Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce - Baseball America's #1 Prospect

Re: Jay Bruce - Baseball America's #1 Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Five of the top 100 prospects is great! It's even greater that four are in the top level of the minors, or already on our Major League club. I didn't expect Stubbs in the top 100 though.
    I did. I figured him to be somewhere between 85-100. He has everything they want in a prospect. He has all the tools and he has shown the ability to perform (even if its just in the most recent 250 at bats).

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like a lot that even while his BA was low compared to his college numbers his OBP didnt seem to suffer all that much from the drop

Maloney didn't have any trouble missing bats his first time through aaa. And even though that was a small sample, his 12.54k/9 at Chattanooga seem to back up that performance. I'm not saying he's aaron harang #2, but you make it sound as if maloney has the worst arm in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Maloney didn't have any trouble missing bats his first time through aaa. And even though that was a small sample, his 12.54k/9 at Chattanooga seem to back up that performance. I'm not saying he's aaron harang #2, but you make it sound as if maloney has the worst arm in baseball.
    No, I just think there is something to be said about new players never seeing your stuff before at advanced levels. They will catch up to you somewhat.

Not bad, though I would put in the top 25, Votto around 30-35 and Matt Maloney would be in my top 100. With his performance and improving stuff, he's definitely a top 100 guy IMO.

I liked this question:

Q: Richard Head from Altoona, PA asks:
    Is Ian Snell an accurate comparison for Johnny Cueto?

A: John Manuel: Maybe but you know, Snell was never ranked this high, never made a Top 100. Sounds like Cueto's breaking stuff is better but I think you're right and that Snell doesn't get enough credit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, I just think there is something to be said about new players never seeing your stuff before at advanced levels. They will catch up to you somewhat.
    Maybe so. But Maloney spent twice as long at AA Reading as Bailey or Cueto have at any stop in the upper minors. In fact neither Bailey or Cueto has ever thrown more innings in one league than the 125 innings Maloney threw at Reading. So there might be some truth in the "hitters will catch up eventually" mentality but if you're gonna use it on Maloney, it applies even more to Cueto and Bailey.

I did. I figured him to be somewhere between 85-100. He has everything they want in a prospect. He has all the tools and he has shown the ability to perform (even if its just in the most recent 250 at bats).
    Yeah, but he's been a low contact hitter since college. I don't know that choking up would make that big of a difference.

By the way, doesn't this make you wonder why he didn't try choking up before the middle of last year? I think that would have been one of the first things I would try.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Yeah, but he's been a low contact hitter since college. I don't know that choking up would make that big of a difference.

By the way, doesn't this make you wonder why he didn't try choking up before the middle of last year? I think that would have been one of the first things I would try.
    Well in college the guy was hitting for a great average, so it probably didn't cross his mind that he wasn't making contact as often as others may have liked.

I don't know if choking up was as much the thing as it was getting out of the leadoff spot. I have nothing to back that up, but when you have a guy that has a propensity for striking out, having him take pitches as a leadoff hitter isn't the best situation to put someone like that in. The choking up and moving out of the #1 spot in the lineup were pretty much coinciding with each other, so its not really there to take if either or could have something to do with it or not.

Well in college the guy was hitting for a great average, so it probably didn't cross his mind that he wasn't making contact as often as others may have liked.

I don't know if choking up was as much the thing as it was getting out of the leadoff spot. I have nothing to back that up, but when you have a guy that has a propensity for striking out, having him take pitches as a leadoff hitter isn't the best situation to put someone like that in. The choking up and moving out of the #1 spot in the lineup were pretty much coinciding with each other, so its not really there to take if either or could have something to do with it or not.
    Was that around where he started hitting well too? If so, it could be that, or choking up, or just less pressure since he's been in the league awhile. Either way, it's obviously somethings helping. Let's hope he keeps it up, and keeps moving up the list.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Looking at the Top 100 from the past 10 years, it's looking as good as it ever has for the Reds. (Look at 2000-2003 - it looks like Bowden was on the team making up the list.)

2008 - Bruce #1; Bailey #9; Cueto #34; Votto #44; Stubbs #100
    2007 - Bailey #5; Bruce #14; Votto #43; Stubbs 88
    2006 - Bailey #38; Bruce #76
    2005 - Bailey #48; Encarnacion #56; Gardner #93
    2004 - Wagner #46
    2003 - Basham #69; Gruler #77; Pena #87
    2002 - Kearns #11; Howington #25; Pena #65;
    2001 - Henson #14; Kearns #24; Dunn #33; Sardinha #74; Espinosa #90
    2000 - Dawkins #21; Henson #24; Yarnell #55; Dunn #56; Bell #59; Melian #72
    1999 - Bell #35; Kearns #76; Williamson #97

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I think the idea all along was that Drew Stubbs should go to the top of the lineup and work on taking pitches and hitting with two-strikes because A.) he would ideally be used as a leadoff hitter, B.) he would get more at-bats, and C.) the Reds want him to have more practice with hitting with two strikes.

As a leadoff hitter, he walked 57 times in 384 at-bats. As a #3 hitter, he walked only nine times in 62 at-bats. As a #5 starter, where his OPS was near 1.000, he walked merely once in 50 at-bats.

I think the Reds are taking kind of a Dan O'Brien approach with Stubbs, but instead of applying it to the entire organization, it's being applied only to the players who need it most.

**nevermind**
    Last edited by BRM; 02-27-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Fay has the organizational breakdown on his blog.
    Wonder how Baseball America feels about him handing out subscriber content? Sure, you could have gone through and counted that up, but he copied and pasted that from a subscriber page.

Wonder how Baseball America feels about him handing out subscriber content? Sure, you could have gone through and counted that up, but he copied and pasted that from a subscriber page.
    I didn't know that. Should I delete my post?

Turn Off Ads?