to multiple sources close to the program, Greenspan wasn't the key figure in the hiring of Sampson in March 2006. He said on Friday night that he "takes responsibility for what happens in the athletic department," but former school president Adam Hebert was the one who basically made that call — along with a pair of trustees.

Greenspan's wish list two years ago included Gonzaga's Mark Few, Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings and former West Virginia and current Michigan coach John Beilein. Few wasn't interested and Beilein's buyout at West Virginia was too hefty.
    http://http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7831220

Hold on, you're telling me that Michigan could afford Beilein's buy-out while Indiana couldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Hold on, you're telling me that Michigan could afford Beilein's buy-out while Indiana couldn't?
    Indiana could afford it. The president knew he could get a better coach, and he did. His flaw was ignoring the cheating aspect to win games. That's not Indiana basketball.

Of course they could, I was pointing out the stupidity of that argument in the article.

Of course they could, I was pointing out the stupidity of that argument in the article.
    I think it was a polite way of saying he didn't think that much of Beilein. Which explains why he was his third choice. That's still probably way too high.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Michigan hired Beilein one year after Indiana hired Sampson. So the buy-out was not as substantial. NC State couldn't afford the buyout in 2006, either. That's why Sidney Lowe was hired.

True, but we will see in a few years. I hope I am wrong and Lynch is a good choice, he by all accounts is a nice guy and he is my friends uncle my marriage so I wish him all the best.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the football situation at IU is such an uphill climb, even if Bill Lynch was the "right" choice, IU may not end up winning.

You'll find few people who didn't think Terry Hoeppner was the correct hire, but for all the excitement he brought to the program, he was 9-14 in two years.

My main complaint has been the incompetence shown in handling the Sampson situation.
    I didn't have a problem with the hire, but they should have had a better way of checking up on Sampson, Senderhoff and Meyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I agree. Worst. Hire. Ever

Never, ever, ever make an emotional hire.

See University of Miami (Fl.) (Coker) and soon to be WVU in football.

Lynch was awful at BSU. Brady Hoke has finally cleaned up his mess for now.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I agree. Worst. Hire. Ever

Never, ever, ever make an emotional hire.

See University of Miami (Fl.) (Coker) and soon to be WVU in football.

Lynch was awful at BSU. Brady Hoke has finally cleaned up his mess for now.
    Lynch had a far worse situation than Hoke has now. Lynch was coaching at BSU with one arm tied behind his back. Some of the restrictions Lynch had at BSU were absurd. He had restrictions on how many out-of-state players he could recruit; extreme restrictions on salary dollars and recruiting dollars, and was generally given three or four losses a year to the Floridas, Clemsons and Auburns for big paydays, not to mention he was coaching at arguably the worst stadium in the country.

Judging Lynch while he was at Ball State really isn't fair, given the circumstances. And again, you don't fire the guy that took you to your first bowl game in 14 years.

I have heard it was Kevin Stallings.
    I saw that the IU players are already campaigning to hire Stallings by writing "KS" on their sneakers Saturday.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I saw that the IU players are already campaigning to hire Stallings by writing "KS" on their sneakers Saturday.
    I just hope the guys wait to see who the next coach will be before making to decision on whether to transfer. I think one or two players are leaving regardless though. Just my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?