Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Lineups, per Fay

Dusty Lineups, per Fay

I just finished up my notebook for tommorow. The lead is on the lineup. My best guess (provided Jay Bruce doesn't win the center field job):

Freel/Hopper CF
    Hatteberg/Votto 1B
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross/Valentin C

That's based on some things Dusty Baker said:

On who hits leadoff when Norris Hopper or Ryan Freel doesn't start: ďI hope one or other would be in the game,Ē Baker said. ďThatís my hope. I donít know many teams that have three (leadoff guys).Ē

On the lineup in general: ďIt probably wonít be a whole lot different than last year. Without Josh Hamilton, it will be different.Ē

On who hits second: ďItís probably equally important who the second hitterís going to be. Thatís a big, big spot. Itís a smart spot, a contact spot, a move-the-ball-around spot, an unselfish spot. Itís probably one of the more spots in the lineup. It depends whoís playing, you donít want it to be a power guy. Gonzalez, Keppinger, Hatteberg. Youíd like a little more speed.Ē

On Brandon Phillips hitting clean up: ďBrandon will probably hit third someday. But, right now, I need to him break up Junior and Dunn."
    __________________________________________________ ______

over in the ORG, you've got guys lining up on the Bridge ready to jump off at the prospect of having Gonzo/Keppinger in the 2 hole.

Personally I LOVE Votto in the #2, I think he's ideal - this of course after learning that Votto actually swiped 20 bags or so in the minors a few times, so actually has some speed.

Insert Keppinger against lefties at 1B, and I can live with the top 2.

However, I'm still not happy with Batting Dunn 5th - probably never will. This darn insistence on "splitting up the lefties" is getting REAL OLD, and having an out-machine like BP in the middle of those guys makes no sense to me. I think the biggest issue to this is Jr - as no way would his ego allow him to move down in the lineup. Hopefully he's gone in 2009 and Jay Bruce is in - of course we probably have to split him and Dunn up too (assuming he's even here), so maybe it's just the same situation.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Lineups, per Fay

I really would like Keppingers bat in the line up. I agree with not liking Dunn batting 5th, Id rather have him betting 3rd just because he cant do anything with RISP but walk, and I cant stand watching him walk and then have Alex Gonzales try to be the teams RBI guy.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Jr - as no way would his ego allow him to move down in the lineup.
    Didn't Jr. hit 4th and 5th for a bit back in maybe 2005 or so?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I think the Jr ego thing is a little overblown

If Bruce isn't in the lineup, I won't be watching much. With Josh Hamilton gone, the team lacks some luster without some young phenom to watch. It appears to be more of the same.

Until Bruce is in the lineup, I will probably be less interested.
    Who's on first?

The thought of Freel and Hopper playing ahead of Jay Bruce turns my stomach. Even Jerry Narron never played Freel or Hopper over a healthy Hamilton once it was established that Hamilton could play. Of course, we don't really know what Bruce can do up here, but its not like with Hamilton where he didn't play ball for 5 years.

I also don't like Phillips batting cleanup, but that's a relatively minor gripe compared to getting the right players in the lineup.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

They haven't even played a game yet. How can anyone take these statements on a lineup seriously? Some of those players might not even be in Reds uniform opening day. This is just pure speculation on what Baker knows so far.
    He has not seen Jay Bruce play, ever, so how do you expect him to announce that he is the center fielder?
    Fay and other writers write these things just to get people talking. Judging by how the Sabr wonks over-reacted in the ORG, it looks like it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They haven't even played a game yet. How can anyone take these statements on a lineup seriously? Some of those players might not even be in Reds uniform opening day. This is just pure speculation on what Baker knows so far.
    He has not seen Jay Bruce play, ever, so how do you expect him to announce that he is the center fielder?
    Fay and other writers write these things just to get people talking. Judging by how the Sabr wonks over-reacted in the ORG, it looks like it worked.
    ď'I hope one or other would be in the game,' Baker said. 'Thatís my hope. I donít know many teams that have three (leadoff guys).'"

I don't know. To me, that sounds like those guys are going to be in CF and leading off no matter what.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He said tonight on 700 wlw that Bruce has every chance to play its just he cant throw his name out there because he hasnt seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    He said tonight on 700 wlw that Bruce has every chance to play its just he cant throw his name out there because he hasnt seen him play.
    I retract my previous statement. Never happened.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I retract my previous statement. Never happened.
    I understand your concern but some times print media doesnt really get the point across as well as audio. It does read like Fropper is going to be main guy though.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If Bruce isn't in the lineup, I won't be watching much. With Josh Hamilton gone, the team lacks some luster without some young phenom to watch. It appears to be more of the same.

Until Bruce is in the lineup, I will probably be less interested.
    Wow, over a thousand posts on a Reds fan board and you only watch the team if there is a young phenom. I'm sorry, I don't get it. You can spend hours online talking about a team with no young phenom, but watching them actually play is out of the question? I bet you said you would never watch again after the strike too didn't you.

Best part about 700 wlw tonight was that Krivsky pretty much told Doc how stupid he is by judging a pitcher by his win loss record

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    The thought of Freel and Hopper playing ahead of Jay Bruce turns my stomach. Even Jerry Narron never played Freel or Hopper over a healthy Hamilton once it was established that Hamilton could play. Of course, we don't really know what Bruce can do up here, but its not like with Hamilton where he didn't play ball for 5 years.

I also don't like Phillips batting cleanup, but that's a relatively minor gripe compared to getting the right players in the lineup.
    I don't know, I kinda like the idea of Hopper leading off for the first part of the season. Let him bunt like crazy and when teams start to adapt to it then bring Bruce up to finish out the year.

In our lead off spot all I really care about who is going to have the highest OBP that arent our power bats. I dont know if thats correct but in our line up just give me a guy whos standing on 1st the most and let our power hitters worry about moving him around the paths.

Turn Off Ads?