Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you have noticed from spring training so far

Things you have noticed from spring training so far

What are some things you have noticed this year so far. Doesnt have to be limited to just the players.

1. Players seem to have a ton of respect for Dusty with all their comments. They sound like they really like what he brings to the table and are ready to give their best for the guy.

2. The Dusty hate meter is off the charts. Not so much a ton of people but the people that do hate him are driving it into the ground. Picking apart every line up, every comment, and every photo.

3. Cueto is making people lose their minds in excitement even after 1 split squad game.

4. I'm glad 1530 Homer brought Trent on board even though my strong dislike for his personality at the Post. He fits in a lot better with the 1530 crew for sure.

5. Paul Daugherty is never going to figure out why hes not a MLB scout or GM

6. Joey Votto and Jay Bruce have great heads on their shoulders based on the interviews I've heard of them. They seem very comfortable in front of the mic, have all the right answers, and from all the reports fit right in down at camp.

7. The team as a whole looks in its best shape since I can last remember. The only guy that looked way overweight was Javy.

8. We have a lot of flamethrowers this year. Not that throwing heat is needed to pitch in the majors but its a nice tool to have in your back pocket. Have we even had a guy in camp throwing 98 since the early 90s? We could have a big handful of guys throwing over 95 on a regular basis by the end of the season on this staff.

9. I havent seen a photo of Griffey or Dunn with a glove on besides one of Griffey throwing off the mound for some reason.

10. Season is approaching fast but not fast enough

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things you have noticed from spring training so far

1. Jay Bruce will likely start the season out in L-ville. The Hopper praises out of Bakers mouth are very telling.

2. Agree, we have some flame throwers.......which is a nice change from years past.

3. I see Cueto starting the year in GABP. He is making heads turn.......exactly what he needed to do to separate himself from the other two young guns.

4. I haven't heard much at all about Bailey. Homer is kind of like the forgotten one so far this spring. Needless to say, L-ville will be Homers destination to start the year out.

5. I look for a big year out of Matt Belisle. 14 + wins. Wishful thinking maybe, but i think he will be much improved over last year.

6. I like Dusty, but boy does he favor the vets. Reading Dusty's comments, i get the feeling he values average to below average veterans over potential packed rookies.

7. Sergio looks to be a rule 5 bust. vbg
    Last edited by Hal#23Fan; 02-27-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post

2. The Dusty hate meter is off the charts. Not so much a ton of people but the people that do hate him are driving it into the ground. Picking apart every line up, every comment, and every photo.
    :thumbdown
    very true
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

1. There's a stronger sense of anticipation simply because of Baker's presence. And he draws more national press attention than any of the Reds' previous 4-5 managers....combined.

2. Cueto may very well be the real deal. I hope people don't start pushing him as the next pitching phenom like they did with Bailey. These kids need time to mature.

3. Bailey is under the radar...and that's good. Perhaps he'll have a chance to prove that he can pitch rather than trying to live up to everyone's expectations. (There is a difference.)

4. Bruce may NOT start the season in the majors. I fully expected him to be the starting CF when Hamilton was traded.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing Dusty. I initially didn't like him, but then wanted to give him a chance. However I've now seen enough to make my judgment.

In todays lineup, he's having Bruce play RF over Freel. How does that make any sense at all? We all know Freel can play center, so Bruce should be getting the time to prove he can.

Just right now it was a 6 pitch inning against the Reds due to their agressiveness. This is a pattern and will be throughout the season, and will cause the Reds to lose several games they shouldn't have.

Very good thread Bip. Here are my observations.

-Cueto is breaking down the door to the ML team

-Jay Bruce doesn't walk on water, he kind of skims the top.

-Dusty Baker could smile and say "hello" and the haters would go ballistic.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with criticizing Dusty. I initially didn't like him, but then wanted to give him a chance. However I've now seen enough to make my judgment.

In todays lineup, he's having Bruce play RF over Freel. How does that make any sense at all? We all know Freel can play center, so Bruce should be getting the time to prove he can.

Just right now it was a 6 pitch inning against the Reds due to their agressiveness. This is a pattern and will be throughout the season, and will cause the Reds to lose several games they shouldn't have.
    Its the first spring training game, I dont think Dusty is going to run his everyday line-up out there for 9 innings. I just dont understand the killing that Dusty is getting, look at the job he did in San Francisco. The guy is a legit leader of men I dont think we have had a legitimate manager since Trader Jack or Davy Johnson.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

BIG NUMBER ONE: Dusty Baker has no idea how to create a lineup based on ABILITY.
    I expect to see this every day, regardless of who mans the positions:

1 - CF
    2 - SS
    3 - Griff
    4 - BP
    5 - Dunn
    6 - EE
    7 - 1B
    8 - Catcher

He has SERIOUS Man-love for Hopper and Freel. Two of the worst possible people to start your lineup 1/2, and from today's lineup:

From the ORG:

Today's lineup- not that it means anything

Freel cf
    Hopper lf
    Phillips 2b
    Encarnacion 3b
    Votto 1b
    Bruce rf
    Keppinger ss
    Bako c
    Green dh
    Affeldt p

What it means is that he has MAN LOVE for Freel and Hopper. WOW, they are batting 1st AND 2nd.
    At least stick with your CF-SS and bat Keppinger 2nd. YUCK!

I can't express in words how much having Freel and Hopper 4 positions in front of Votto/Bruce makes me want to vomit.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 02-27-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The NUMBER 1 thing I like about Spring Training so far is that AD admitted that NOT DOING the little things under Jerry Narron were "NO BIG DEAL", but with Dusty it is a big deal.

Coming soon...Baseball being played the right way.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    The NUMBER 1 thing I like about Spring Training so far is that AD admitted that NOT DOING the little things under Jerry Narron were "NO BIG DEAL", but with Dusty it is a big deal.

Coming soon...Baseball being played the right way.
    Come on... ARE YOU SERIOUS? Narron was ALL ABOUT Playing the game the Right Way. Any Reds fan Knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Come on... ARE YOU SERIOUS? Narron was ALL ABOUT Playing the game the Right Way. Any Reds fan Knows this.
    LOL, o.k. But now people are admitting it.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Narron was all about playing the game the right way, but was not able to get that across to the players.

Dunn's quote implies that Narron was not strict enough or consistent enough in enforcing his rules, (which seems to be backed up by how the team played) and that Dusty has already shown that he will be strict enough.

Remember how he benched EE for not running out a pop out, but did not bench Phillips when he did not run out a fly ball that he thought was a homer? Things like that make players doubt what the manager says.

Narron wasnt personable, Dusty seems to be excelling in getting the guys to do what he wants and keeping them happy while saying it.

Probably the respect factor

I think I've noticed that Volquez is for real. He's an excellent young player, and probably has just as much, if not more potential as Bailey and Cueto.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Hopefully we see him throw to some live hitters soon

Turn Off Ads?