Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weathers: "I was a little disappointed...(after my) best season (I) get demoted."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Weathers: "I was a little disappointed...(after my) best season (I) get demoted."

http://zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/a...25/1006/SPORTS

Weathers a bit frustrated
    By JOHN FAY
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

David Weathers is a good teammate and he wants to win, so he wasn't about to complain when the Reds signed closer Francisco Cordero.

But he admits it stung a bit.

“I was a little disappointed when everything happened and the way it did,” Weathers said today.

“You have your best season and you get demoted. As they say, you take it on the chin and keep fighting. That’s the way my whole career has been.”

Weathers understands why Cordero is in Cincinnati. Weathers was good last year — converting 33 of 39 saves — but the Reds bullpen overall was awful.

The Reds finished last in the National League in relief pitching with a 5.13 ERA.

“We needed a guy like Francisco,” Weathers said. “We had to have that because it makes our team that much better. But I would have hoped to be in that slot. That’s human nature.”

Weathers has always been something of an afterthought with the Reds. That was the case when he signed his current contract.

In 2006, he was a closer until the Reds traded for Eddie Guardado, and after Guardado got hurt. Still, the Reds didn’t jump at the chance to bring Weathers back.
    They signed Mike Stanton first.

Weathers wanted to come back, but the Reds weren’t willing to pay what they paid Stanton.

Still Weathers left a $10 million, three-year deal from San Francisco on the table to sign with the Reds for two years and $5 million — $500,000 less than Stanton’s deal.

“It took so long to get a deal done,” Weathers said. “If you compared me to what every other guy was doing, I was doing my job as well as anyone — with the saves, the holds and all that.

“You’re only human. You do feel underappreciated — or taken for granted,” Weathers said. “I felt that way. You sit around and see everyone else get rewarded.”
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers: "I was a little disappointed...(after my) best season (I) get demoted."

I was wondering if this is how he would feel and it apperas my intuitions were right.

Re: Weathers: "I was a little disappointed...(after my) best season (I) get demoted."

I wouldn't want him to feel any other way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That's the way it goes - he's a pro, he'll do what he's asked to do, and he'll do the best job he can.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Given what (and simply that) Mike Stanton is being paid, you have to feel for him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wonder what you could get for him?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Weathers has always been something of an afterthought with the Reds. That was the case when he signed his current contract.

In 2006, he was a closer until the Reds traded for Eddie Guardado, and after Guardado got hurt. Still, the Reds didn’t jump at the chance to bring Weathers back.
    They signed Mike Stanton first.
    Looking at two of the guys they acquired to help them out at back end of the bullpen, Rodney Dangerfield has "weathered" the storm.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

“You have your best season and you get demoted."
    Yes, David, but your best season is still one of a mediocre reliever and you are pushing 40 years old.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Weathers has a valid point. He has been a guy that you can count on the vast majority of time(s) but ultimately he was the one that signed the contract with the Reds and left the Giants offer on the table.

Everyone can't be the man, but everyone can lend a hand... what's it going to be Dave?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I was always under the impression that Weathers was uncomfortable with the closer role and accepted it 'cause there was no one else.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I was always under the impression that Weathers was uncomfortable with the closer role and accepted it 'cause there was no one else.
    That was definitely true, but at some point last season, he adjusted to and enjoyed the role there and wanted to continue doing it.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Come on Weathers, do the good teammate thing and demand a trade and have the Reds shop you leaguewide as a closer and see how far that gets ya...

Maybe you'll have your best season ever as a set-up man.

This is fantastic. Any player who is content with a move like this needs to be put out to pasture.
    That said, it is obvious he realized they had the chance to get a stud and took advantage. I think he knows his role, and is fully on board.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Something is mixed up here, either a misinterpretation of some sort, or Weathers just deciding to change his mind.

I could swear the quotes from Weathers during the winter immediately following Cordero's signing were all positive. His quotes made it seem as if he was very happy for the signing, he understood the need for a guy like Cordero, and he was perfectly fine with moving to a different slot in the bullpen to help win games.

Now they're in Florida and Weathers' tune has changed? Something sounds odd to me.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?