Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy article on Matt Maloney

Hal McCoy article on Matt Maloney

Manager praises new left-hander Maloney
    Dusty Baker says the 24-year-old has control and is not afraid to pitch inside to right-handers.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Monday, February 25, 2008

SARASOTA, FLA. — He wears uniform No. 80, a nice number for an NFL wide receiver, but not a number a young pitching prospect wants to wear in spring training.

That's OK, though, for left-hander Matt Maloney. The Reds acquired Maloney July 30 from Philadelphia for pitcher Kyle Lohse. Maloney, 24, has a job. Lohse, a free agent, is unemployed.

Of 10 legitimate candidates for the starting rotation, Maloney and Jeremy Affeldt are the only left-handers.

The '80' on his back doesn't concern him. When he faces hitters in batting practice, they can't see the number and judging from some weak swings, particularly by left-handers, that number could soon be lowered.

He has caught the sun-glassed eyes of manager Dusty Baker, especially the sweeping breaking pitch that buckles the knees of left-handers.

"He not only has good breaking stuff, he has deception and late movement on his fastball," Baker said. "He has control and he is not afraid to throw the ball inside on right-handers, which is one of the toughest things to teach a left-handed pitcher. A lot of them don't like to try that because the ball tends to creep back over the heart of the plate.

"Most of the left-handers I didn't like facing were guys who could throw their fastballs inside," Baker added.

Baker didn't put Maloney into the same category as Jerry Koosman and Frank Tanana, "Left-handers who were nasty on everybody," but said Maloney appears to be trying to do what they did.

Maloney, a native of Sandusky and a Columbus resident, smiled broadly when told that both Baker and pitching coach Dick Pole like what they see of him.

"Those are good guys (Baker and Pole) to have on your side," he said. "If I can be a little more consistent in throwing my breaking ball for strikes, it is going to be a good pitch against left-handers.

Scott Hatteberg, an accomplished veteran hitter, struggled a bit when he faced Maloney in batting practice and said, "He looked good to me. Good command. He is not overpowering. And he has a good changeup that you don't see many left-handers throw to left-handed batters."

Maloney was Philadelphia's No. 3 draft pick in 2005 and was Class A South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Year and the Phillies Minor League Pitcher of the year in 2006 (16-9, 2.03 earned-run average) at Lakeland, Fla.

Last year, he was 9-7 with a 3.94 ERA at Class AA Reading in the Eastern League and was an All-Star when the Reds acquired him. He was 2-2 with a 2.57 ERA in four starts at Class AA Chattanooga, then finished the year at Class AAA Louisville and was 2-1 in three starts with a 3.18 ERA.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...22508reds.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal McCoy article on Matt Maloney

Maloney has surprised me thus far. I haven't expected anything from him, but he seems to get the job done. He appears to be a guy who knows how to pitch. Which, in my humble opionion, could be a very good thing if you're a Redlegs fan.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

If what he does in the weight room is any indication, he'll tear up AAA if they don't bring him north.

I kinda miss having him there on thursday mornings, going through the same stuff I am.

My trainer said that they've really increased his balance and core strength. I hope he blossoms and gets a big fat contract, because he promised to buy the gym new equipment if it happens.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I've liked what I've read about Maloney this spring. When the Reds first acquired him people were saying he only threw 86-87 mph now as opposed to the 92-93 he threw in college. Now I'm reading that he's hitting 91 mph again. Baseball America wrote that he has a plus changeup and slightly above average slider. Now we're reading that he has an outstanding curveball. Factoring all that in, I'd say the ceiling for Matt Maloney is rising.

I think the Reds are really concerned about the lack of a good lefty in the rotation if Affeldt doesn't work out. Maloney may have a better shot at coming north than anyone previously thought.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I think maloney is going to be a big surprise. I expect good things from him.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I still can't believe we (that's WE) got him for Lohse. Could go down as one of those Jose Guillen-for-Aaron Harang type steals. And yeah, I know there were others in the Harang deal and Valentine was actually the centerpiece.

Who is this franchise stocking up on viable young pitching arms and what have they done with our Reds?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've liked what I've read about Maloney this spring. When the Reds first acquired him people were saying he only threw 86-87 mph now as opposed to the 92-93 he threw in college. Now I'm reading that he's hitting 91 mph again. Baseball America wrote that he has a plus changeup and slightly above average slider. Now we're reading that he has an outstanding curveball. Factoring all that in, I'd say the ceiling for Matt Maloney is rising.
    Some writers (probably most) confuse curve balls, sliders, etc. I think we know that Maloney has a good breaking ball (let's call it a slurve to cover all our bases) and an even better change. I don't think he has two good breaking pitches (a curve and a slider) plus a change, but I hope I'm wrong. The more good pitches in the arsenal the better. But I thought he was pretty much a 3-pitch guy: fastball, change, slurve.

Seems that I remember the difference between the 7-17 Tom Glavine and the 20 game winner Tom Glavine was a few mph gained on his fastball......let's hope it is catching.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Seems that I remember the difference between the 7-17 Tom Glavine and the 20 game winner Tom Glavine was a few mph gained on his fastball......let's hope it is catching.
    Don't get me wrong--Tom Glavine is/was a hell of a pitcher. But after his first couple successful years, his name started giving him a bunch of undeserved strikes, in my opinion. It was to the point that, many times, if the ball were thrown within a couple inches of the corner of the plate, it was a strike. I think the key to his success was his command and ability to paint the corners, but what brought him up to that upper level was the umpires who recognized his name. If the umpire didn't give him those extra couple inches, you could see that he was throwing the ball across the plate more often.

Frankly I don't care if the kid can pitch screw the Radar gun. Lets the Reds magic season begin !
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

John Fay on Matt Maloney:

Gray 2nd (Matt Maloney pitching): Maloney throws pretty hard. There's no radar gun at the Ed. Jerry Gil singled. Javy Valentin struck out -- Gil stole second as he did. Gil went to third on a wild pitch. Jolbert Cabrera grounded out. Andy Green reached on an Edwin Encarnacion error. Gil scored. Andy Phillips flied out to center. 1-0 Gray.

I wonder just how hard Maloney is now throwing? He threw 92-93 in college and then dropped to 87-89 the last couple years and then there were reports that he regained some velocity this year. I wonder if he's back to where he was in college?

He might be, OBM.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Well, if so, that would be swell.

A lefty with velocity sitting at 91 or so with his apparent breaking stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think maloney is going to be a big surprise. I expect good things from him.
    It's why you trade players like Lohse. To acquire guys like this. Is there a risk? Sure. But I don't think Lohse is ever going to amount to much, so what really was the risk?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?