Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals - Yes....Not So Fast - Trade now OFF. (Merged)

Re: Shaun Rogers to the Bengals - Yes....Not So Fast - Trade now OFF. (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Heres what Mark Curnutte posted on his blog:
    I'm assuming the Lions had salary cap issues, not the Bengals?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sure if it was one of the NFL's "GOLDEN BOY FRANCHISES" it would have gone through with no problem.

I'm not going to curse on RZ, but rest assured I'm doing it in my living room right now.

bleeping bull bleep

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

An apparent snag has developed in the Shaun Rogers trade to Cincinnati that has the Lions calling around seeking other trade options and could nix the trade.

Earlier Friday, the Lions worked out a trade in which Rogers would go to the Bengals in exchange for No. 3 and No. 5 picks in the 2008 draft. The Lions confirmed the details of the trade with the local media. But the Bengals didn't officially confirm the trade, and the front office has the public relations staff on hold to make an official announcement.

In the meantime, there is talk the Lions might be considering a trade involving Rogers going to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a third-round choice and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

The Rogers-to-Bengals trade has not been officially sent to the NFL league office.

Rogers is often among the most dominant defensive players in the league. But he failed to live up to expectations at times because of weight and off-the-field problems.

The Bengals, meanwhile, agreed to terms on a three-year contract with linebacker Dhani Jones.

Jones and linebacker Landon Johnson were two of the team's priorities to re-sign once free agency started Friday morning. Jones, who signed with the Bengals during the 2007 season after a number of linebacker injuries, was the first to reach an agreement. Talks continue with Johnson, who is an unrestricted free agent.

The Bengals lost safety Madieu Williams to the Vikings early Friday morning when he agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract.
    This is officially the most depressing day in sports. One bit of closure though may be that Leigh Bodden is out of the AFC North. If I had to choose between facing Shaun Rogers or Leigh Bodden twice a season, id take Rogers.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I'm Speechless. I'm completely without speech.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

This is officially the most depressing day in sports. One bit of closure though may be that Leigh Bodden is out of the AFC North. If I had to choose between facing Shaun Rogers or Leigh Bodden twice a season, id take Rogers.
    No kidding. As a UK and Bengals fan, it doesn't get much worse than this.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I'm assuming the Lions had salary cap issues, not the Bengals?
    The Bengals have plenty of cap room, so I would assume its the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    No kidding. As a UK and Bengals fan, it doesn't get much worse than this.
    Another bit of consolation, no matter how depressing this day is.

Cleveland has officially traded out of the first day of the draft. Corey Williams for a second round pick and Shaun Rogers for a third round pick.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    The Bengals have plenty of cap room, so I would assume its the Lions.
    If you read the ESPN article, the Bengals did not confirm the trade. That made it possible for the Lions to back out and take the better deal.

IMO, the Bengals were getting the better end of the deal. With the Browns giving up Bodden now, the deal favors Detroit.

So the lions couldnt handle the cap yet they can bring in Bodden? Im confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    So the lions couldnt handle the cap yet they can bring in Bodden? Im confused
    This has nothing to do with the Lions not being able to handle the cap. Mike Brown was an idiot and did not confirm the trade. Cleveland came in with a better offer and Detroit took it.

This has nothing to do with the Lions not being able to handle the cap. Mike Brown was an idiot and did not confirm the trade. Cleveland came in with a better offer and Detroit took it.
    Did you miss the Curnutte post or are you just refusing to read it?

Rogers has three years left on his contract. I am going to assume that he has a signing bonus that would have accelerated into the this year for the Lions, which is the same reason the Bengals can not trade Chad Johnson. I don't understand how they can trade him to Cleveland though.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Did you miss the Curnutte post or are you just refusing to read it?
    Yes, I read it, but I also read the ESPN column. Which is more believable?

I know its ESPN, but would it actually surprise you that Mike Brown would be incompetent enough not to sign off on a trade?

Yes, I read it, but I also read the ESPN column. Which is more believable?

I know its ESPN, but would it actually surprise you that Mike Brown would be incompetent enough not to sign off on a trade?
    ESPN story
    Updated: February 29, 2008, 9:47 PM ET

Marks
    posted by Mark at 10:20 PM 17 comments

This is the update from Bengals.com:

Bengals looking at more options

Updated: 11;50 p.m.

With ESPN.com reporting that the NFL has voided the Shaun Rogers trade because of language issues, the Bengals appear to be considering other options along their defensive front involving trades and/or unrestricted free agents.

If the league doesn't reverse its stance, one player that could be in their sights is Jets' tackle Dewayne Robertson, one of the players involved in a three-team deal with Rogers that didn't come off Friday morning and led to the Bengals' trade with Detroit in which the Bengals swapped their third- and fifth-round picks.

An NFL source confirmed the trade and most outlets reported it. As the night wore on, reports had Rogers going to Cleveland for cornerback Leigh Bodden and a draft pick and came at the end of a typically frenzied first day of free agency.

Turn Off Ads?