Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 107

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

  1. #16
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    So we get him in the SEC now? Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    I can easily see him coaching in a major conference next year.

  4. #18
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    As a Knicks fan, I hope that IU hires Isiah Thomas.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  5. #19
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

  6. #20
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,926

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'll be completely shocked if the NCAA bans him in any way. Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps have already predicted Kelvin will be coaching in D1A next season.
    I agree they won't ban him, but any AD that even interviews him should be fired on the spot.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  7. #21
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,507

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    It might take a few years, but he'll be back..see other two time cheats like Rick Neuheisel
    Go Gators!

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.
    As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  9. #23
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    How can the AD survive this catastrophe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  10. #24
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

    If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

    That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,061

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.
    I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
    The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

    Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #26
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
    The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

    Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?
    Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,061

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

    If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

    That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.
    I think everyone is overheating when responding to the kids "threats."
    They're obviously upset, and it's easy if you look at it from their standpoint to see why. If my boss(with cause or not) was fired, and I came to a company specifically to work for that boss, I'd have some reservations about continuing to work.

    That said, I imagine they'll play.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. #28
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,564

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    I don't agree with the players boycotting, but I feel for these young men. They are in a tough spot... put there by a man named Kelvin Sampson. I don't blame the AD. Sure this makes his choice look bad, but rest assured Kelvin was grilled before being hired and told that he will be canned if guilty again.

    The NCAA needs to crack down on repeat offenders and make rules that call for suspensions:
    > 1st violation: permanent probation (as long as you coach in the NCAA).
    > 2nd violation: 2 year ban.
    > 3rd violation: lifetime ban.

    They suspend athletes for bad conduct, drug use, talking to agents, etc. Coaches should be held to a higher standard than the athletes. They are the leaders of their teams and examples to the young men/women that play for their university.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,061

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.
    He believed Sampson had learned from his "mistakes."

    Lots of coaches are given second chances. Some prove to be worthwhile, some don't.

    I believed then, and still believe now, the phone issue by itself is not that big of a deal. If Sampson would have toed the line, this program would be back to a top 10 program 2 years into the hire. That's pretty impressive.

    Unfortunately, Sampson couldn't keep himself from dialing, and when his hand was caught in the cookie jar, he couldn't keep himself from lying to try and cover it up.

    Blaming Rick Greenspan for Sampson cheating is like blaming Brian Sabean for Barry Bonds using steroids.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  16. #30
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: Sampson OUT at IU

    When you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised if you get up with fleas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25