Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Did Dunn alter his swing- Trent's Spring Training video

Did Dunn alter his swing- Trent's Spring Training video

Trent's page has a video of drills from yesterday and includes Dunn taking BP. He appears to have a step towards the plate as a timing mechinism and a way to stay closed. Is this new? I don't remember it but I only get to see a handful of games per year. Is it just a BP thing or does anyone remember discussion of a change?
    http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Dunn alter his swing- Trent's Spring Training video

That toe tap is nothing more than a timing mechanism, and it looks to me like he is trying to shorten his stride. A lot of hitting instructors are teaching this to eliminate the stride and head movement. Simply pick it up, put it down with very little stride. Really helps on staying back on breaking pitches. I am trying to work on the same thing with my 10 year old to keep his stride shorter. Will be interesting to see if Adam can continue with this as the games and live pitching begin. With the exaggerated toe position, there could be some validity to this helping him keep the front side closed.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    A lot of hitting instructors are teaching this to eliminate the stride and head movement.

other hitting instructors are trying to help get rid of the toe tap following its addition and resulting failure.

Everyone has an angle. I am doing it, not to eliminate the stride, but to cut down on the length of the stride. It's awfully hard to change, once someone learns to hit with a stride and I am not advocating that my son not take a short stride. 6" at the most. The key, whether striding or tapping the toe, is that the foot must get down before you swing. The swing and the stride are two different parts of the process of hitting. The energy of the swing starts from the ground up. How the foot gets down is up to the hitter, and the success he has will dictate whether he is right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Everyone has an angle. I am doing it, not to eliminate the stride, but to cut down on the length of the stride. It's awfully hard to change, once someone learns to hit with a stride and I am not advocating that my son not take a short stride. 6" at the most. The key, whether striding or tapping the toe, is that the foot must get down before you swing. The swing and the stride are two different parts of the process of hitting. The energy of the swing starts from the ground up. How the foot gets down is up to the hitter, and the success he has will dictate whether he is right or wrong.
    oh I'm not second guessing. it's just that I was reading about a princeton basketball player, Will Venable, who's now with Padres, and he was talking about how adding the toe tap ruined his season. He's trying to remove it. I'm sure that it works for some players.

and good for you for teaching. I don't teach hitting, I just complain-- you're not keeping head in, you're not back, you're not shifting, you're lunging, you're chasing, you're no good, etc.

I am a firm believer that you have to work with what a player has. There isn't "one way," and I've seen the experts mess up many a good swing. There are some principles that can't be ignored, but there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    oh I'm not second guessing. it's just that I was reading about a princeton basketball player, Will Venable, who's now with Padres,
    He's Max's son right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    He's Max's son right?
    right

also member of final decent princeton basketball team.

Turn Off Ads?