Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns on the block

Kearns on the block

According to cnnsi.com:

"The Reds are offering outfielder Austin Kearns for pitching in hopes of repeating the Wily Mo Pena trade that put GM Wayne Krivsky on the map. Krivsky would be wise to try to resurrect the Kearns-for-Jake Westbrook deal that was discussed earlier this season, though that may be difficult because Westbrook's value has continued to rise while Kearns' has not. Krivsky might have no choice but to try to dangle Adam Dunn, perhaps as a DH to an AL team, to get what he needs."

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns on the block

We have depth in the OF and need pitching...why not?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

The return for Dunn would have to be tremendous. Like Liriano-big.

I'd be all for using Kearns as bait to net us another strong starting pitcher to go with Harang and Arroyo.

It does have the potential to be a VERY interesting next couple of days...that's for sure.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by pahster
    The return for Dunn would have to be tremendous. Like Liriano-big.
    I'd have to think Fransico Liriano would be the definition of "untouchable" right now.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I'd have to think Fransico Liriano would be the definition of "untouchable" right now.
    As would I.

yeah, ideally, I'd rather move Denorfia for pitching, but the return you'd get with him probably isn't going to be as good as what you'd get for Kearns, and Kearns will start to get pretty expensive in the years coming up, so I would say it does make some sense to deal Kearns. Having said that, I hope defensively Denorfia and/or Freel can replace Kearns or we're not going to be improving very much no matter who we get in return.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Why would si.com say Kearns' value hasn't risen? His OPS and other numbers should be potentially the best on the market outside of Carlos Lee. In fact, in some respects, he may be as valuable as Lee (younger, better contract). Interesting note on his availability, not great analysis from them, in my opinion.

I think Kearns could probably fetch a #2 or #3 starter. Dunn, as much as I have criticized him, has DH written all over him. I honestly think he would be great at it and the right team might be willing to give the Reds a top starter.

I definately think Dunn could fetch an Ervin Santana from the Angels. I wouldn't be too thrilled with just a 1-1 of that deal, though. I'd want more thrown in from the Angels side, but I could see them being reluctant to do that considering each of their salaries.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    I think Kearns could probably fetch a #2 or #3 starter. Dunn, as much as I have criticized him, has DH written all over him. I honestly think he would be great at it and the right team might be willing to give the Reds a top starter.
    If Dunn would hate being a 1B because of the lack of action and movement, what would he say about being a DH? Personally I think being a DH would be boring, and it wouldn't even feel like you're playing baseball. It's like pinch-hitting 4 times a game. I think he would be bad at it because he wouldn't accept his role well. Plus there would be a lot of games where he will go 0-4 with 2 k's, and contribute nothing to the team, because he doesn't play the field. Atleast if he has a bad day at the plate now, he can reconcile with his defense (which hasn't been that bad in the last few months like it was in April).

how about a package to include Kearns, Edwin, Claussen and Travis Wood and another prospect for Willis , Herges and Cabrera??
    i know i know Krusty,, just curious if marlins would bite

Since there's a topic now about trading, I'll throw this out. Anybody hear about Buster Olney supposedly saying on ESPN Radio the Reds have a trade brewing that could be bigger than when A-Rod going to the Yankees? Any truth to Olney actually saying it, or it being a valid rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Why would si.com say Kearns' value hasn't risen? His OPS and other numbers should be potentially the best on the market outside of Carlos Lee. In fact, in some respects, he may be as valuable as Lee (younger, better contract). Interesting note on his availability, not great analysis from them, in my opinion.
    I couldn't agree more. Kearns has done nothing this season to hurt his trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    Since there's a topic now about trading, I'll throw this out. Anybody hear about Buster Olney supposedly saying on ESPN Radio the Reds have a trade brewing that could be bigger than when A-Rod going to the Yankees? Any truth to Olney actually saying it, or it being a valid rumor?
    no this is the first i heard of it... please let us know what they are thinking...

Turn Off Ads?