Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunner on Mike Tirico Show today.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dunner on Mike Tirico Show today.....

it wasn't a long segment but was definitely entertaining, Chris Fowler asked "aren't you supposed to be in an intrasquad game instead of on radio", Dunn replied with "man, when i make a promise to do something, i do it."

Kirk asked him about his impending contract and being a free agent and he replied saying "we're on the right track" (regarding talks i'd assume), and said he's "been here (cincy) from the start" and "wants to be here to the end."

Fowler also asked why he thought the reds could contend this year and he immediately talked about Cordero and how shoring up that position and allowing weathers to get to his natural setup position would be the biggest difference.

He also said some interesting things regarding Dusty and Narron. He inadvertenly called out Narron for not being much of a manager, said he could tell with Dusty that he has times he's playing and has times when he's serious and you know which is which. Kirk then asked if he thought the club was too loose last year and you could tell Dunn didn't want to pile on, but he did say "you know last year when we didn't get a runner over or something like that, it really wasn't a big deal and you can tell with Dusty that stuff like that will be a big deal"

He sounded really enthused and excited, came off real well in the interview i thought.

also, pretty funny part, they asked if was playing in the opener against philly tomorrow and he said "nah man, i've got a two bridge rule.....if we have to cross more than two bridges to get there, i don't go"
    Last edited by K-GAR; 02-26-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: extra part

Re: Dunner on Mike Tirico Show today.....

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR View Post
    it wasn't a long segment but was definitely entertaining, Chris Fowler asked "aren't you supposed to be in an intrasquad game instead of on radio", Dunn replied with "man, when i make a promise to do something, i do it."

Kirk asked him about his impending contract and being a free agent and he replied saying "we're on the right track" (regarding talks i'd assume), and said he's "been here (cincy) from the start" and "wants to be here to the end."

Fowler also asked why he thought the reds could contend this year and he immediately talked about Cordero and how shoring up that position and allowing weathers to get to his natural setup position would be the biggest difference.

He also said some interesting things regarding Dusty and Narron. He inadvertenly called out Narron for not being much of a manager, said he could tell with Dusty that he has times he's playing and has times when he's serious and you know which is which. Kirk then asked if he thought the club was too loose last year and you could tell Dunn didn't want to pile on, but he did say "you know last year when we didn't get a runner over or something like that, it really wasn't a big deal and you can tell with Dusty that stuff like that will be a big deal"

He sounded really enthused and excited, came off real well in the interview i thought.

also, pretty funny part, they asked if was playing in the opener against philly tomorrow and he said "nah man, i've got a two bridge rule.....if we have to cross more than two bridges to get there, i don't go"
    Best thing ive heard all offseason I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Best thing ive heard all offseason I think.

I completely agree, i was kinda taken back by it. Dusty has some faults, but he's definitely a leader, a leader this team needs, I think it'll translate nicely to the field, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR View Post
    He inadvertenly called out Narron for not being much of a manager
    Jerk.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That's hilarious! Thanks for posting the interview.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    Jerk.
    You better change/delete something in your PROFILE:

Favorite Player(s):
    Thurman Munson, Adam Dunn, Juan Castro, Jacob Cruz, Ray Olmedo,Todd Coffey,David Weathers
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Senor Votto

I know a lot of people on the Sundeck hate Dunn but I would love to see him as a career Red. Dunn isn't a bad guy to have around regardless of the popular belief around here.

This is pretty good to know that Dusty will light a fire under there butts to preform better on the field. Narron doesn't seem to be the type of guy to do that.

Also pretty good news that Dunn's excited to play. From the pictures I've seen of him he's reall slimmed down this year. I'm sure he's worked hard this offseason and he'll have a great year on the field this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post

Also pretty good news that Dunn's excited to play. From the pictures I've seen of him he's reall slimmed down this year. I'm sure he's worked hard this offseason and he'll have a great year on the field this year.
    HE really really stressed how happy he was that he's got the knee fixed, you could tell it was something he was miserable with last year. He was joking with them and laughing on the radio, not like some of the past years interviews i've heard from him

part of BBN

Good review. Thanks to all who post these things for us that dont get to hear !!

A leader that makes bad choices still makes bad choices that hurts the team. Narron was an idiot in both cases, but I have a hard time trusting Dusty. I notices in his intersquad game the CF batted 1st, and SS 2nd on both teams.

I've looked at Baker's lineups over the years, and this IS A PATTERN. Dusty almost always has his CF leading off. And he almost always has a SS hitting 2nd. I want everyone to take a look at this pattern. It's very easy to see. I have a strong feeling Dusty is going to use Gonzo as #2 and Bruce won't make the team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ma...akerdu01.shtml

Click the team, then click Batting Order at the top. Just take a look, doesn't take long. Also take a look at some of the players he has at the top of the order. It's just plain stupid lineup construction.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    A leader that makes bad choices still makes bad choices that hurts the team. Narron was an idiot in both cases, but I have a hard time trusting Dusty. I notices in his intersquad game the CF batted 1st, and SS 2nd on both teams.

I've looked at Baker's lineups over the years, and this IS A PATTERN. Dusty almost always has his CF leading off. And he almost always has a SS hitting 2nd. I want everyone to take a look at this pattern. It's very easy to see. I have a strong feeling Dusty is going to use Gonzo as #2 and Bruce won't make the team.

Click the team, then click Batting Order at the top. Just take a look, doesn't take long. Also take a look at some of the players he has at the top of the order. It's just plain stupid lineup construction.
    Or--you can be excited with the idea of Kepp (given the fact that Gonzo's injury could be serious) at shortstop in the 2 hole with Bruce in CF. Plus, if it's Hopper there on opening day, its not the end of the world. Bruce is still just a kid that has yet to do anything, ANYTHING, against major league talent. Should he be great? Yes!! Will he be great? Who knows--and assuming he should be the starter this year is idiotic when you have Hopper who batted 330 last year in the MAJORS.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmanlikeme View Post
    Or--you can be excited with the idea of Kepp (given the fact that Gonzo's injury could be serious) at shortstop in the 2 hole with Bruce in CF. Plus, if it's Hopper there on opening day, its not the end of the world. Bruce is still just a kid that has yet to do anything, ANYTHING, against major league talent. Should he be great? Yes!! Will he be great? Who knows--and assuming he should be the starter this year is idiotic when you have Hopper who batted 330 last year in the MAJORS.
    shame on you, reasonable thinking is not tolerated.

People can say what they want, you can argue with the method but you can't argue with the results, the Reds direly, direly needed a leader and a winner, they have both now, his methods might not mesh with other peoples, but it flat works.

Personally, i'd like to see Jay Bruce leading off if dusty is so set in his ways.......Bruce, Kepp, Griff, BP, Dunn.........that's scary.

Corey Hart led off A LOT for Milwaukee last year, and he's about to be a breakthrough player, if he's not already.
    Last edited by K-GAR; 02-27-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post

He is such a horrible manager that he led a team to the world series, had another on the cusp of a world series and had the Giants first or second in 8 of his 10 years and was named manager of the year 3 times. I cant believe that he has a job in baseball.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 02-27-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    He is such a horrible manager that he led a team to the world series, had another on the cusp of a world series and had the Giants in contention basically for 10 years. I cant believe that he has a job in baseball.
    I didn't know Bonds had no impact on baseball. It's not like he alone lead the Giants to the WS. I mean, how much could a .370 AVG .582 OBP .799 SLG with the highest single season OPS+ 268 in baseball history help? Bonds didn't hit 8 HR with a 1.560 OPS in the playoffs. Dusty did that.

Everything was the manager's great ability to have Bell's .261 AVG .333 OBP leading off the most of any player. Or it was Aurilia's .257 AVG .305 OBP that hit most from the 2nd spot. That's obviously what made the Giants win.

Dusty pitches. Did you know that? He actually pitched instead of Wood, Prior, and Zambrano. All who had ERA's of under 3.20 in over 210IP. Not to mention Clements 4.10 ERA in 200IP. But Clement, Wood, and Prior obviously didn't suffer from the workload after that year. It's not like all of them never had any arm/shoulder injuries.

That's good. I don't want to go from all this outfield depth to no depth next year when we lose Griffey. I don't know how we could handle losing Griffey and Dunn the same year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?