Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #38 Prospect?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben Jukich

23 42.59%
  • Josh Ravin

31 57.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #38 Runoff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #38 Runoff

Ben Jukich and Josh Ravin both were within 3 votes of eachother. Vote for the one you think is the best prospect at #38 for the Reds.

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #38 Runoff

Ravin can have all the potential in the world but he had an 8.51 ERA last year in Billings.

I'm giving an enthusiastic vote to Jukich here.

I went with Ravin. Stuff wise, its not even close. Give me a struggling 19 year old in rookie ball with explosive stuff over a 24 year old in High A with a good curveball and little else.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with Ravin. Stuff wise, its not even close. Give me a struggling 19 year old in rookie ball with explosive stuff over a 24 year old in High A with a good curveball and little else.
    why do you think all he has is a curveball. I've seen him pitch and besides a good fastball, he also has a changeup and slider that he throws with a lot of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by roborobj View Post
    why do you think all he has is a curveball. I've seen him pitch and besides a good fastball, he also has a changeup and slider that he throws with a lot of accuracy.
    I have not seen anything that suggest he has a good fastball. I have seen that he tops out around 91 MPH, which isn't bad at all, but its nothing to write home about. His curveball is his bread and butter pitch though and it is something that I think he will need to prove will continue to be successful against more advanced competition.

I can't bring myself to vote for anyone with an ERA over 8.

I'm going with Ravin, in hopes that his ERA was decieving.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Ravin has potential, I will give him that. But consider the following:

Ravin is now going to be in his 3rd year of pro ball but turned only 20 in January. Still very young, but he also will likely be in his 3rd straight year of rookie ball. Here's hoping his struggles last year were only last year.

Jukich is also going into his 3rd year of pro ball and impressed last year coming over from the A's. He had an impressive H/9 and K/9 in A+ last year and will start the year in AA. He may be getting a bit older (24) but with another good year he could open some more eyes.
    Last edited by kheidg-; 02-27-2008 at 08:07 PM.

I can't believe these two are in a runoff, especially with Rafael Gonzalez and Valiquette still on the board. Both are better that Ravin and Jukich!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    I can't believe these two are in a runoff, especially with Rafael Gonzalez and Valiquette still on the board. Both are better that Ravin and Jukich!!!
    Jukich I will give you, but Ravin I will argue with you on. Valiquette and Gonzalez have been in the system for 4 years now and both finally had their first year of success this past year and Valiquettes was as a reliever in Billings and Gonzalez doesn't have the stuff that he used to when he was considered I highly touted prospect in the system. Ravin on the flip side was dealing with several injuries last year among other things, struck out a ton of batters but struggled with control. If he can regain his control even a little bit, he is easily going to be the best prospect out of these 4.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jukich I will give you, but Ravin I will argue with you on. Valiquette and Gonzalez have been in the system for 4 years now and both finally had their first year of success this past year and Valiquettes was as a reliever in Billings and Gonzalez doesn't have the stuff that he used to when he was considered I highly touted prospect in the system. Ravin on the flip side was dealing with several injuries last year among other things, struck out a ton of batters but struggled with control. If he can regain his control even a little bit, he is easily going to be the best prospect out of these 4.
    Valiquette and Gonzo are still young. Both were drafted out of HS and V. was 17 if I remember currectly. BA said that Gonzo had stuff just a tick below Homer a few years ago. I know Gonzo has been called lazy but I haven't read where his stuff has deteriated. Has it? I just think that these 2 guys finally had success last year and at one time were highly thought of. I'm hoping they are starting to get it together. They've had several years to improve.

Valiquette and Gonzo are still young. Both were drafted out of HS and V. was 17 if I remember currectly. BA said that Gonzo had stuff just a tick below Homer a few years ago. I know Gonzo has been called lazy but I haven't read where his stuff has deteriated. Has it? I just think that these 2 guys finally had success last year and at one time were highly thought of. I'm hoping they are starting to get it together. They've had several years to improve.
    Yes, his stuff has deteriorated. Valiquette is literally throwing just his fastball. Its literally all he has. They are both young, but their promise they once had isn't near what it is today.

I went with Jukich because, unlike Ravin, he didn't throw 41 walks in 40 innings last year.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I went with Jukich because, unlike Ravin, he didn't throw 41 walks in 40 innings last year.
    Prospecting is rating players based on their future possible success based on their tools, not on their stats at the present. Ravin can sling it up to 99mph. That is massive potential. Nolan Ryan used to have control problems as a youngster, but that didn't mean he didn't have potential. (Ravin is not Nolan Ryan!!) Jukich had decent stats for his level but he will probably never play in the bigs. Ravin could improve his control (and attitude) and be very successful.

Prospecting is rating players based on their future possible success based on their tools, not on their stats at the present. Ravin can sling it up to 99mph. That is massive potential. Nolan Ryan used to have control problems as a youngster, but that didn't mean he didn't have potential. (Ravin is not Nolan Ryan!!) Jukich had decent stats for his level but he will probably never play in the bigs. Ravin could improve his control (and attitude) and be very successful.
    That's fair enough. I just happen to think Ravin has too much to overcome.

Turn Off Ads?