Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a LTC for Edwin?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-sign him to a LTC

37 56.92%
  • No

28 43.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you in favor of a LTC for Edwin?

Re: Are you in favor of a LTC for Edwin?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    what has EE done to warrant one? Can't forget that dismal first half of last year. Maybe if he produces some solid numbers over the next two years.
    He's shown flashes. That's really all a young player needs to do to show his potential. I think that the Reds are worried that if he produces up to his potential next year his price tag could go way up. Right now he could end up being a real bargain if he does play up to that potential, and they have him locked in.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Hold on now. Robinson Cano has played almost three full seasons and has a .835 career OPS, at a position where the average starter is at .767. Encarnacion has a .798 career OPS at a position where the average starter is at .838. 4/20 is crazy - I think Edwin would have to get markedly better to even get $20M over the next 4 years if we just took him through arbitration.
    And I know you didn't fully support the BP deal, but his career OPS is .725. That just is not good.

Last year... BP had a .816 OPS in his amazing breakout year, while
    EE had a .794 OPS in his struggling season.
    EE had a .832 OPS in 2006, while BP had .751. EE is a better hitter by a comfortable amount. When BP was going into his age 25 season, he had about 340 at bats with an OPS around .600

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    He's shown flashes. That's really all a young player needs to do to show his potential. I think that the Reds are worried that if he produces up to his potential next year his price tag could go way up. Right now he could end up being a real bargain if he does play up to that potential, and they have him locked in.
    Flashes yes, but LTCs should be limited to the core center pieces of your team. Ed could be that but until he proves it on a consistant basis I don't want to have Ed stuck on our roster if it doesn't pan out. It took Cano a couple of years to get one, BP only after a monster year and Dunn has yet to get one after his best season of production yet. If EE plays to his fullest potential this year then sure why not, but I'm in the wait and see boat.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    And I know you didn't fully support the BP deal, but his career OPS is .725. That just is not good.

Last year... BP had a .816 OPS in his amazing breakout year, while
    EE had a .794 OPS in his struggling season.
    EE had a .832 OPS in 2006, while BP had .751. EE is a better hitter by a comfortable amount. When BP was going into his age 25 season, he had about 340 at bats with an OPS around .600
    You're right, I wasn't crazy about BP's extension. But one thing to consider when you compare their numbers is the positions they play - relative to their positional peers BP's career .725 OPS is pretty similar to EE's .798. Another difference is that BP is a better defender than EE (though Edwin is getting better). The final thing is that Phillips just showed he was capable of having a significantly above average season for his position. Edwin hasn't yet. So yeah I was apprehensive about the Phillips deal, but I would like a long term contract to EE even less. I don't think their situtations are that comparable.

Now if EE comes out this season and puts up a .875 OPS then yeah, we probably lost some money by not extending him now. But IMO you've got to make him show he's worthy before you commit $20M to him.

EE may have a long, wonderful career ahead of him, but he has proven very littl so far. What we know is that for short periods he can hit well. He still is not an ideal fielder at any position. Not in favor of over extending an offer on potential. See WilyMo Pena.

Did some digging, thought this was surprising.

Turn Off Ads?