Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds minors ranked no.3 per Baseball America

Re: Reds minors ranked no.3 per Baseball America

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If you've been less than impressed with the current regime's drafts, what did you think of the two previous regimes?
    I don't think that anyone in '06-'07 will be able to touch Bailey and Bruce. The rest of '04-'05 is lackluster, but no one is really wowing me from the last two years either.

Many like to trumpet guys like Lotzkar, Roenicke and others from 2006-07 as wins, which is fine. But they could easily turn out to be the new Szymanskis, Rafael Gonzalezes and Philippe Valiquettes of this regime.

But we are talking about this regime. Not sure what the prior regimes have to do with the last 2 drafts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't think that anyone in '06-'07 will be able to touch Bailey and Bruce. The rest of '04-'05 is lackluster, but no one is really wowing me from the last two years either.

Many like to trumpet guys like Lotzkar, Roenicke and others from 2006-07 as wins, which is fine. But they could easily turn out to be the new Szymanskis, Rafael Gonzalezes and Philippe Valiquettes of this regime.

But we are talking about this regime. Not sure what the prior regimes have to do with the last 2 drafts.
    Firstly, Roenicke had prolonged success in AA. How that somehow could turn out to be Gonzo or Valiquette I am not sure.... since they both played below High A last year. Lotzkar could be closer to that example, although I highly doubt it happens. As for the 2006/2007 draft not having a Bailey/Bruce, well if those are your standards then you are going to be disappointed in almost every teams draft every year because its tough to produce a guy that is going to be a top 10 prospect in baseball with every single draft, its just not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Firstly, Roenicke had prolonged success in AA. How that somehow could turn out to be Gonzo or Valiquette I am not sure.... since they both played below High A last year. Lotzkar could be closer to that example, although I highly doubt it happens. As for the 2006/2007 draft not having a Bailey/Bruce, well if those are your standards then you are going to be disappointed in almost every teams draft every year because its tough to produce a guy that is going to be a top 10 prospect in baseball with every single draft, its just not going to happen.
    Don't jump to conclusions. I didn't compare the drafts on my own as a way to discount the recent ones. I said that I wasn't enamored with the 2006-07 drafts and then I was asked what I thought of the drafts of the previous regimes.

So I was basically asked to compare them.

Danny Dorn. Rookie league season in '06 was too good so he skipped low-A, going to high-A, ending up very strong a AA. That's the same as a 3 level jump in 1 season.
    Last edited by gedred69; 03-06-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: embellish

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Danny Dorn. Rookie league season in '06 was too good so he skipped low-A, going to high-A, ending up very strong a AA. That's the same as a 3 level jump in 1 season.
    Am I the only person that thinks that Dorn is consistently underrated?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    He's becoming the Arizona Cardinals of baseball. What I mean is that everyone is so frequently saying that he's underrated and not getting proper recognition that he is quickly becoming overrated. He's good, but in his prime, I think he'll put up numbers similar to Paul O'Neill's in 1990 while playing worse defense.

He's got a pretty good overall skill set statistically. I think the biggest knock on him as a prospect is the fact that he's a solid hitter at a slugger's position and wasn't highly touted coming out of college. As long as he keeps proving people wrong though, he should be able to provide some cheap production in the outfield when Griffey and Dunn are gone.

The only problems with Dorn are he doesn't hit lefites (but he absolutely kills righties) and his arm isn't the best.

Underrated.... depends who you are talking about. Baseball America has him as the Reds 28th prospect. That to me is considerably underrated. On the flip side, some on here have him in the top 10, and that to me, is overrated for him.

Turn Off Ads?