Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse anyone?

Re: Kyle Lohse anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Yep if we converted half the blown saves last year we were only a couple games out of 1st.
    I read a stat where if our bullpen had pitched as well as St Loius's then we would have won the division. Worst Bullpen in the NL at 5.10 and second worst pitched 4.77. That's kind of a ridiculous stat if you think about it. We should contend into August or later for the next 4 years. We are a middle of the pack team now and being in a weak division and with all of our youngsters we have a chance to make the playoffs this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

i couldn't care less if they sign him, if it's not to a huge contract, the only reason i was opposed, was because of the ridiculously huge numbers that were floating around he was supposed to get.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    I read a stat where if our bullpen had pitched as well as St Loius's then we would have won the division. Worst Bullpen in the NL at 5.10 and second worst pitched 4.77. That's kind of a ridiculous stat if you think about it. We should contend into August or later for the next 4 years. We are a middle of the pack team now and being in a weak division and with all of our youngsters we have a chance to make the playoffs this year.
    The lack of us having a 5th rotation spot really hurt us last year also. Im gonna have to check that stat out some time tonight.

Yep if we converted half the blown saves last year we were only a couple games out of 1st.

Right, and now that it APPEARS that the bullpen is solidified with Cordero manning the ninth and Burton and Weathers in the 7th and 8th you would have to believe the blown saves would decrease by more than a few. Would you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Right, and now that it APPEARS that the bullpen is solidified with Cordero manning the ninth and Burton and Weathers in the 7th and 8th you would have to believe the blown saves would decrease by more than a few. Would you agree?
    Yea no doubt

IP/GS
    2007 - 5.91 - Loshe - Career - 5.77
    2007 - 5.61 - Fogg - Career - 5.66
    5.15 - Affeldt (Career since he didnt start last year)
    2007 - 5.92 - Belisle - Career - 5.71

The assumption that Loshe doesn't go deep enough into games is just purely wrong. Fogg, and especially Affeldt are the ones you need to worry about.

Ok, then if the blown saves decrease you would have to think the Reds would win more games. So why is it that you believe they are going to be so bad this year?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    IP/GS

The assumption that Loshe doesn't go deep enough into games is just purely wrong. Fogg, and especially Affeldt are the ones you need to worry about.
    The thing with Lohse is he'll give ya 7 innings and 3 runs one start and then go 2 and a 3rd the next start.

Just by quickly adding up stats our 5th spot in the rotation posted a ERA of about 8. Its not exact but its not that far off either.

IP/GS

Who said he didnt go far into games? He throws gems all the time but he also throws duds. It averages out to be solid but game by game hes a nightmare.

Josh Fogg has a 60-60 career record with a high ERA. I normally don't look into record like this but him having a 60-60 career record with such a high ERA tells me he can keep you in the game if you can score a few runs. Basically he's a good guy to have on the mound in those 6-5 type games because he wont shut anyone down but normally wont get his brains beat in either. I hope I made sence.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Josh Fogg has a 60-60 career record with a high ERA. I normally don't look into record like this but him having a 60-60 career record with such a high ERA tells me he can keep you in the game if you can score a few runs. Basically he's a good guy to have on the mound in those 6-5 type games because he wont shut anyone down but normally wont get his brains beat in either. I hope I made sence.
    I understood it

Pitching isnt just about what your yearly stats its also about limiting the starts that your team just cant compete in because you only went 2 ip of 6 er.
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 02-25-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Games Starting with less than 5 IP. 5 IP is used because you need 5 IP to get a Win.

2007 - 8 - Loshe
    2007 - 4 - Fogg
    2007 - 3 - Belisle

Now we will post the amount of 5 IP games which include any range of 5 IP\

2007 - 2 - Loshe (that's really low)
    2007 - 9 - Fogg (all exactly 5IP)
    2007 - 10 - Belisle

But how about times the Bullpen were saved? You can't look at just 1 extreme and not the other for a fair assessment. 8+ IP

2007 - 4 - Loshe
    2007 - 0 - Fogg
    2007 - 1 - Belisle

So while Loshe will have just 4-5 more "horrible" games, he will also be more likely to pitch deeper into game and have the great games. Fogg is going to consistently be at the 5-6IP mark. It depends on what you think is better, but Loshe is very likely to pitch 6IP+ compared to Fogg/Belisle

Games Starting with less than 5 IP. 5 IP is used because you need 5 IP to get a Win.

2007 - 8 - Loshe
    2007 - 4 - Fogg
    2007 - 3 - Belisle

Now we will post the amount of 5 IP games which include any range of 5 IP\

2007 - 2 - Loshe (that's really low)
    2007 - 9 - Fogg (all exactly 5IP)
    2007 - 10 - Belisle

But how about times the Bullpen were saved? You can't look at just 1 extreme and not the other for a fair assessment. 8+ IP

2007 - 4 - Loshe
    2007 - 0 - Fogg
    2007 - 1 - Belisle

So while Loshe will have just 4-5 more "horrible" games, he will also be more likely to pitch deeper into game and have the great games. Fogg is going to consistently be at the 5-6IP mark. It depends on what you think is better, but Loshe is very likely to pitch 6IP+ compared to Fogg/Belisle
    I think the bad starts hurt the pen more than the good starts help it. Thats just my opinion though.

I think the bad starts hurt the pen more than the good starts help it. Thats just my opinion though.
    Are 5 IP bad starts? That requires 4 IP of the bullpen which is quite a bit. Fogg is an expert at those 5IP starts.

Is 4 starts of less than 5 IP worse than - 7 GS of 5 IP + 4 GS of 8+IP? Its hard for me to think it is

Turn Off Ads?