Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colon signs minor league contract w/ Bosox

Colon signs minor league contract w/ Bosox

I don't see this posted anywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3262747

Hmmm...I'm a bit surprised someone else wasn't more desperate to gamble on Colon.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Colon signs minor league contract w/ Bosox

I was saying it all along that the Reds should have at least given him a shot with a Minor League contract just to see if he could hold anything left together although I know he is a HUGE injury risk, he could pull off a miracle as well....heck he's only what 2 years removed from a Cy Young?

If he makes the team, he will earn $1.2MM plus roster and performance bonuses.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I was saying it all along that the Reds should have at least given him a shot with a Minor League contract just to see if he could hold anything left together although I know he is a HUGE injury risk, he could pull off a miracle as well....heck he's only what 2 years removed from a Cy Young?
    While I don't disagree with the thought, I would think that if presented with two minor league offers, one from the Reds and one from the Red Sox, one might be mor einclined to take the Sox offer. Not always true, but just my guess.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

It would be great if Colon had signed with St. Louis, instead. On grounders back to the pitcher, the play-by-play would be "Colon to Pujols for the out".

Grounders to first with the pitcher covering first would, however, be a bit more problematic. Pujols-to-Colon runs contrary to the normal gastrointestinal flow of things.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    It would be great if Colon had signed with St. Louis, instead. On grounders back to the pitcher, the play-by-play would be "Colon to Pujols for the out".

Grounders to first with the pitcher covering first would, however, be a bit more problematic. Pujols-to-Colon runs contrary to the normal gastrointestinal flow of things.
    score that 3-1, and it's another Colonic for the Reds.

Meh.

Fogg > than Colon as far as I am concerned at this point, given Colon's arm issues, general conditioning issues, and the reports that his fastball was topping out at around 87 were not real encouraging either.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    While I don't disagree with the thought, I would think that if presented with two minor league offers, one from the Reds and one from the Red Sox, one might be mor einclined to take the Sox offer. Not always true, but just my guess.

That is what I am thinking, as well. Even a lesser offer by the Redsox might be better than a slightly less offer by the Reds - simply because getting that ring is so important to many players. Especially for a one-year contract.
    But, I am not going to lose any sleep over this one.

I would think that a pitcher would want to go where there's a better opportunity to pitch.

that will always be Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I would think that a pitcher would want to go where there's a better opportunity to pitch.

that will always be Cincinnati.
    or maybe to win? because the answere there is most definitely not cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Meh.

Fogg > than Colon as far as I am concerned at this point, given Colon's arm issues, general conditioning issues, and the reports that his fastball was topping out at around 87 were not real encouraging either.
    Bumping to make fun of my "meh".

Was watching the M's/Sox last night (interested Felix owner in two fantasy leagues) and caught Colon, and, well:

oof.

He worked between 91 and 95 most of the night, and topped out around 97. He even touched 98 a few times.

It was stunning. Given every report on him this off-season dealt with how he was working at 87 (at best), I had no idea that he still had that kind of juice in his arm. I have no idea if it will last, but, well, I was completely 100% wrong with my sentiments in this thread. Even if Boston gets only a few games of work out of Colon like they got last night at that velocity, it will still be acres better than what the Reds have gotten out of Fogg.

I was hugely wrong in this thread. Bumping to embrace my wrongness. Colon would have been helpful to the Reds, given what I saw of him last night. And then some.

I watched the game last night as well. The Reds and a lot of teams missed the opportunity to sign this guy. He looked very good on the mound except for the fact that he looked to be pushing about 350.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bumping to make fun of my "meh".

Was watching the M's/Sox last night (interested Felix owner in two fantasy leagues) and caught Colon, and, well:

oof.

He worked between 91 and 95 most of the night, and topped out around 97. He even touched 98 a few times.

It was stunning. Given every report on him this off-season dealt with how he was working at 87 (at best), I had no idea that he still had that kind of juice in his arm. I have no idea if it will last, but, well, I was completely 100% wrong with my sentiments in this thread. Even if Boston gets only a few games of work out of Colon like they got last night at that velocity, it will still be acres better than what the Reds have gotten out of Fogg.

I was hugely wrong in this thread. Bumping to embrace my wrongness. Colon would have been helpful to the Reds, given what I saw of him last night. And then some.
    I don't think there's anyone who isn't stunned by how well Colon is pitching so far.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I don't think anyone expected it, but these are the kinds of deals that pay off. You sign guys like Colon to a minor league deal and see what happens.

I'm not sure that Colon would've accepted a minor league deal from the Reds (over the BoSox), but these are the kinds of things winning ball clubs are able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    That is what I am thinking, as well. Even a lesser offer by the Redsox might be better than a slightly less offer by the Reds - simply because getting that ring is so important to many players. Especially for a one-year contract.
    But, I am not going to lose any sleep over this one.
    It all depends. Some players would rather go to a losing team that gave them a greater opportunity to make the 25 man roster and revive their career.
    For example, the possible opportunity to start was supposedly a selling point to Affedlt this year and why he chose the Reds.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?