Thread: Injury creates opening for Janish

Injury creates opening for Janish

REDS NOTES
    Injury creates opening for Janish
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 01, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. Paul Janish is one of those young players who sits in a corner of the clubhouse see no evil, speak no evil and hopes when he gets noticed it is all positive.

So far, so good for the 25-year-old former shortstop for the Dayton Dragons. With Alex Gonzalez bogged under a fractured left knee for at least three weeks, Janish is getting early playing time, and his flashy glove is blinding the eyes of manager Dusty Baker right through his sunglasses.

"I guess that's a plus that good thoughts are in his mind when my name is brought up," Janish said when told of Baker's attention.

Janish's fielding always has been big-league caliber, but many wonder if he'll hit major-league pitching. Baker, though, noted that Janish has worked hard to sharpen his bat work.

"It was a slow year for me last year (.244 at Class AA Chattanooga and .221 at Class AAA Louisville), so I had to change something," he said.

Living in Texas near Adam Dunn and Jay Bruce helps.

"I worked out all winter with them," he said. "We had a pretty strong Reds contingent, and there were about 20 major-leaguers working out at the same place. It is easier to push yourself when you got guys around you.

"Early this spring, (Baker) is letting a lot of younger guys play, so hopefully, I leave a good impression," Janish said. "When it comes time to make decisions during the year, if a couple of guys get banged up, they'll think of me. Realistically, breaking camp with the team is a long shot, but things happen (such as Gonzalez getting hurt)."

Janish doubled Friday, Feb. 29, in the third inning and alertly tagged up and moved to third base on a fly ball to center field, then scored on a sacrifice fly, a heads-up play that caused Baker to make a special effort to congratulate him.

"That's what we teach, taking the extra base when we can," said Baker.

Gonzalez's diagnosis

Gonzalez was diagnosed with a compression fracture of the left knee, is on crutches and will do no baseball activity for three weeks. He will walk with crutches for at least the next week to take pressure off the knee. And he won't play for at least three weeks, then he'll be re-evaluated. Even if he is healed, that's only 10 days from Opening Day, making him a long shot to be in the lineup.

Gonzalez thought it was nothing more than a deep bone bruise, but team physician Dr. Tim Kremchek diagnosed the fracture Friday morning after looking at a bone scan taken Thursday, Feb. 28.

"Just rest," said Gonzalez. "I'll be on crutches for a week to take the pressure off the knee. No surgery. I don't need that. Just rest."

Meanwhile, Baker will look at Jeff Keppinger, Janish, Juan Castro and Adam Rosales during Gonzalez's absence.

Bray recuperating

Bill Bray threw off a mound for the first time this spring Thursday, and Baker sees a change in the left-handed relief pitcher's face.

"They say he is progressing, but I'm hoping he doesn't get too far behind," said Baker. "Other guys are getting a jump on him. He looks better in the face, when he seemed worried. Now he seems happier, which means his arm must feel better and he must be feeling better."

Catcher David Ross missed Friday's game with a tight back, but said he is getting better and expects to play Saturday.

Infielder/outfielder Jerry Gil, who had two hits in the first exhibition and a three-run homer in the second, is out indefinitely with a strained left quadriceps.

Quote of the day

Ken Griffey Jr., noting that Brandon Phillips wasn't in Friday's lineup said kiddingly: "He signed a four-year contract for $27 million and can't play a home game? He ain't old enough to change his own diaper."

Former Reds catcher Eddie Taubensee was in camp Friday and said facetiously: "This is the first year I'm eligible for the Hall of Fame, and I'm laying the groundwork. A friend mentioned it to me, and I said, 'Usually you have to make a few All-Star teams to make the Hall. At least the Reds retired my number (10), even if Sparky Anderson wore it before me."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Injury creates opening for Janish

I'm the biggest Paul Janish fan around right now. Because if Janish can make the team, then it should hopefully send Juan Castro out to the curb.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Baker on Adam Rosales:

The guy to keep an eye on is Rosales. He's made a great early impression at camp.

Rosales, 24, was the Reds' 12th-round pick in the 2005 draft. He hit .286 with 41 doubles, 11 triples, 18 home runs, 79 RBI and 13 steals last year.

"He doesn't look athletic," Baker said. "He just is athletic. He gets the job done big time. The more your around him, the more you like him, the more he grows on you. He's in the right place in right time. He's played well for us."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-ss-lineup.asp

I wonder how good defensively Rosales is at SS? I know he was moved off SS in the minors because of an arm injury but he's over that now.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm the biggest Paul Janish fan around right now. Because if Janish can make the team, then it should hopefully send Juan Castro out to the curb.
    Depending on the severity and duration of Gonzalez's injury, I think Keppinger would give us much more stick than Gonzo or Janish, but Janish is clearly the best defensive SS of the bunch.

This team sorely lacks defense, and I'd almost rather Janish trying to find himself at the plate while playing our best option of SS D, rather than Keppinger needing his bat to keep him in the lineup.

Regardless, I'll root for anyone if it means Juan Castro is no longer a Red.

Adam Rosales provides the best power out of all of them. He had 70 extra-base hits in roughly 500 atbats last season between Sarasota and Chattanooga, which was good enough for top ten in the minors for XBHs. Big bat but his defense is still a question mark at this point.

Paul Janish is clearly the best defender of the three but his bat is severely lacking compared to Rosales and Keppinger. He does provide some OBP skills but will he hit well enough to bump that OBP over .340? If he does ten he becomes at asset at SS.

Jeff Keppinger is most likely the favorite to start SS. His bat is very good, he doesn't provide as much power as Rosales but he'll put the ball in play more and provide a better OBP at this point IMO.

Makes me a bit happy to see Dusty high on some of the younger guys - gives me hope that the talk that he favors vets is a bunch of hooey.

I am rooting a bit for Janish - he's been a bit of a stud supersub on my MVP 2005 franchise - especially when he took over for an injured Gonzalez.

Man Pills

If Janish really is a great glove, then he's got to earn the starting spot. I just don't see any other option. Keppinger in an already lame infield (defensively) would just add to the defensive nightmare.

Would you folks feel comfortable with a guy if he could plays high level D but hits 220-230?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If Janish really is a great glove, then he's got to earn the starting spot. I just don't see any other option. Keppinger in an already lame infield (defensively) would just add to the defensive nightmare.
    I don't see where the infield defense is horrible. Brandon Phillips is a Gold Glove caliber defensive 2B and Edwin Encarnacion greatly improved last season IMO. His range at 3B is impressive. Votto isn't great but he's improving and could be average over there. Now SS, I'll agree with you there. Kepp's range is below average IMO. I don't mind him over there every now and then but not on a regular basis.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't see where the infield defense is horrible.
    I said "lame." However, it becomes "horrible" if Gonzalez gets replaced by Keppinger as opposed to Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Would you folks feel comfortable with a guy if he could plays high level D but hits 220-230?
    Why not? we've been stuck with the Castro man not playing good D and hitting poorly, why not at least have the D?
    Go Gators!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd prefer the good D guy to someone like Keppinger at SS. On this team especially.

The only "trouble spot" for infield D is SS. 1B is average at least and 3B and 2B are well above average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't see where the infield defense is horrible. Brandon Phillips is a Gold Glove caliber defensive 2B and Edwin Encarnacion greatly improved last season IMO. His range at 3B is impressive. Votto isn't great but he's improving and could be average over there. Now SS, I'll agree with you there. Kepp's range is below average IMO. I don't mind him over there every now and then but not on a regular basis.
    Agreed. That's my basic assessment of this infield defense, as well. And Keppinger is exactly who I want manning the SS position during times of injury to Gonzo. He played 47 games there last year, is familiar with Phillips, and showed a pretty good understanding for the nuances of the position.

He lacks above average range, and a cannon, but he makes everything in his fielding zone look pretty easy. Let a gloveman get a few starts at SS per week, but otherwise utilize this time of injury to get Keppinger on the field as an everyday player until Gonzo returns.
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-01-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd prefer the good D guy to someone like Keppinger at SS. On this team especially.
    This team played by far it's best baseball last year with virtually this same infield configuration, and during that span their defense actually showed better than it had during the early parts of the season (i.e. when Gonzo was booting everything in sight, and EdE was still somewhat shakey). It's not an elite infield defense by any stretch, and Keppinger is short-term stopgap rather than long-term solution, but it's certainly serviceable. I'm almost more worried about an outfield that promises to be substandard defensively at every position.
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-01-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?