Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Sampson OUT at IU

Re: Sampson OUT at IU

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Getting Pearl or Bennett would be a serious coup.
    I agree on Pearl, but I'm curious as to why you think it'd be tough to lure Bennett away from Wash. St. ?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If he wore black and gold, I'd love him... as it is, I have to hate him.
    Pearl is nice, but, myself, I'm just happy enough with Matt Painter.

Pearl is an interesting one in that he knows Indiana basketball. He was coach at the University of Southern Indiana for awhile. And as I have learned living in Evansville, (where USI is located) it very much leans toward IU. Makes it difficult being a Purdue fan of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I agree on Pearl, but I'm curious as to why you think it'd be tough to lure Bennett away from Wash. St. ?
    Well... to be honest, I think it's going to be tough for them to get anyone of an even moderately high profile. Possible sanctions? Transfers from current team? Loss of 08 recruits? A year and a half behind on recruiting for 09?

I don't think people are going to be falling all over themselves to take that gig like they would have in the past.

Not that IU can't be great again, but I see a UC-like rebuilding process in Bloomington. Maybe worse.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well... to be honest, I think it's going to be tough for them to get anyone of an even moderately high profile. Possible sanctions? Transfers from current team? Loss of 08 recruits? A year and a half behind on recruiting for 09?

I don't think people are going to be falling all over themselves to take that gig like they would have in the past.

Not that IU can't be great again, but I see a UC-like rebuilding process in Bloomington. Maybe worse.
    This is my concern as well. If Dakich can convince the 08 recruits to stick with their commitments, that will help quite a bit. He has work to do when it comes to keeping guys like Bassett and Crawford around as well. The biggest road block is likely to be the threat of sanctions though.

There's almost no situation where a coach wouldn't have to convince players to stay. The sanctions are one thing and it would be nice if IU can get the NCAA to speed up the process so it can be finished in April as opposed to June. (There was an article which mentioned IU can ask, but the NCAA does not have to expedite the process. Still it would be nice to see if it can happen.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I think the NCAA taking its sweet time to bring down the ax is essentially an informal part of the punishment. The longer they drag it out, the more the school is punished. I cannot see the NCAA doing them any favors in that regard.

This is from Bob Kravitz's column this morning. I think he's dreaming if he thinks Izzo would leave MSU for IU.

(And while we're talking about the IU coaching situation, let me again mention Michigan State coach Tom Izzo. He is perfect for the job. If the IU administration doesn't at least make the phone call, it will be the height of negligence and stupidity.)

From yesterday's Courier Journal.

There are plenty of questions surrounding the Indiana University men's basketball program, including who will be the coach next season.

But perhaps most important since Kelvin Sampson resigned nine days ago: What will happen to the four Indiana signees?

Devin Ebanks, Terrell Holloway, Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard signed with the Hoosiers in November, but now their status is up in the air. The players would have to get a release from IU to go elsewhere.

The 6-foot-8 Ebanks is one of the top 20 players in the Class of 2008 and was visited by IU interim coach Dan Dakich this week during a game for his St. Thomas More Prep School in Oakdale, Conn.

"Right now Devin is still continuing with his decision to go to Indiana," St. Thomas More coach Jere Quinn told HoosierNation.com. "We're going to finish the season, and then we're going to sit around with his family and assess the situation."

The other recruits have also said they will wait before making further decisions.

If IU can keep just two of those four I think it would be a huge victory for the program.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If IU can keep just two of those four I think it would be a huge victory for the program.
    I agree. Keeping Bassett and Crawford would be nice but I expect at least one of those two to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    This is from Bob Kravitz's column this morning. I think he's dreaming if he thinks Izzo would leave MSU for IU.
    Kravitz has no clue, he was mentioning Izzo on his hack radio show was well.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

More on the Hoosier's search for a new coach. From today's Indy Star.

Former Indiana University quarterback and trustee Harry Gonso will lead a 10-person team charged with conducting a nationwide search for a new men's basketball coach.

Assistant Dan Dakich has been the interim coach of the Hoosier basketball team after Kelvin Sampson resigned last month in the wake of allegations of major NCAA rules violations.

Other members of the search committee include athletic director Rick Greenspan, IU vice president Bill Stephan, former IU soccer coach Jerry Yeagley, former IU basketball player Wayne Radford and five others.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Is Steve Alford still coaching Iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Is Steve Alford still coaching Iowa?
    New Mexico
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I seriously doubt Alford is a candidate anyway.

Turn Off Ads?