Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

Re: Sampson OUT at IU

From Gene Wojciechowski at ESPN:

But the NCAA will insist on penalties, not the usual Hoosiers basketball angst. Removing Sampson from the sidelines was an appropriate start, but only a start. The truth is, he was a goner -- it was only a matter of when he would leave and how much it would cost IU to make him leave.

Indiana shouldn't stop there. It should self-impose a postseason ban on this year's team. At the very least, no NCAA Tournament appearance and the money that comes with each game played during March Madness. That should get the attention of the NCAA Committee on Infractions, eh?

Of course, IU could take its chances. It could dispute the charges. It could argue that it cut away the Sampson cancer before it metastasized. It could appeal whatever penalties the NCAA eventually levies.

Or Indiana could do the pre-emptive thing. The smart thing. The right thing. It could admit it never should have hired Sampson, take its punishment and start being IU again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I just hope the guys wait to see who the next coach will be before making to decision on whether to transfer. I think one or two players are leaving regardless though. Just my opinion.
    How about Devin Ebanks? Do you think Sampson leaving would put him back on the open market?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I just hope the guys wait to see who the next coach will be before making to decision on whether to transfer. I think one or two players are leaving regardless though. Just my opinion.

I saw in the press conference that Greenspan said that a few of the new recruits have escape clauses in their LOIs if the coaching situation changed - which it has.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Concerning Ebanks, this NY Daily News article is from 17 Feb.

Kelvin Sampson may or may not be Indiana's coach when the Hoosiers face Purdue on Tuesday. Now, Queens product Devin Ebanks, Sampson's top incoming recruit for next season, may want out of his commitment to the Hoosiers.

"I don't know yet," Ebanks told the Daily News Saturday. "Me and my mother haven't made any decisions yet. We're going to wait and see what happens."

The 6-8 Ebanks, one of the top high school players in the country, verbally committed to the Hoosiers last summer and signed his letter of intent in early November.
    And more from the article...

If Sampson survives, Ebanks says he's a lock to stay as well. But it is becoming increasingly likely that Sampson will be fired. If Sampson goes, Ebanks will probably want to leave, too.

If Ebanks decides to leave Indiana, he would need to ask to school to release him from his letter of intent. He said he and his mother haven't explored that yet, because Sampson is still the Hoosiers' coach.

"We haven't tried at all," he said. "We're staying committed. I still hope he stays."

The 2 recruits with "opt-out" clauses in their LOI's are Ebanks and Holloway. From the Indy Star...

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University basketball signees Devin Ebanks and Terrell Holloway have provisions in their letters of intent that could release them from their commitment because of coach Kelvin Sampson's resignation Friday.

IU athletic director Rick Greenspan did not identify them but said "one or two recruits" had letters with escape clauses related to NCAA Tournament bans or a change of coaches.

"That's a commitment obviously we'd honor," Greenspan said.

"The next challenge for this coaching staff will be to reach out to those young men and provide them some sense of comfort and normalcy in an environment that's very different than when they committed."

Ebanks, a 6-8 forward from New York, is rated among the top 10 players in the country, according to recruiting services.

Holloway, a 6-footer from Cincinnati Harmony Community School, is ranked among the top 20 point guards in the nation and top 150 players.

Ebanks' mother, Yvonne Jackson, told Sports Illustrated last week, when the university said it would determine Sampson's fate within a week, that she and her son were uncertain if they would maintain their commitment.

"Right now, we still have yet to make a decision," Jackson said. "Obviously, this is more serious than ever before, but we'll have to talk with the coaches and wait to see if Devin will reopen his recruitment."

Ebanks and Holloway could not be reached Friday night.

We've got a scholly at Kentucky for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    We've got a scholly at Kentucky for him.
    You can have DeAndre Thomas when he transfers...

You can have DeAndre Thomas when he transfers...
    The more I see of him the less I like him.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I hear lots if IU fans saying the same thing.

Here's more on next year's recruits from the Bloomington Herald-Times blog.

One of the most devastating implications to the end of the Kelvin Sampson era in Bloomington may still yet to be seen.

At this point, itís hard to tell. Thereís four members of Indianaís 2008 class who are now left with a decision of whether or not to come and play for a coach they didnít originally sign with. Devin Ebanks, Terrell Holloway, Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard all planned on coming to Indiana to play for Kelvin Sampson.

Now Sampsonís out, and Dan Dakich is in (for now at least). Athletic Director Rick Greenspan announced Friday that Indiana intends on honoring the clause in two of the letters of intent that allows those players to be released if Sampson was no longer the coach. Associate Athletic Director Grace Calhoun confirmed after the press conference that indeed Ebanks and Holloway are those two. Ebanks, a 5-star prospect according to Rivals.com, is the signature recruit of the class.

Calls to both Ebanks, his prep coach Jere Quinn and Holloway were unreturned Sunday evening, but all have talked with media outlets over the past few days about the tumultuous situation at Indiana.

Ebanksí mother, Yvonne Jackson, spoke with SI.comís Kevin Armstrong last week (before Sampsonís fate was determined) and said that they had yet to make a decision on the issue. Another story by the NY Daily News reads along the same line: Ebanks and his mother, while acknowledging the fact that they committed to a school not a coach, will now begin to consider their options. He is expected to re-open his commitment to Indiana, Rutgers and Miami (FL).

Meanwhile, Holloway spoke with John Felts of Inside Indiana and offered several of the same sentiments as his friend Ebanks. ďIím in a wait and see mindset right now,Ē said Holloway, who is currently playing with former IU recruit Bud Mackey at Harmony Community in Cincinnati. ďI havenít talked to Coach Dakich yet, but Iím sure I will. Coach (Jeff) Meyer called me and we talked about everything. Iím still signed with the Hoosiers, but I want to see how everything plays out before I make my final decision.Ē

I spoke with Matt Roth on Wednesday of last week, and he told me that he stood behind Kelvin Sampson and his commitment with Indiana. Not knowing what Sampsonís fate would be, the Washington, Ill. native said that if Sampson was no longer the coach at Indiana, heíd have to sit down with his parents and high school coach Kevin Brown and discuss his options. At the end of last summer, Roth chose Indiana over Bradley and St. Louis. Roth, like Pritchard, would have to be released out of his letter of intent by Indiana before signing with another school.

Repeated calls to Pritchard last week were not returned.

And thereís also 2009 commit Derek Elston, a rising talent from Tipton, IN who was named in the NCAA report after accepting a backpack from IU assistant Jeff Meyer this past summer. All of this leaves these 17-18-year old kids in an extremely difficult decision. Sure, a lot of people will argue that kids commit with a school and not a coach. That may be true to some degree. But these kids wanted to play for Sampson and thereís no arguing that. Ebanks, who was recruited by former IU assistant Rob Senderoff and still signed with Indiana despite Senderoffís resignation last October, told Armstrong he felt he related to Sampson because of the troubles both of them have been involved with. Ebanks, among other things, was kicked out of Bishop Louglin High in Brooklyn his junior year for a growing list of transgressions.

The most integral component to this dilemma wonít be in the mix most likely until late March, because thatís when itís probable Indiana will bring itís new head coach. Barring a phenomenal tournament run, it probably wonít be Dakich. Thereís a ton of names floating around out there, and itís really hard to pinpoint where Greenspan will go in his search.

But itís a certainty what the new head coachís first mission will be: re-recruit not only Indianaís current players, but also the 2008 signees. Ebanks will the top priority. Much like Kelvin Sampson two years ago, when he flew to D.J. Whiteís home in Alabama and met his family in an attempt to convince him to stay at Indiana, IUís new head man will have a hefty job in front of him.

If anything else, the next two to three months should be very interesting. I guess, at this point, we shouldnít expect anything less from this program.

With him there's always more to see.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    With him there's always more to see.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Thank god my television is widescreen!

Does it look to you guys like he has picked up weight as the season has progressed?

Does it look to you guys like he has picked up weight as the season has progressed?
    It certainly does look that way, I wouldn't have thought that was possible during the season though.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Jared from Subway...Paging Jared...

Turn Off Ads?