Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency Thread

Re: Official Free Agency Thread

Actually, aren't the owner's set on having no salary cap once the bargaining agreement ends in '09? So in 2010 basically expect the Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys to buy the entire free agent market? Beautiful world we live in...
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Actually, aren't the owner's set on having no salary cap once the bargaining agreement ends in '09? So in 2010 basically expect the Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys to buy the entire free agent market? Beautiful world we live in...
    I believe it's 2010, or 2011. Still, the Cowboys wouldn't be able to do that. All NFL teams make so much money that they can compete for free agents with anyone.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Why in the world would the owners want to end the salary cap???? The one thing that makes the NFL different from MLB????

Asinine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    That's assuming they don't work out an agreement on an extention, which is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That's assuming they don't work out an agreement on an extention, which is unlikely.
    IIRC, from what I heard, the owner's are in favor of having no salary cap after the current collective bargaining agreement ends.
    -Steve Stone

I would love for the salary cap to end. Instead of having one smart team make everyone else look like fools we would have some good teams again. No more crappy teams in the Super Bowl. And remember that San Francisco might have been the best franchise in the league from 80-95 and that had little to do with money.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Why in the world would the owners want to end the salary cap???? The one thing that makes the NFL different from MLB????

Asinine.
    There really isn't a cap now. Teams like New England, Dallas, and Washington have enough money to buy the right people to manipulate the cap. The Bengals still don't overspend in free agency. They are literally one of two teams that doesn't manipulate the cap to their advantage. Guess the other team yet? Think the only team possibly comparable to the Bengals in the last fifteen years.

Arizona Cardinals?

Do you have any data to back this up? I don't doubt that you're right at all, but I'd love to see the cold, hard numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    There really isn't a cap now. Teams like New England, Dallas, and Washington have enough money to buy the right people to manipulate the cap. The Bengals still don't overspend in free agency. They are literally one of two teams that doesn't manipulate the cap to their advantage. Guess the other team yet? Think the only team possibly comparable to the Bengals in the last fifteen years.
    My guess would have been the Buffalo Bills, but the Cardinals make sense, too. Maybe the Raiders could fit the bill, too.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    My guess would have been the Buffalo Bills, but the Cardinals make sense, too. Maybe the Raiders could fit the bill, too.
    The Bills have been to playoffs and have actually manipulated the cap at times (Troy Vincent, Takeo Spikes).

The Cardinals until recently had not ever made cuts specifically to free up money or backload contracts for a one year run. The Bengals are truly one of the only franchises that does not manipulate the cap. That's fine if you have a winning history or have a great history in drafting. It's another thing when you are the Bengals. The flip side is what happened to the Titans in 05.

It's still not true that because of the salary cap that Mike Brown spends as much money as every other team. While the Bengals claim to be right at the cap every year they truly haven't tried to manipulate or spend the necessary money like Washington, Dallas, or even teams like the Vikings, Giants, Bears do.

There is a reason Mike Brown talks about staying competitive and how it's hard with this recent CBA agreement. He feels the salary cap is being abused. Is it? Probably. If everyone else is doing it you better be though. If not you end up with a franchise with limited talent like the Bengals. That's the cold, hard truth.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I'm a Bengals fan, but even if I was a Browns fan I would be a little scared. The Browns are fast becoming the Redskins of the AFC. They have pumped out a crazy amount of money the last 2 seasons to FAs and have traded their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year as well as their best CB.

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.
    The Browns have been towards the top of the league as far as cap room is concerned for the last couple of years, and I'm sure that they have done the proper calculations before jumping into these deals. Imo the Browns are working to make Cleveland a place where free agents want to go, it's not the most weather friendly city in the league obviously and up until this year they havn't been a place to go to win a championship. After a good year last year this was the perfect chance to show the league that they are willing to do what it takes to win. As far as the draft picks go, if they had kept the first round pick that they gave up for Brady which I believe was #22 they couldn't have grabbed a better QB this year. Scott Williams is a better player than what they would have drafted in the second round, and I would take Rogers for a third round pick any day. Say what you will about the money but I think that adding these guys to the d-line not only makes the line better but it also makes guys like Wimbley better and also helps with the productivity of the line-backers.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I think they'll still be $30M under for next year also. Woof!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Bengals signed LB Darryl Blackstock

Bengals add backer

By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 10, 2008

Posted: 3:40 p.m.

According to his agent, the Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cardinals linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a 6-3, 240-pound college teammate of current Cincinnati middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks.

Brad Blank wouldn't reveal terms Monday, but said his client was impressed with head coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals defensive coaches during his visit last week that followed a trip to Cleveland.

The Bengals don't confirm deals until they are signed.

Blackstock, 24, a three-year backup in Arizona, has two NFL starts and 44 tackles in 46 career games with four career sacks. While Brooks played inside the University of Virginia's 3-4 defense, Blackstock was an edge rusher for the Cavaliers at outside linebacker before Arizona drafted him in the third round in 2005.

As the Bengals did to wide receiver Tab Perry, the Cardinals chose not to tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, making him an unrestricted free agent. He had 21 tackles and three sacks this past season as a backup strong-side linebacker and nickel pass rusher. He had the Cards' lone sack in the 35-27 victory over the Bengals back on Nov. 18.

Blackstock could get looks at both outside backer spots and as a nickel rusher.

Perry is reportedly in Green Bay on Monday for a visit.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6681

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Bengals signed LB Darryl Blackstock
    Not a top tier FA, but he has good size. As long as the contract was reasonable, I like the signing. Gives added depth to the LB core, and replaces Landon Johnson. He is quite a bit bigger than Johnson as well.

The Bengals now have really good size with their LBers.

Blackstock - 6'3" 240 lbs
    Thurman - 6'0" 235
    Brooks - 6'3" 260 lbs
    Jones - 6'1" 240 lbs
    Henderson - 6'2" 263 lbs
    Pollack - 6'2" 255 lbs

Johnson and Caleb Miller were only 225-230.
    Matta = Really good

I remember when he was coming out of Virginia for the draft. I think this has a chance to be a pretty solid move. He was stuck behind Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby, which limited his playing time. Anways, at the very worst, we replaced Landon Johnson with pretty much the same player, with the exception that I believe Blackstock has more potential and room to grow.
    -Steve Stone

Turn Off Ads?