Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: targeting other teams minor leaguers

Re: targeting other teams minor leaguers

Sounds like you are making my case for me. If decent catchers are such a scarce commodity, then it should not be unreasonable to target a rising minor leaguer who may have no place in his current organization. Seems like a scarce commodity like that, who has his cheap and improving years ahead of him, would be worth giving up something for.
    Been saying it for a while now. The catching position is in extremis in my opinion. I don't think Ross will hit at all, and I think he's overrated defensively. Valentin is weak defensively and can't play full-time anyway. Bako is a backup at best. Tatum/Hanigan appear to be marginal, though there is a chance one will step forward in 2008. After that, zilch for the forseeable future.

I would have liked to see Michael Barrett here, and maybe there's a chance of that next year. But I'd hope Krivsky has discussed Teagarden with Jon Daniels. I'm pretty certain the Reds would have the goods to acquire him if he becomes available.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jeff Niemann...classic buy low situation from an organization that is busting at the seems with young arms.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds like you are making my case for me. If decent catchers are such a scarce commodity, then it should not be unreasonable to target a rising minor leaguer who may have no place in his current organization. Seems like a scarce commodity like that, who has his cheap and improving years ahead of him, would be worth giving up something for.
    It was more of a point that its going to be very tough to get a team to give up a decent catching prospect because they are so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Delwyn Young - OF - LA Dodgers #9 (Kemp, Ethier, Pierre)
    I got to see the Mets/Dodgers spring training game yesterday where Torre played Young at 2B to see what versatility he could offer. Young not only made the routine plays he made about 3 tremendous diving stops on hard hit balls. It blew my mind. I would love to see the Reds pick up Young.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I have not been able to find out what happened to Petr Cech the GCL catcher from the Czech republic? He started off hitting well (limited ABs), and dissappeared. He is still listed as "Active". Anybody know what's up?

I would bet Teagarden is pretty much untouchable, although a nice wish for sure. As rare as good catchers are who can also hit, if I had him I wouldn't trade him, for anything less than being over-whelmed with a lop-sided offer. Ramos is not really any further along than Mesoraco when factoring a minus for his thumb problems last year w/ GCL Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I have not been able to find out what happened to Petr Cech the GCL catcher from the Czech republic? He started off hitting well (limited ABs), and dissappeared. He is still listed as "Active". Anybody know what's up?
    I don't know if he was injured, but the Reds have a ton of depth at catcher in the rookie levels and Mesoraco was on the same team as Cech, so it was going to severely limit his playing time.

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It was more of a point that its going to be very tough to get a team to give up a decent catching prospect because they are so rare.

Amen Doug, anyone with a decent to good catching prospect is not going to give him up without quite a high price tag. Besides, why pick up another unknown catching prospect when you have Tatum and Mesoraco who both have some promise of their own and may not be getting enough credit for their abilities. If you're going to trade for a "prospect" catcher he would need to be Jay Bruce in shin guards and that his going be verrrrrry expensive.
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

Turn Off Ads?