Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty on lineups

Dusty on lineups

He's looking for a #2.

His early choices.....Keppinger and Gonzalez.

3-5

Griff, Phillips, Dunn.

Per C Trent.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty on lineups

Gonzalez in the 2 hole is not good, but last I checked, Keppinger is a bench player, so unless the NL instituted the DH under the radar...

From Fay:

When Baker was asked who would hit leadoff when Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper aren’t playing, he said: "I hope one or the other is in the game."

That would appear not to bode well for the Jay Bruce's chance. But it should be noted that not one game has been played. Josh Hamilton went from an after thought an everyday player with a great spring.

I feel like I have to avoid even reading threads/quotes etc. I know, intellectually, that in the whole scheme of things lineup construction is not terribly important. But emotionally, I can help from wanting to lash out against a manager who is simply clueless when it comes to how the game he loves actually works...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I feel like I have to avoid even reading threads/quotes etc. I know, intellectually, that in the whole scheme of things lineup construction is not terribly important. But emotionally, I can help from wanting to lash out against a manager who is simply clueless when it comes to how the game he loves actually works...
    And of course you do...the arrogance on this board makes it unreadable at times.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Just remember that Dusty has yet to ask any of us for help with the lineup. Just give him some time. He may come around!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    And of course you do...the arrogance on this board makes it unreadable at times.
    Baker's arrogance will make the Reds unwatchable at times - probably most of the time.

I can help from wanting to lash out against a manager who is simply clueless when it comes to how the game he loves actually works
    At one point a few years ago Baker was one of the most coveted manager in the game. Baker is a type of manager who is going to drive the stats crazed fans nuts but he is going to manage the game that he feels best. Whether you like his style or not I think he has a little better resume that you do.

BP suggested last week that Keppinger should be the SS over Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Baker's arrogance will make the Reds unwatchable at times - probably most of the time.
    Really?

I lived in the same town he managed in for over 8 years, they loved him there... folks have to start recognizing that Bakers only gig wasn't in Chicago and that despite his take on the "term" on-base percentage he's seen and thought a lot about the game. And to top it off he's less of a one of kind guy in this business then most are willing to admit.

Fact is the man will have a mic shoved in his face every day this year, he'll provide a bevy of moments that we can all pile on.. this I am certain of.

So guys... pace yourself... they haven't even started playing the games yet.

BTW, I worry more about PT than I do the lineups. Dusty is gonna be "old school" when it comes to the lineups, I'm just hoping some of the young guys will get a chance.

I'm still on the Dusty bandwagon, just afraid to see AGon at #2.

Then again, Dusty wins, so he gets the benefit of the doubt with this fan.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My bad. I forgot that since Dusty has played the game, as he'll no doubt tell us over and over again, and I'm just a lowly fan, I have no place to question his judgment.

I'm not claiming to be a good manager; Surely I'd stink at it. As a whole, I'm quite sure Dusty Baker is a much, much better manager than I would be. But when it comes to making out a lineup card, I have little doubt that Dusty will construct a lineup that scores less runs than it otherwise might. Forgive me for not acting as if Dusty has some secret knowledge about lineup construction that us plebians can't begin to understand.

As Joseph said, if Dusty wins, I'll certainly care a lot less about lineup construction given it's relative impact to a bunch of other things. It's just a tad frustrating to see somebody make the same mistakes over and over again. Alex Gonzalez batting 2nd? I would love to hear why that's a good idea -- one that doesn't involve the position he plays.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Alex Gonzalez batting 2nd? I would love to hear why that's a good idea -- one that doesn't involve the position he plays.
    "He is fast and won't clog up the bases for our middle of the order guys," said Hypothetical Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Then again, Dusty wins, so he gets the benefit of the doubt with this fan.

Wait....you mean winning is important? I thought it was more important to construct the lineup the way Baseball Prospectus would construct it.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?