Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey happy to be forgotten man

Bailey happy to be forgotten man

I love his attitude.

Bailey happy to be forgotten man
    Tuesday 02-26-2008 5:38pm ET

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In the Reds' spring training clubhouse, most of the lockers are arranged in numerical order. That means this year's phenom -- No. 32 Jay Bruce -- is seated right next to last year's phenom -- No. 34 Homer Bailey.

"I just laugh," said Bailey, who was touted as the team's savior just a year ago. "There are so many guys who have been through it -- the top prospect that’s supposed to change things overnight, that doesn't happen often. There are a lot of guys with potential, but for that to happen, we have to do things right on the field."

Don't get Bailey wrong, he thinks Bruce is extremely talented and will certainly find himself at Great American Ball Park at some point this season -- "he's going to be there this year," Bailey said, "it's only a question of when."

However, if Bruce doesn't hit five home runs in his debut or -- God forbid -- he strikes out once or twice, Bailey sees that as part of coming up to the big leagues, not that Bruce is any less of a prospect.

"If he slumps, what are you going to say? He's done? No, he's still got the same talent. He's good – he's really (freaking) good," Bailey said. "He's the best player in our organization. What are you going to say after a slump, that's he's done? He's good enough that you watch him play and say, 'damn.' It's not that he hits a 600-foot home run or a play in the gap. It's that he makes all the routine plays and a bunch of good ones. It's not how far he hits it, it's that he hits a lot of home runs."

As a teammate of Bruce’s in the minor leagues, Bailey knows his fellow Texan is special, not just because of Bruce's talent, but also because of the way he goes about the game.

"When I came to the field every day, I was usually the third or person there every day. I'd get there and Jay would be there and Joey (Votto) would be there and maybe one other guy," Bailey said. "(Bruce) would be out there getting reads off of balls to see how they'd play in every stadium."

Bailey is confident Bruce will do the same thing when he gets to the big leagues and that's why he'll ultimately be successful. However, Bailey also knows how quickly public opinion can sour.

Last spring Bailey's every move was watched and he struggled. When he made his big league debut June 8 against the Indians at Great American Ball Park there was a postseason-type buzz.

When Bailey went five innings and got the win, it was proof that things were turning around. But in his fourth and fifth big league starts, Bailey was shelled and following another start was but on the disabled list dismissed by many as a bomb. Despite going 2-0 with a 3.71 ERA in three starts after coming back from the DL, he was still being labeled as "overhyped" by those who had led the cheers. During the off-season, fans called for the team to trade Bailey for other pitchers, counting him out before his 22nd birthday (May 3).

"The only thing that really got me, when we were in Louisville, we watched Reds games and we heard bring him up, 'he's going to struggle let him get the growing pains out,'" Bailey said. "Then I come up and have a couple of bad games and it's, 'why’d we bring him up?' Wait, you're contradicting yourself. It's the big leagues, everyone struggles. I knew I was going to struggle."

As far as 2008 goes, Bailey isn't placing any expectations on himself, even though the expectations of others are suddenly much lighter.

"The only thing I'm doing is going out there and playing. If I do good, I deserve a spot, it's something I have to earn," Bailey said. "I don’t know if I'm at the top of the list or the bottom of the list. I don’t know and I don't want to know. If the team breaks and I'm here, great, I'll be happier than anyone. If I'm not, I know there's stuff I have to work on."

Either way, Bailey's now at ease and ready to watch the spotlight shine on someone else.

"That was such a mess," Bailey said. "Now they've put Jay next to me and I have to hear his (stuff). I told him, I know where you are, because I was there last year. I'm glad that (stuff) is over. That was more of a pain in the (rear) than anything. It was annoying more than anything. I knew going into the spring I wasn't going to make the team."

Bailey's still in the hunt for a spot in the rotation and there are three open positions. Although many saw the team signing Josh Fogg as a lack of confidence in Bailey, he doesn't.

"When I made it up there, I had two bad games. Hello? I'm not worried. We made trades for pitchers, I'm all for it," he said. "Whatever it takes to win, I'm all for it. I don't give a (care) about personal things. If I'm 2-18 and we make the playoffs, I don't care. I hope those are a lot of 1-run losses, but I hope I get a bunt over or something to help us."

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey happy to be forgotten man

I'm glad for him too. He'll benefit from not having the microscope focused solely on him for awhile.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's hilarious that some have written him off due to a few bad starts as a 20-year-old rookie (while possibly injured). Said people haven't followed the sport closely enough.

He needs a little more time ... that's all. This year there shouldn't be any incentive to push before he is ready.

I really do like his attutide as well. I hope he performs on the field, but that was a good read.

He really likes to cuss and (stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    He really likes to cuss and (stuff).
    He be a Texas child
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    He needs a little more time ... that's all. This year there shouldn't be any incentive to push before he is ready.
    Food analogy time...

Homer Bailey is like pot roast. AAA is the crockpot. More time in the crockpot is always a good idea for better pot roast. If you don't leave the pot roast in the crockpot long enough, or take it out too soon, it doesn't taste very good, and usually is tough rather than tender. Tender is good, tough is bad. We want Homer Bailey to taste good, and be tender.

Or maybe Homer Bailey is like a Bordeaux. If you don't let it age enough, and or properly, it tastes awful. Let Homer Bailey age enough and properly and he should taste pretty damn good.

Bottomline, no incentive to push Bailey, or Cueto, or Maloney, or Bruce for 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Food analogy time...

Homer Bailey is like pot roast. AAA is the crockpot. More time in the crockpot is always a good idea for better pot roast. If you don't leave the pot roast in the crockpot long enough, or take it out too soon, it doesn't taste very good, and usually is tough rather than tender. Tender is good, tough is bad. We want Homer Bailey to taste good, and be tender.

Or maybe Homer Bailey is like a Bordeaux. If you don't let it age enough, and or properly, it tastes awful. Let Homer Bailey age enough and properly and he should taste pretty damn good.

Bottomline, no incentive to push Bailey, or Cueto, or Maloney, or Bruce for 2008.
    Nice one. I like that...I've never heard that one before.

Kiss you mother with that mouth?

From Fay:

Dusty on Homer

Today is Homer Bailey's spring debut. He takes the mound at 1:05 p.m. vs. Tampa Bay at Ed Smith Stadium. There isn't quite the anticipation this year as there was last. I asked Dusty Baker if the fact that's there's less pressure and Bailey had a taste of the big leagues puts him in better position to succeed.

“I think he’s in better position because his mechanics are better, allowing him to throw better strikes," Baker said. "From what I hear, he was all arms and legs last year."

There were whispers last year that Bailey wasn't very coachable. Baker hasn't seen that.

“Sometimes you need to fail to really listen," Baker said. "He’s been all ears basically, which you like in a young player. But sometimes they have to fail before they listen.”

And apparently, it's working.

“Dick Pole told me his side (sessions) were very good," Baker said. "It’s getting better each side. I talked to him and he feels he’s improving, getting better, which is what you want to see.”

Bailey will be followed by Edinson Volquez. Should be interesting. They have similar arms and are competing for a spot in the rotation. Volquez may even have better stuff than Bailey.

"I like his arm," Baker said of Volquez. "I like his arm big time, nice loose arm. We just have to get him to trust all his pitches."

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Fay

Young Homer was terse.

How it go out there?

"You saw it."

How go from your perspective?

"All right. I was rushing a bit with (Carl) Crawford on. He's stole a bag or tow in his day. I settled down and got outs."

It didn't get much better than that. Homer's a bit of a smart ass. That works when you're good. If not, it gets annoying.
    A little more Nolan Ryan and a little less Raja Clemens will make it easier for fans to root for you, Homey
    Never overlook the obvious

Not quite as annoying as the writer not proofing their work yet again.

I have a feeling it's gonna take more than a rough cup of coffee for a little humility to sink in. I almost get the sense that he's going be a perennial question mark, suffer an injury, and then come back with his head on straight in his late 20's ala Chris Carpenter.

I'm usually not an intangibles guy, but I am a believer in one bad apple and Bailey's attitude just doesn't sit well with me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I have a feeling it's gonna take more than a rough cup of coffee for a little humility to sink in. I almost get the sense that he's going be a perennial question mark, suffer an injury, and then come back with his head on straight in his late 20's ala Chris Carpenter.

I'm usually not an intangibles guy, but I am a believer in one bad apple and Bailey's attitude just doesn't sit well with me.
    Wow!!! Talk about me taking "extreme" jumps in logic.

Turn Off Ads?