Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency Thread

Re: Official Free Agency Thread

Atleast we got somebody. He's not Shaun Rogers, but he doesn't cost us a draft pick either. I'll take it.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Thanks

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well then, I guess this one has happened then!

This is from the source that rotoworld.com quoted earlier:

Odom to Bengals

DE Antwan Odom has agreed to a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, agent Richard Rosa told the Pioneer Press.

That means he is the second DE to sign with a club, hours before visiting with the Vikings.

The Vikings were in the mix, but they apparently weren't willing to up the offer from the Bengals.

Odom received a five-year, $29.5 million contract that includes $11.5 million in guarantees.

"He is very excited to be a Bengal and is looking forward to playing for coach (Marvin) Lewis," Rosa said of Odom.

On Saturday morning, DE Justin Smith signed a six-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers. He was scheduled to visit with the Vikings that day.

With Odom, Smith and Bobby McCray gone, Travis LaBoy is considered the top defensive end left via free agency.
    http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/...nother_de.html

Bengals.com has confirmed it:

Odom's first Bengal sack
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 3, 2008
    7 p.m.

Antwan Odom recorded his first sack as a Bengal Monday when he swooped in from Tennessee to give Cincinnati its first jolt in free agency.

Agent Rich Rosa confirmed the five-year deal Monday evening that borders on $30 million with more than $11 million guaranteed.

The Bengals pursued him so aggressively that they literally took him off the plane bound for Phoenix. Rosa said he was headed back from the airport to stay in town Monday night.

The 6-5, 274-pound Odom rung up eight sacks in his first season as a starter last year for the Titans and gives the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

The move appears to keep the Bengals in a 4-3 defense with Odom ticketed to replace Justin Smith at right end and it helps take the sting out of the trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dwayne Robertson that fell through.

Smith, who started there the past 107 straight games, signed with San Francisco over the weekend. With his eight sacks, the 26-year-old Odom did what Smith hasn't done since 2004 and did twice in seven years.

But Odom had some big help.

A second-round pick out of Alabama in 2004, Odom formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos with Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass. The Bengals are banking on the duo of Geathers, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2006, Odom to have the same kind of production.

After getting knocked down in their bids for Rogers and Robertson, they made sure

The Bengals re-signed punter Kyle Larson to a 5 year contract.

Larson launches long one
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 4, 2008

Posted: 4:30 p.m.

The Bengals struck a long-term deal with one of their most reliable players Tuesday when punter Kyle Larson reached a five-year deal to take him off the free-agency market.

The club also confirmed linebacker Dhani Jones' three-year contract.

Larson has averaged 42.8 yards on 279 punts for his career, with a net average of 36.3 yards. He has pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on nearly one-third of his punts (81), and he has allowed only 29 touchbacks. In 2005 at Jacksonville, he launched a team-record 75-yard punt.

Last season, Larson averaged 41.3 yards and 35.2 net, and he had 21 inside-20s against just three touchbacks.

Larson, 27, is heading into his fifth season and now may be able to run at Lee Johnson's club-record for punting longevity at 11 seasons. He has been the club's best punter since Johnson was cut late in the 1998 season.

Larson, a free agent out of Nebraska, won the job right out of college and has averaged 42.8 yards on 279 punts for his career, with a net average of 36.3 yards. He has pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on nearly one-third of his punts (81), and he has allowed only 29 touchbacks. In 2005 at Jacksonville, he had a club-record 75-yard punt.

Last season, Larson averaged 41.3 yards and 35.2 net, and he had 21 inside-20s against just three touchbacks.

"I set goals at the start of every season, and I want to just keep getting better every year," Larson said in a news release. "Cincinnati has been so good to me and my wife, I feel very fortunate to be staying here and getting the chance to keep playing in front of our fans."

It also means that kicker Shayne Graham now has his holder that he's used in four of the five seasons he has become the NFL's most accurate active field-goal kicker.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6673

Hope Jones has another solid year.

Why can't the Larson deal fall through?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

At least Mike Brown isn't as bad as Al Davis.

First he gave a average DT coming off a torn ACL 55 million. Well, he topped that by giving Javon Walker (who needs microfracture surgery) a 6 year 55 million dollar contract with 16 million guaranteed and 27 mill in the 1st three years.

The NFL should force Davis out, or this franchise will be a doormat for years and years.
    Matta = Really good

BROWNS GIVE ROGERS A BIG RAISE

Less than a week after sending a third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden to Detroit for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, the Cleveland Browns have made an enormous financial commitment to the veteran lineman.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Rogers will receive a six-year, $42 million deal with more than $20 million in guaranteed money.

The move makes Rogers the highest-paid interior defensive lineman in the league, besting the record of $18 million in guarantees set six days ago by Raiders defensive tackle Tommy "Ba Boom Ba Boom Ba Boom" Kelly.
    :ughmamoru

That buys a lot of food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The Browns better hope this guys is motivated. Thats a huge deal.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    :ughmamoru
    I'm gonna guess your a Bengals fan, and am also going to guess that this is only funny to you in a sour grapes kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    I'm gonna guess your a Bengals fan, and am also going to guess that this is only funny to you in a sour grapes kind of way.
    I'm a Bengals fan, but even if I was a Browns fan I would be a little scared. The Browns are fast becoming the Redskins of the AFC. They have pumped out a crazy amount of money the last 2 seasons to FAs and have traded their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year as well as their best CB.

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.
    Matta = Really good

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I'm a Bengals fan, but even if I was a Browns fan I would be a little scared. The Browns are fast becoming the Redskins of the AFC. They have pumped out a crazy amount of money the last 2 seasons to FAs and have traded their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year as well as their best CB.

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.
    By then, perhaps the salary cap will be high enough for them to afford other impact players.

Turn Off Ads?