Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

Re: Sampson OUT at IU

So we get him in the SEC now? Awesome.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can easily see him coaching in a major conference next year.

As a Knicks fan, I hope that IU hires Isiah Thomas.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'll be completely shocked if the NCAA bans him in any way. Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps have already predicted Kelvin will be coaching in D1A next season.
    I agree they won't ban him, but any AD that even interviews him should be fired on the spot.

It might take a few years, but he'll be back..see other two time cheats like Rick Neuheisel
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.
    As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

How can the AD survive this catastrophe?

There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.
    I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
    The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
    The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?
    Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.
    I think everyone is overheating when responding to the kids "threats."
    They're obviously upset, and it's easy if you look at it from their standpoint to see why. If my boss(with cause or not) was fired, and I came to a company specifically to work for that boss, I'd have some reservations about continuing to work.

That said, I imagine they'll play.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

For a Level Playing Field

I don't agree with the players boycotting, but I feel for these young men. They are in a tough spot... put there by a man named Kelvin Sampson. I don't blame the AD. Sure this makes his choice look bad, but rest assured Kelvin was grilled before being hired and told that he will be canned if guilty again.

The NCAA needs to crack down on repeat offenders and make rules that call for suspensions:
    > 1st violation: permanent probation (as long as you coach in the NCAA).
    > 2nd violation: 2 year ban.
    > 3rd violation: lifetime ban.

They suspend athletes for bad conduct, drug use, talking to agents, etc. Coaches should be held to a higher standard than the athletes. They are the leaders of their teams and examples to the young men/women that play for their university.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.
    He believed Sampson had learned from his "mistakes."

Lots of coaches are given second chances. Some prove to be worthwhile, some don't.

I believed then, and still believe now, the phone issue by itself is not that big of a deal. If Sampson would have toed the line, this program would be back to a top 10 program 2 years into the hire. That's pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, Sampson couldn't keep himself from dialing, and when his hand was caught in the cookie jar, he couldn't keep himself from lying to try and cover it up.

Blaming Rick Greenspan for Sampson cheating is like blaming Brian Sabean for Barry Bonds using steroids.

When you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised if you get up with fleas.

Turn Off Ads?