Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

Re: Sampson OUT at IU

Greenspan claims that the players were at the walkthrough tonight...as far as he knows. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

Sampson getting a second chance shouldn't be a shock to people. Coaches, especially if they prove they can win, get second chances all the time. My guess is he will get a third chance. Probably as soon as next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    When you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised if you get up with fleas.
    WMR, I'm curious, maybe it's just because I underestimated the impact of making too many phone calls on one's character, but you talk about Sampson as if he's the lowest of the low.

Is there something else he did that he deserves such low standing.
    It's not that I don't think he should be fired, but this isn't exactly Dave Bliss trying to cover up a murder investigation.

Why do you think he's such a lowlife?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.

Dale is nothing without Chitwood.

As for Sampson, I think it would be difficult for the NCAA to ban him from coaching. He could sue them and claim restraint of trade or something like that. It's a shame he's still getting $750K but it's better than paying him his whole contract or possibly losing a lawsuit. However, if I ran the NCAA, I would let a school know that if they chose to hire Sampson, that I would be paying very, very close attention to their sports program. Not only basketball but football, track, baseball, everything. I would make sure they are aware that they better be 100% clean or else. That may give a school second thoughts about hiring him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Hoosier Red, I'm pretty sure the answer you're going to get from most is that the lying seals the deal on his character. It's not just the phone calls. Just a guess.

Personally, I don't consider his "crimes" on the same level as actually paying recruits or buying them cars but some do and that's their call. Cheating is cheating in their eyes, regardless. I just have a hard time hating the man for making improper phone calls. I think letting him go is the right move but I don't see him as evil for this. Again, just my opinion.

Greenspan rolled the dice and gave him a second chance. He got burned. I just want to move on.
    Last edited by BRM; 02-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Hoosier Red, I'm pretty sure the answer you're going to get from most is that the lying seals the deal on his character. It's not just the phone calls. Just a guess.

Personally, I don't consider his "crimes" on the same level as actually paying recruits or buying them cars but some do and that's their call. Cheating is cheating in their eyes, regardless. I just have a hard time hating the man for making improper phone calls. I think letting him go is the right move but I don't see him as evil for this. Again, just my opinion.

Greenspan rolled the dice and gave him a second chance. He got burned. I just want to move on.
    Yes. And the megalomania that goes along with flouting the same rules that you were just busted for breaking and THEN lying about it?! It's JMO, but I consider the man a snake in the grass after taking into consideration the totality of his actions.

The "ScumBAG" is packing his BAGS!!!

A couple things, Sampson may never coach at the D1 level anytime soon but dont be suprised if a NBA team hires him.

Also an anonymous donor is paying $500,000 of the $750,000 buyout Sampson is receiving.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Yes. And the megalomania that goes along with flouting the same rules that you were just busted for breaking and THEN lying about it?! It's JMO, but I consider the man a snake in the grass after taking into consideration the totality of his actions.
    No, I understand that now, but I'm curious how Greenspan was to know he was lying about being past these "mistakes."

As I said, some guys get a second chance and make it worthwhile.

Obviously the hire didn't work out, but I'm curious to know why the AD should be faulted for believing the hire could have worked out.

We talk alot about the process involved in decisions, not just the outcomes.
    Obviously sometimes you follow the correct process and get a negative result.(I think that's what happened here.)

Or are you suggesting any coach who has had an NCAA infraction shouldn't get another job?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think everyone is overheating when responding to the kids "threats."
    They're obviously upset, and it's easy if you look at it from their standpoint to see why. If my boss(with cause or not) was fired, and I came to a company specifically to work for that boss, I'd have some reservations about continuing to work.

That said, I imagine they'll play.
    I understand, but ultimately, when these kids signed the LOI's, they committed to play for Indiana, not Kelvin Sampson. Tell them that if they want to transfer after this year, they are free to leave, but until then, suit up under a new coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The entire team was reportedly at the walkthrough last night, according to the ESPN ticker. Maybe Kelvin talked them into continuing on and not quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I understand, but ultimately, when these kids signed the LOI's, they committed to play for Indiana, not Kelvin Sampson. Tell them that if they want to transfer after this year, they are free to leave, but until then, suit up under a new coach.
    If I were the AD and the kids skipped the game I would remove their scholarship immediatly. There is something to be said about people standing up for a cause when something unjust happens. I find it somewhat ironic that DJ White is willing to stand up for Sampson when Sampson, by not following the rules, may have put DJ White in jepordy of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars. If White tears it up in the tournament he could increase his draft stock drastically, Sampson actions have put White at a serious disadvantage due to a coaching change as well as possible tournament ban.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It might take a few years, but he'll be back..see other two time cheats like Rick Neuheisel
    I'm utterly amazed at the overreaction of this situation. Are you seriously comparing Neuheisel to Sampson? Really? Do you realize how ignorant that is? Look at what Neuheisal did compared to Sampson.

Sampson, as Jay Bilas said, was just 1 of 114 other programs who were cited for illegal phone calls. Unfortunately, Sampson was arrogant about the phone call use and was already on probation.

Why did they wait until now? Why didn't they wait until the end of the season? Indiana University handled this as bad as University of Cincinnati. IU knew about this in October and did nothing until now?

Please, I'm not saying Sampson shouldn't be fired because he was already on probation and knew the rules. He SHOULD'VE been fired. But to compare him to Rick Neuheisal is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
    The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?
    The Bill Lynch hire, the Kelvin Sampson hire, the way he handled the Sampson situation, the way he threw Adam Herbert under the bus for the the Sampson hire and his shear arrogance in not taking any advice from anyone (allegedly). Thats what I came up with off the top of my head.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The Bill Lynch hire, the Kelvin Sampson hire, the way he handled the Sampson situation, the way he threw Adam Herbert under the bus for the the Sampson hire and his shear arrogance in not taking any advice from anyone (allegedly). Thats what I came up with off the top of my head.
    Greenspan did not have a choice but to hire Sampson. Herbert refused Greenspans first pick and demanded he pick Sampson. Keep in mind also at least Greenspan is talking to the media, Herbert refuses to talk to the media so if Herbert was thrown under the bus by Greenspan I would think he would be more than willing to talk to the media and set the record straight.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Stat geek...and proud

Not a fan of the Bill Lynch hire? I thought he did a great job this year all things considered after what happened with Hep.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Greenspan did not have a choice but to hire Sampson. Herbert refused Greenspans first pick and demanded he pick Sampson. Keep in mind also at least Greenspan is talking to the media, Herbert refuses to talk to the media so if Herbert was thrown under the bus by Greenspan I would think he would be more than willing to talk to the media and set the record straight.
    Who was Greenspan's first pick?

Turn Off Ads?