Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals - Yes....Not So Fast - Trade now OFF. (Merged)

Re: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals - Yes....Not So Fast - Trade now OFF. (Merged)

It's not like Mikey has a track record of screwing up or anything...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Y'all kill me. No one has reported anything but "we think it had something to do with language in the trade" and "salary cap issues" and you jump to conclusions about what went wrong. Now, never mind that the Detroit Lions are at the top of the list of screwed up franchises, but jump to the conclusion that it must be Mikey's fault.

But you go ahead...jump to conclusions before insiders even know what the heck happened, don't worry about letting the facts come in...

btw, this reminds me of the Warren Sapp deal, and it is probably Mikey being his deliberate self, but I challenge folks to not rush to judgment about things. Quit being so dang reactionary to every little tidbit of information (steps down off soapbox).

Plus let's be real, there are more options out there in DT land. Stroud and Robertson are both still on the market and I could see the Bengals taking a run at either one of those guys. Rogers is a very good player but at 357lbs when does his body start breaking down. Odom is in this week as well as McCree, I for one would love a tandem of Stroud and Odom.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Re: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Good trade here. The bengals had an extra 3rd round comp pick for Steinbach. Hopefully that is the 3rd rounder they give up.
    You can't trade comp picks, I'm pretty sure.

Re: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals?

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    You can't trade comp picks, I'm pretty sure.
    That's exactly right, but that pick is probably why they felt this pick was expendable.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Most people are reporting it was language in the trade. How the heck can you screw up a trade...
    The Bengals dabble in football. The inexperience shows.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You mean the one titled 'confused'?
    told ya I was confused

I love how there is still no information on why the trade was blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I love how there is still no information on why the trade was blocked.
    Supposedly it has something to do with the $1 million roster bonus that was to be paid to Rogers today. Now why that would prompt the League to veto a trade to the Bengals and not the Browns is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Supposedly it has something to do with the $1 million roster bonus that was to be paid to Rogers today. Now why that would prompt the League to veto a trade to the Bengals and not the Browns is beyond me.
    Yea thats all I have gotten also. 1 million bonus some how did something against the rules.

Was on the road and listening to Sportstalk and the owner of profootballtalk.com made his educated guess that it was about the $1M and whose cap it would hit. The Lions wanted Rogers completely off the books, but did not get the deal done by 4pm Friday and could not take the hit on their cap as a result. Then, saddled with the $1M hit anyhow, Cleveland swooped in with Bodden and a draft pick and the Lions took that deal instead.

In summary, it was the Lions, Tigers and a pair of Browns, oh my.

Thats how I understood it also. Lions tried to cheat the system and failed

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Was on the road and listening to Sportstalk and the owner of profootballtalk.com made his educated guess that it was about the $1M and whose cap it would hit. The Lions wanted Rogers completely off the books, but did not get the deal done by 4pm Friday and could not take the hit on their cap as a result. Then, saddled with the $1M hit anyhow, Cleveland swooped in with Bodden and a draft pick and the Lions took that deal instead.

In summary, it was the Lions, Tigers and a pair of Browns, oh my.
    Well let's just blame Mike Brown anyways, it's easier and a lot more fun.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ons_assis.html

Is what someone is reporting. I find this part a little weird though.

While the Lions and Bengals were pleading their case to the league office to agree to the contract, the Browns - one of Cincinnati's division rivals - got wind of the impending trade.

It's not completely clear who initiated the contact, but Rogers' agent was in touch with the Browns and the long-term contract situation no longer appeared to be a problem. The Lions were then contacted and asked if they were still interested in doing business with the Browns. Leigh Bodden was back on the table and the Lions leaped at it.

Turn Off Ads?