Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce - Baseball America's #1 Prospect

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay Bruce - Baseball America's #1 Prospect

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/265655.html

Still making my way through the list, but Bruce comes in at #1, Homer Bailey comes in at #9, Johnny Cueto comes in at #34 and Joey Votto at #44 and Drew Stubbs at #100.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 02-26-2008 at 12:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce - Baseball America's #1 Prospect

Votto seems to to get the most random rankings from people. Some people put him around the top 20 some people put him out of the top 50 and then other put him some where in between. I wonder if its just because he plays 1b or if they just kinda draw names out of hats once they get past the 1st tier prospects

Ya can't teach speed...

At what point does a guy stop being a prospect and what constitutes a "prospect"? Kosuke Fukudome, how is he a prospect and at #30 to boot?? A bunch of those guys are locks on the majors including Ellsbury and Chamberlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    At what point does a guy stop being a prospect and what constitutes a "prospect"? Kosuke Fukudome, how is he a prospect and at #30 to boot?? A bunch of those guys are locks on the majors including Ellsbury and Chamberlin.
    Hitters - 130 MLB at bats.
    Pitchers - 50 MLB innings

There is also a limit on amount of time spent on the 25 man roster even if you don't meet those requirements, but that number escapes me currently.

I'd be curious to see how many names the Reds have on that list compared to other teams.

I'd figure it out myself but I'm at work.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'd be curious to see how many names the Reds have on that list compared to other teams.

I'd figure it out myself but I'm at work.
    Third most with 5.

The Rays and Red Sox have 7.

Cruisin' for trouble

Within our division:

Reds(5): 1-Bruce, 9-Bailey, 34-Cueto, 44-Votto, 100-Stubbs
    Cubs(4): 30-Fukudome, 47-Soto, 75-Colvin, 82-Gallagher
    Cardinals(3): 5-Rasmus, 85-Anderson, 97-Perez
    Pirates(3): 14-McCutchen, 61-Walker, 89-Pearce
    Brewers(2): 23-LaPorta, 72-Parra
    Astros(1): 53-Towles

Just Missed: 4 people did their Top 150 list and then they combined them to make the Top 100.

Mesaraco got the most votes of any of the Reds with 3. Maloney got a Top 100 vote. Francisco and Frazier each got one vote .

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Votto seems to to get the most random rankings from people. Some people put him around the top 20 some people put him out of the top 50 and then other put him some where in between. I wonder if its just because he plays 1b or if they just kinda draw names out of hats once they get past the 1st tier prospects

With BA's list, they have four guys doing the Top 100. So Votto is always going to end up around 40 for them because John Manuel doesn't like him as much as everyone else. He has always stated this and fact he said it again in his chat today.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    With BA's list, they have four guys doing the Top 100. So Votto is always going to end up around 40 for them because John Manuel doesn't like him as much as everyone else. He has always stated this and fact he said it again in his chat today.
    Alright thanks. I just seems across rankings our other guys are normally ranked pretty much the same but Votto is all over the place.

15 JAKE
    McGEE LHP, RAYS
    346: Strikeouts the last two years, third in the minors behind Matt Maloney (357) and Gio Gonzalez (351).

Great stat Superdude. If Maloney has more Ks than IP AGAIN this year (for the third straight year), do people start taking him seriously as a prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Great stat Superdude. If Maloney has more Ks than IP AGAIN this year (for the third straight year), do people start taking him seriously as a prospect?
    In AAA, yes. I will say that it would surprise me if he did that though. He is a solid prospect, but it would surprise me quite a bit if he struck out over 8/9ip in AAA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In AAA, yes. I will say that it would surprise me if he did that though. He is a solid prospect, but it would surprise me quite a bit if he struck out over 8/9ip in AAA next year.
    I'm not really expecting 9+ either, but I wouldn't be surprised at all by 7 or 8. That'd put him on par with what Bailey did there last year. I know Maloney doesn't have Homer's stuff but I think he's a lot better prospect than people give him credit for.

Five of the top 100 prospects is great! It's even greater that four are in the top level of the minors, or already on our Major League club. I didn't expect Stubbs in the top 100 though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?