Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto-Bruce act a can't miss

Votto-Bruce act a can't miss

Votto-Bruce act a can't miss
    BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | PDAUGHERTY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. – Crown Jewels, The Sequel occurs every day down here. The Reds didn’t trade either Joey Votto or Jay Bruce, a good thing probably. Because who would one rag on, if the other weren’t around?

“I’m fire,” Votto is saying. “Jay’s ice.”

Here we go.

“I’m neat, Jay’s a slob. I’m funny, he’s the straight man. I’m better looking.”

“No, you’re not,” Bruce decides.

We have dubbed Bruce The Next Big Thing. Bruce blew through the minor leagues like a hurricane through the Caribbean. He is the best Reds prospect since the dawn of prospects. He’s five weeks short of his 21st birthday. Meantime, Bruce has taken to calling Votto The People’s Champ. At 24, Votto has the inside track to start at first base after impressing in Cincinnati last September.

The two became friends last summer, when Bruce joined Votto in Louisville. Since, they’ve become close enough to finish each other’s insults.

“We can talk some trash,” says Votto. “That’s all we do,” says Bruce.

“I’m more cultured, he’s more of a politician,” says Votto. “He walks around the clubhouse shaking people’s hands. This guy’s running for office. He wants votes. It’s like, ‘Here I am, the next big thing.’ ”

“Joey wants to vote for me,” Bruce says.

“I’m not voting for you, OK?” says Votto. “Are you even old enough to vote?”

Bruce: “Do you guys vote in Toronto?”

“Do we vote in Toronto?” Votto asks, shaking his head. “Oh, boy.”

No game sells youth like baseball. No season sells baseball like spring. No players sell spring like two young guys on the cusp of something fine. And away we go.

Votto: “I played some high school football, then I quit.”

Bruce: “So, you’re a quitter.”

Votto: “No, I wanted to focus on baseball, thank you very much.”

It helps that Votto is so entirely without pretense he could teach a humility class, and that when they were passing out fat heads to eternally praised ballplayers, Bruce was playing golf.

It’s good that off the field, neither takes himself entirely seriously. What seals it is their stated desire to be Reds a long time. We don’t hear that a lot much from our sports stars. First, Brandon Phillips. Now, Votto and Bruce. What’s going on?

Votto: “We want to be part of a championship.”

Bruce: “Absolutely.”

Votto: “We genuinely care about the Reds, about making the playoffs and being a part of it. The team we have right now is something to be optimistic about.”

Bruce: “I’m really happy to say I didn’t get traded.”

Votto: “It’s flattering to be mentioned in trade talks.”

Bruce: “Yeah, that too. It’s even more flattering to still be here after the trade talks. We both came up with the Reds. They took you, they believed in you. It makes me believe in them and what we’ve got going here. I don’t think there would be any better story than 10 years from now, me and Joey are still in Cincinnati, winning championships.”

Votto: “The Next Big Thing and The People’s Champ.”

Who hits more homers in the major leagues this year?

“Oh, man,” says Votto. “Jay hit 26 last year. I hit 22 and four more in Cincinnati.”

“Just go ahead and say it,” Bruce says.

“Jay, I honestly think you won’t hit as many as I will,” says Votto.

The Reds are in transition, from a team whose clubhouse revolved around Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn to one filling up with happy-to-be-here players. What that means come March 31 is anybody’s guess. But the face is changing. It’s looking more like Big Thing and The Champ.

Bruce: “We have another joke.”

Votto: “Don’t tell that joke.”

Bruce: “Our infield coordinator, Freddie Benavides …”

Votto: “Emphasize that he’s an infield coordinator. Not a hitting coordinator, not even a weatherman.”

Bruce: “You know how the saying is usually ‘Thunder and lightning?’ He calls me ‘Thunder’ and Joey ‘Drizzle.’ ”

Votto: “That’s really funny, Jay. Tell them how you dance.”

Bruce: “I can’t dance. I try.”

Votto: “Oh, man, does he try.”

Bruce: “It’s like one of the jokes on American Idol, when they go in dressed like a chicken.”

Votto: “He can break it down with the worst of them.”

And so on. Big Thing and Champ want to play this routine in Cincinnati for a decade. We’ll wince through it, if we’re lucky.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...70113/-1/CINCI

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto-Bruce act a can't miss

Wow. I love these guys.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Big Thing and Champ, Thunder and Drizzle.
    Wow is right. I hope their dreams come true.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Wow. I love these guys.
    no kidding. that's some pretty funny stuff.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

One of the funniest articles I've read.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I am so glad that Krivsky did the smart thing and refused to trade these guys. With the young talent the Reds have amassed over the past few years, I have a feeling the next decade in Cincinnati is going to be fun to watch. It's been a long, long time since the Reds had this much young talent. I am very excited about the future of this ballclub.

With their personalities and talent, I can see those two becoming the face of the franchise.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Awesome, very nice.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

These two guys POTENTIALLY could be the Cincinnati Reds version of the Yankees; Mantle and Maris! Not numbers-wise just yet, but as two players that have gotten to know eachother and are starting out their big league careers together for the most part, you've got to love what we have in store for us, the fans, for the next decade+!!!

I've said all along keep these kids. Fellow Redszoners, it's going to be FUN in 2008 and GREAT, I think, in 2009 and beyond!!!

Haunted by walks

The Dunn-Kearns comradery never had lines that good.

Well... if they are a bust at baseball they can take it on the road and become the next Abbott and Costello.

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

Nice gesture from Jay

The biggest reason the Reds refuse to consider trading Jay Bruce is the fact that he's an outstanding baseball player. But he's also an outstanding person. This little story shows how mature and thoughtful he is for a 20-year-old:

When Bruce heard Sheldon "Chief" Bender died last week, he asked Reds PR man Rob Butcher for the address of Bender's family. He wanted to write them a letter of condolence and appreciation. Bruce won the Chief Bender Award, as the Reds' top minor leaguer last year.

"I met him a couple of times," Bruce said. "He was a great guy. I thought I should let the family know I appreciated the award."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...y.asp#comments

I'm really excited to refer to these guys as Big Thing and People's Champ in the threads. I suppose we could shorten those names to Thing and Champ...
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm really excited to refer to these guys as Big Thing and People's Champ in the threads. I suppose we could shorten those names to Thing and Champ...
    Or Big and Peeps

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I thought Jay Bruce already had a nickname - The Boss. I like that a lot more than "The Next Big Thing" or whatever it is.

Turn Off Ads?