Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training Rotation Clues

Spring Training Rotation Clues

I hate to make too much outta spring training - so please take this post w/ a grain of salt, but I notice that Dusty's starting rotation seems to be:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Affeldt
    Belisle
    Bailey

Even further evidence is that Dusty has been quoted several times saying something along the lines of "its nice to split up the rotation w/ a LH to give a team a different look during a series".... I think this might be Dusty's rotation by default... I'm surprised that it's Bailey instead of Fogg, to be honest ... but I can't say I'm upset about it. I'm not saying that everyone unconditionally has these spots .. but I think it might be Dusty's rotation of 1st impression.

Initial comments: Where's this leave Volquez? Fogg? Cueto? The LH side of the bullpen stinks w/o Affeldt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training Rotation Clues

I think you're reading too much in to the first round of games. I think it's too early to discern a particular pattern. Give it another two weeks and we'll start to see the shape of it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

well -its actually the 2nd round of games into which I'm reading (Trent has the upcoming games posted). Plus Dusty's comments about breaking up the righties w/a lefty... I'm thinking there's something to be said for the Harang, Arroyo, Affeldt, Belisle, Bailey thing...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I hate to make too much outta spring training - so please take this post w/ a grain of salt....
    I think that was good advice.

Did something happen to Fogg? I will surprised if he doesn't make the rotation.

I think all the young studs are headed for the bullpen or AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Did something happen to Fogg? I will surprised if he doesn't make the rotation.
    I thought the same thing ... but WK said Fogg's an option while Dusty says "I pick the best arms" ... If Bailey makes the rotation ahead of Fogg - I guess he could be a long relief man in the pen and step into the rotation if someone falters.

If Affeldt does well, I have no problem w/ him being the 3rd starter --- considering Dusty's comments I have every inclination to think that if Affeldt pitches well enough to make the rotation, then he'll be our 3rd starter...

When a manager runs out the exact same SP rotation 2
    rotations in a row ... and then he stretches those same guys out to 3 innings instead of 2 (like we saw w/ Affeldt today) .. I gotta think he's "trying out his rotation" ...

I'm just saying that I bet Dusty's inclination is the following: Harang/Arroyo/Affeldt/Belisle/Bailey... and as long as each of those guys earn their spot ... I have no problem w/ it.

I mean I'm talking "Spring Training Rotation Clues" here ... not "Dusty's Bakers Starting Rotation - Like it or Lump it".

If Dusty seriously "takes the best arms north" - I gotta think Bailey, Cueto, Volquez are in the group. If you throw in the obligatory addition of Fogg - the BP would be the following considering the ST rotation sticks:

Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Bray?/Roenicke
    Coutlangus
    Fogg

Turn Off Ads?